The Pittsburgh Penguins

MattMilone

Previous Designs:

The Ottawa Senators

The next team is the Pittsburgh Penguins, who have had some really great sweaters in their history (like that lovely Winter Classic jersey), and some rather hideous unis (see: the "gradient" away jerseys used in the late 90's). Hopefully, this concept at least isn't as bad as those were. Anywho, no more black. Why? The Pens switched to black and yellow the season the Pirates and Steelers both took championships home, thus they wanted to join in on the scheme. However, it's obvious people really dig the dark blue/light blue thing, since the Pens love sporting their third jersey. So think of it this way: back to the old blue n' blue, but with the gold added in. Or, the black is replaced by the darker blue, with light blue sprinkled in. Obviously though, this change is all about execution, so . . .

For they unis, I wanted to create a unique EDGE-cut jersey that put all those annoying All-Star template jerseys to shame. I wanted to give the Pens something that progressed their uniform history, spice up their current design, which is rather boring as far a creativity with the cut. So, I'd love to get lots of C&C, because this could either be great, or god-awful. You tell me . . .

Pittsburg_Home.png

Pittsburg_Away.png

Pittsburg_Third.png

Pittsburg_PS.png

NOTE: I do in fact know how to spell Pittsburgh, just happened to create and save 4 files without noticing a missing "h" :P

This is a really good effort. I like the basic design (and I usually don't like "modern" designs), it's sleek and clean. But the colors just don't work, sorry. The gold and light blue in particular really clash, and kind of combine to form a combo of the two, which is really ugly. I like the powder blue and navy together, but I'd just stick with navy and gold. That's a combo that really looks good (see: Notre Dame). There's enough powder blue on that (gorgeous) third jersey to go around, and I think it's better to go in a new direction rather than combine two. The collar needs a little spicing up, particularly on the road jersey, and if you do stick with powder blue I'd put some in the numbers.

Please don't take all this criticism as a bad thing. You've done a really good job on the presentation, and I like the general idea. Just change those things I mentioned (and add a shoulder patch) and it's golden in my eyes.

scotland_fifasig.png

I really like the overall direction here. So here is some C&C.

PROS:

? The color scheme, still has the "Golden Triangle" idea, and provides synergy with the Pitt color scheme.

? The striping style: it's modern crisp and fit the line quality of the logo.

CONS:

? The logo should have some light blue in it, as should more of the jersey (maybe on the collar).

? Speaking of the collar, I cant really see it. There should be a more visible gap where to neck hole is.

? This jersey is pretty modern. What about a stylized block numeral font?

? On the thirds, I would use the navy/gold logo you used, possibly with a little light blue mixed in like I previously mentioned.

Hope that helps.

These are stellar! An interesting take at it, but I like them.

usajohnson.gif

98% of people claim to have "brought sexy back." Well, I'm the 2% that never left.

Hometown Heroes

Dallas Stars- Brenden Morrow // Marty Turco // Loui Erikkson

Dallas Mavericks- Dirk Nowitzki // Jason Kidd // Jason Terry

Dallas Cowboys- Terrell Owens // DeMarcus Ware // Terence Newman // Felix Jones

Texas Rangers- Ian Kinsler // Elvis Andrus // Marlon Byrd

Previous Designs:

The Ottawa Senators

Pittsburg_Home.png

Pittsburg_Away.png

Pittsburg_Third.png

Pittsburg_PS.png

NOTE: I do in fact know how to spell Pittsburgh, just happened to create and save 4 files without noticing a missing "h" :P

Nice Effort, but the blue is just not a good color for the Pens. It might be good as a retro jersey, but it's just bad when it's worn all the time. It's bad here and else where for 4 reasons:

1. Black and Gold are symbols of the city of Pittsburgh. They come from the city flag, which in turn comes from the family colors of William Pitt.

2. Black and Gold are also good colors for a team called "the Penguins", seeing as these colors appear on many species of Penguins.

3. Only a handful of teams outside of Pittsburgh use black and gold as primary colors, and Blue and gold, even blue and white, are used in many places. Using these would lose the individuality of the team.

4. Here especially, the powder blue just doesn't work well with the gold.

A good concept though.

1909.png1925.png1960.png1971.png1979.png

1991copycopy.png

these colours just work, it is, as previously stated, an interesting look at the pens' branding, it like to see it with the darker blue changed to black, I'm not sure it would work but I'd be interested to see it. I like the concept but as a penguins fan I am not sure about using navy for them.

~?~

A nice use of the old all-star template.

On the white jersey, I'd make the thin white piping on the sleeve that is between the thin gold and thick light blue navy.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Im liking the addition of the powder blue and the navy. This is a great looking set and if the rumours are true about the Pens adopting new colours when they move into there new arena, Id love to see them wearing these.

beLEAF

Nice! I really like this concept. The altered all-star template is pretty cool, and the pants look fantastic. I agree with the people that say the navy should be black. I will say this: the number font looks good on its own, but I don't think it looks good with the striping...I would use something more rounded, more modern, like the font used with last year's all-star jerseys. Another thing, when I work with collars that are the same color as the jersey, I usually make a distinction between them, you could outline it or make it a darker shade of the base color, just a tip, but I think it helps with the presentation.

Also, is this really only part II? I thought you did the Coyotes and a few other teams.

Its pretty good. Nothing id like to see them actually wear. Dont get me wrong though, it looks good. Well presented, to. One thing I mostly dislike about it is the mixture of blue and gold, as well as the recycling of the old all star template, the continued use of the '68 throwbacks as a third, and coloring the penguin blue.

It looks good, but I dont think it makes much sense, for the lack of a better term.

oBIgzrL.png

The one thing that I'm really not diggin' here is the gold. I'd honestly go with a brighter yellow. Combined with the blues, the gold color just seems so muted. I think the yellow would just pop. Although I prefer the Pens to be black & gold/yellow to match the city, these really do look great.

Archived