Rank the NFL uniforms

ryanlion13

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27. Miami Dolphins - Oh hey, lets "update" by adding black and a drop shadow . . . hmmm deja vu?

With your obvious writing gifts, I'm surprised a major magazine hasn't snapped you up yet. You're wasting your talents here.

BTW - there's no black in the Dolphins uniforms.

Seriously? Theres no black line running inside the teal striping on the helmet or pants? Theres no black dropshadow on the numbers?

no it is navy blue throughout the entire uniform set. and no i am not a fan of just adding in colors, but the fins do it ever so slightly. i mean when you think of their uniforms you still think aqua and orange...update needed but the current set is not the worst in the league its probably one of the best updates in the '90's

Is that navy? Nevermind. What do you know, that is navy. I apologize. I need to get my eyes checked. I'll stick to my opinion, though, that I don't like the drop shadow.

I don't think anyone on this board does. And iirc I thought the navy blue was supposed to be dropped from the entire color scheme.....

I happen to like the drop shadow a lot, especially after last season's revision. I think that the Dolphins updated their look brilliantly.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I happen to like the drop shadow a lot, especially after last season's revision. I think that the Dolphins updated their look brilliantly.

Last season's revision? Did they modify the drop-shadow or something?

They reduced it some. There was a thread on here about it.

EDIT: Here's some of the discussion about it, though the juicy stuff is probably burried in one of thosoe stupid all-encompasing un-searchable mega-threads.

http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?sh...hadow&st=20

http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?s=...st&p=746128

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Real List

1. Oakland- classics silver and black nuff said "committment to ineptitude err......excellence"

2. Pittsburgh- go back to the block numbers

3. Green Bay- going with the black shoes blends well

4. Chicago- like the orange alt and all white look

5. NY Giants- another classic like the road set and bring back the red alt

6. Cleveland- another classic look like to see the striped socks with the road set more, no more brown pants, no logo that's why it's unique.

7. Indianapolis- Classic, I kind of like the solid blue socks

8. Tampa Bay- Pewter Power

9. Washngton- bring back the striped socks with the road set

10. Dallas- do something with the blue unis

11. NY Jets- like the unis not boring to me

12. Denver- I would like for them tho use the orange crush era unis as an alt.

13. Philly- Like the look could use a little bit more silver

14. Baltimore- underrated uni, and the white on black looks hard

15. Carolina- like the alt and is due for black pants

16. Kansas City- a lot of teams looks penalizes them in the list they should be higher, use the all white look on a few occasions

17. St. Louis- I would like for them to use the old era unis with the modernized colors or go back to the old unis get rid of the white pants

18. Jacksonville- dont like the new pants striping

19. New England- unis need a tuning up

20. New Orleans- nice unis no more black pants with the white jersey

21. Houston- don't like the all red look\, but logo looks sweet to me

22. Tennessee- they cant make up their mind with combos

23. Detroit- get rid of the black accents (millen's idea) it was a top 5 until millen screwed it up, hate the black alt, glad they went to the throwback as the alt.

24. Seattle- the monochrome reminds me of the failed dallas mavericks P.Diddy designed alt, like the all white look, lets pray for no lime green alt.

25. San Diego- not feeling it yet, I would like to see an all blue look at home and all white look on the road

26. San Francisco- go back to the 80's era look with modifications

27. Miami- tweak that arena football look they have and use teal socks with the teal pants

28. Atlanta- the 1984-1989 look was the best look ever, like their new logo, but maybe its the vick era

29. Buffalo- the late Tim Russert said they looked like the Montreal Allouettes in those unis, I see why. I dig their throwback alt

30. Arizona- not feeling it yet maybe an black at would work

31. Minnesota- the new design was the worst idea than showing up top a party with a........oh never mind, only two more years so they can turn back the clock once and for all.

32. Cincinnati- the poster child for ugliness, I like their last look they had, but messed it all up with that design, Buffalo was the worst until cincinnati took the torch as the worst.

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

Since it seems he just posted random thoughts about the uniforms to simply start a thread, I present my critiques of his critiques:

1. Indianapolis Colts - I lean heavily old school. I also love teams who's helmet logo is balanced going forward (not reversed). Indy is perfect. They were even better with striped socks.

2. Pittsburgh Steelers - Again, old school. I like the new uni numbers. The one sided logo is unique.

Been discussed.

3. NY Giants - Flipped helmet logo and red alt keep this from the top spot.

4. Chicago Bears - Flipped helmet logo and orange alt keep this from the two spot.

NYG and the Bears have been discussed, so I won't beat a dead horse.

5. Washington Redskins - Great colors. Balanced helmet logo. Classic look.

6. St Louis Rams - Best of the new gen. Good balance to division rival 9ers. Simple, but modern with the shoulder stripes.

"Modern with shoulder stripes." Just something about that statement makes me chuckle and disallows me from taking it seriously. And good balance to the Niners? What balance? I didn't realize the two teams were trying to create a balance.

7. Green Bay Packers - Reduced striping on the sleeves and solid green socks keep this from the top 3.

Simplifying the previous clutter and green socks knock this down from potentially #3 to #7? Ok.

8. Philly Eagles - Dark color set works well for this update. Black actually works with it.

You think the 49ers and, evidently the Dolphins, "threw" black in for the hell of it and it looks bad, but the Eagles using black with a color that appears almost black to the point they're almost indistinguishable, works? ...

9. Tampa Bay Buccs - Great Revamp! Switched to great color set and even used old color as a slight touch to the uni.

10. Cleveland Browns - Could use a logo identity other than just the helmet. Would love to see numbers used on helmet ala Alabama.

You criticize the Giants and Bears for correctly flipping a letter so it's not backwards, and the Packers for reducing cluttered stripes, yet you want the Browns to add a logo?

11. Kansas City Chiefs - Classic look in need of some slight tweaking.

12. NY Jets - Classic look is nice. But white and green color set is just boring. Personal opinion.

How about Black instead?

13. Oakland Raiders - Timeless look. Like the Jets, boring. Could use a tweak. Or maybe just a few wins

14. Carolina Panthers - Been a fan for awhile. Simple new helmet striping. Solid home with panther blacks and grey, nice whites away. Bright blue good color compliment.

15. Denver Broncos - Only Nu School I'm a fan of. New logo and coloring works well. Modern striping is simple and not cluttered.

16. Baltimore Ravens - Nu school logo, with a virtually old school uni. Only problems I see are the use of unstriped black pants and the B on the hip.

17. San Diego Chargers - Nice update. Used darker color for regular set and old school brights for alt. White Helmet a plus. Shoulder swatch with bolt is a bit blocky.

18. Jacksonville Jaguars - Love the regular set. Normally I'd hate teal. Helmet logo is great. I hate the stripless black pants and black jersey. Gives a sweatsuit feel.

19. Dallas Cowboys - Worst Classic. I know they are supposed to be "quirky", but they use 3 or four different blues and 3 silvers between both regular sets. Lame. The dark jersey "away" just sucks.

20. Detroit Lions - A little better use of black in an "update". Still feels forced, but it kinda works.

Yet the Niners was unnecessary?

21. New Orleans Saints - Ok regular set. The lighter gold kinda sucks. The Archie Manning gold and striping is cooler. Another team with stripless black pants and solid black "sweatsuit" uni.

Strip-e-less, not stripless.

22. New England Patriots - Another Nu Schooler. I liked it for awhile. Now I'm not liking the grey shoulders along with some of the red piping. It's not horrible, just eh.

23. Houston Texans - Its alright uni wise. The Texan logo sucks.

Can't even respectfully comment on that.

24. Tennessee Titans - WAY TOO MANY options in use. I love the dark with white pants home and the white with baby blue pant aways. The shoulder look is great. But too many version of the home jersey and too many pant variations to wear home or away are annoying.

They have 2, no more than any other team with an alternate jersey.

25. Seattle Seahawks - I just can't tell what I feel here. It may be higher than I ranked. I love the all white away. Logo is good, and I don't mind the lime accents. The gun metal monochrome is just a no for me. I don't like dark color monochrome. But I don't know if I'd like the white pants at home eaither. Again, I love the helmet.

You do realize that's blue, don't ya?

26. San Fran 49ers - Oh hey, lets "update" by adding black and a drop shadow. Lot of thought here.

27. Miami Dolphins - Oh hey, lets "update" by adding black and a drop shadow . . . hmmm deja vu?

See your own comments on the Eagles and you'll see why you basically have no credibility here. Especially when you thought it was black for the Dolphins and not navy. How's anyone gonna take your critiques seriously when you don't even know what colors are being used. Not to mention these are 2 of the better updates in recent years.

28. Buffalo Bills - This would be a lot higher if they picked on blue, got rid of the red stripe on both jerseys, and stopped wearing dark monochrome at home.

Finally one I actually rather agree with.

29. Atlanta Falcons - I'm not Nu School, I hate colors going everywhere. But this is the least annoying.

30. Minnesota Vikings - They play in a division of classic teams and had a classic uni they could have tweaked. Ouch.

31. Arizona Cardinals - No surprise they wanted a new identity but come on. There are lines going everywhere.

32. Cincinnati Bengals - Tiger striping was a bad idea in the 80's and its worse now. Just horrible.

It seems you think all the classic stuff is boring, and any of the updated classic (meaning no drastic changes) uniforms look too "Nu Skool". (BTW, that is one helluva dorky term to use constantly). Doesn't make much sense.

1. Anything that is old and "traditional" (preferably something that was worn when Herbert Hoover was in office).

32. Anything that is new and "non-traditional" (anything that dares to look unique not be something out of the olden days).

How's that. :P

At least you didn't put, "1. Any team that wears the same color jersey, pants AND socks." ^_^

Instead of a straight 1-32 ranking, I'll do mine division/playoff-style. Division "champs" are in bold, "wild cards" in white.

AFC North: Steelers, Ravens, Bengals, Browns

AFC East: Jets, Dolphins, Patriots, Bills

AFC South: Colts, Texans, Jaguars, Titans

AFC West: Chargers, Broncos, Raiders, Chiefs

AFC Wild Card Playoffs: Jets over Texans, Ravens over Chargers

AFC Divisional Playoffs: Steelers over Jets, Colts over Ravens

AFC Championship Game: Colts over Steelers

NFC North: Packers, Bears, Vikings, Lions

NFC East: Eagles, Giants, Cowboys, Redskins

NFC South: Buccaneers, Saints, Falcons, Panthers

NFC West: Seahawks, Rams, 49ers, Cardinals

NFC Wild Card Playoffs: Packers over Giants, Bears over Seahawks

NFC Divisional Playoffs: Buccaneers over Bears, Eagles over Packers

NFC Championship Game: Buccaneers over Eagles

Super Bowl: Buccaneers over Colts

CCSLC signature.png

1. Anything that is old and "traditional" (preferably something that was worn when Herbert Hoover was in office).

32. Anything that is new and "non-traditional" (anything that dares to look unique not be something out of the olden days).

Sounds about right.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

These are just my personal opinions. No use critiquing it, so save yourself the trouble.

1. Dallas Cowboys - Blue and silver: love it. My favorite color scheme. Unfortunatley they have a lot of different shades...

2. Chicago Bears - Really nice jerseys. Classic, and you just can't beat a simple navy blue and orange design.

3. Miami Dolphins - I really can't think of a time where this team had bad jerseys. Always been a nice, memorable classic.

4. Kansas City Chiefs - Simple, classic, beautiful. Please, never add unecessary black stripes.

5. Carolina Panthers - I saw these jerseys up close, and I'm loving the light shade of blue.

6. Cleveland Browns - Hell, I should rank these first for being the ONLY professional team to use any shade of brown.

7. Washington Redskins - Really not much to say. Great uniforms all around.

8. Baltimore Ravens - There's something about these unis that attract me to it. Nothing flashy... just great looking.

9. Oakland Raiders - I prefer the white jerseys over the black ones. Black and silver looks good on a football uniform.

10. Arizona Cardinals - An actual nicely done revamped uniform.

11. New York Jets - Classics, but they are a tad boring. Just can't beat the green, though. Their "Titans" uniform is just an eyesore.

12. Pittsburgh Steelers - True classics. Even their throwbacks look nice, in my opinion...

13. Philadelphia Eagles - Kelly green uniforms were much better, but hey, these aren't bad.

14. Tennessee Titans - These uniforms can look great, but can also look boring. As for the actual jerseys, not bad.

15. San Diego Chargers - Not a big fan of the navy jerseys. I did like how they incorporated powder blue into all of their jerseys, however.

16. Green Bay Packers - There's probably not a person alive who doesn't know what these guys look like. Great unis, probably should've ranked them higher...

17. New Orleans Saints - Please quit wearing the black pants so much. It's OK once in a while, but that's not your main look. You're not intimidating anybody.

18. Denver Broncos - I prefer the "orange crush" era jerseys slightly. Actually a nice modern look... they just look too much like the Bears in my opinion.

19. Houston Texans - Not much to say. Clean set. Just try pairing red jerseys with blue pants, or vice versa.

20. Jacksonville Jaguars - The teal is starting to wear off on me. These used to be my favorites. Still good, though.

21. Tampa Bay Bucaneers - Did I spell their name right? Probably not. I actually like that they retained orange in their scheme. I guess I could have ranked them higher.

22. Seattle Seahawks - Unique unis, but I'd like it if they didn't go monochrome every single game.

23. Buffalo Bills - Really hated scheme around here... not the greatest, but not the worst.

24. San Franisco 49ers - Would be higher if they went back to their classic 80's jerseys. Here's hoping that they do.

25. St. Louis Rams - Ugh, I'm getting tired of teams that switch from royal blue to navy. WHY the change? Royal blue looks better, anyways. Oh well, it's the Rams.

26. Indianapolis Colts - Way overrated. OK, these are as classic as they get... but that doesn't mean it can't be boring.

27. Minnesota Vikings - The unis before they switched were better in my opinion. Atleast wear the purple pants more often.

28. New England Patriots - Hey, let's turn our blue into a much darker shade! Yeah, the kids these days will love that!

29. Cincinnati Bengals - I actually don't mind these... But bleh. In a league with great unis, it's hard to rank them above much.

30. Detroit Lions - These would be my #1 if they went back to the unis they wore prior to 2002. I feel that deeply about the black stripes and outlines.

31. Atlanta Falcons - Boo. Cluttered. I actually like their white jerseys paired with the black pants but they don't wear those often.

32. New York Giants - ZZZZ... boring, plain jerseys. Pants are actually okay.

These are just my personal opinions. No use critiquing it, so save yourself the trouble.

1. Dallas Cowboys - Blue and silver: love it. My favorite color scheme. Unfortunatley they have a lot of different shades...

2. Chicago Bears - Really nice jerseys. Classic, and you just can't beat a simple navy blue and orange design.

3. Miami Dolphins - I really can't think of a time where this team had bad jerseys. Always been a nice, memorable classic.

4. Kansas City Chiefs - Simple, classic, beautiful. Please, never add unecessary black stripes.

5. Carolina Panthers - I saw these jerseys up close, and I'm loving the light shade of blue.

6. Cleveland Browns - Hell, I should rank these first for being the ONLY professional team to use any shade of brown.

8. Baltimore Ravens - There's something about these unis that attract me to it. Nothing flashy... just great looking.

9. Oakland Raiders - I prefer the white jerseys over the black ones. Black and silver looks good on a football uniform.

11. New York Jets - Classics, but they are a tad boring. Just can't beat the green, though. Their "Titans" uniform is just an eyesore.

12. Pittsburgh Steelers - True classics. Even their throwbacks look nice, in my opinion...

13. Philadelphia Eagles - Kelly green uniforms were much better, but hey, these aren't bad.

14. Tennessee Titans - These uniforms can look great, but can also look boring. As for the actual jerseys, not bad.

15. San Diego Chargers - Not a big fan of the navy jerseys. I did like how they incorporated powder blue into all of their jerseys, however.

16. Green Bay Packers - There's probably not a person alive who doesn't know what these guys look like. Great unis, probably should've ranked them higher...

17. New Orleans Saints - Please quit wearing the black pants so much. It's OK once in a while, but that's not your main look. You're not intimidating anybody.

18. Denver Broncos - I prefer the "orange crush" era jerseys slightly. Actually a nice modern look... they just look too much like the Bears in my opinion.

19. Houston Texans - Not much to say. Clean set. Just try pairing red jerseys with blue pants, or vice versa.

20. Jacksonville Jaguars - The teal is starting to wear off on me. These used to be my favorites. Still good, though.

21. Tampa Bay Bucaneers - Did I spell their name right? Probably not. I actually like that they retained orange in their scheme. I guess I could have ranked them higher.

22. Seattle Seahawks - Unique unis, but I'd like it if they didn't go monochrome every single game.

23. Buffalo Bills - Really hated scheme around here... not the greatest, but not the worst.

24. San Franisco 49ers - Would be higher if they went back to their classic 80's jerseys. Here's hoping that they do.

25. St. Louis Rams - Ugh, I'm getting tired of teams that switch from royal blue to navy. WHY the change? Royal blue looks better, anyways. Oh well, it's the Rams.

26. Indianapolis Colts - Way overrated. OK, these are as classic as they get... but that doesn't mean it can't be boring.

27. Minnesota Vikings - The unis before they switched were better in my opinion. Atleast wear the purple pants more often.

28. New England Patriots - Hey, let's turn our blue into a much darker shade! Yeah, the kids these days will love that!

29. Cincinnati Bengals - I actually don't mind these... But bleh. In a league with great unis, it's hard to rank them above much.

30. Detroit Lions - These would be my #1 if they went back to the unis they wore prior to 2002. I feel that deeply about the black stripes and outlines.

31. Atlanta Falcons - Boo. Cluttered. I actually like their white jerseys paired with the black pants but they don't wear those often.

Wow... a guy with Dallas in his name loves the Cowboys, hates the Giants.

...didn't see that coming.

No way dude. Here's the order:

1. Favorite team: I'm not being subjective here, they just happen to be the best.

2-31. Random teams: Some order that is definitely right.

32. Hated rival: Not only does the team suck, but the uniforms do too.

(And it's not Herbert Hoover, but Dwight Eisenhower.)

Thats the spirit. I don't agree with you on a few things (cough, Arizona, cough) but its a pretty good list!

Sounds about right.

That does sound about right. Although I'd replace (anything that dares to look unique) with (anything that looks like the football equivalent of a rhorshach test). And I may be 28, but since when were the 60's and 70's the "olden" days?

Instead of a straight 1-32 ranking, I'll do mine division/playoff-style. Division "champs" are in bold, "wild cards" in white.

AFC North: Steelers, Ravens, Bengals, Browns

AFC East: Jets, Dolphins, Patriots, Bills

AFC West: Chargers, Broncos, Raiders, Chiefs

AFC Wild Card Playoffs: Jets over Texans, Ravens over Chargers

AFC Divisional Playoffs: Steelers over Jets, Colts over Ravens

AFC Championship Game: Colts over Steelers

NFC South: Buccaneers, Saints, Falcons, Panthers

NFC West: Seahawks, Rams, 49ers, Cardinals

NFC Wild Card Playoffs: Packers over Giants, Bears over Seahawks

NFC Divisional Playoffs: Buccaneers over Bears, Eagles over Packers

NFC Championship Game: Buccaneers over Eagles

Super Bowl: Buccaneers over Colts

I like the format! Thats a unique idea. Heres how mine would play out - and before the bitchers starting bitching, yes I'm sure a few of these will contradict my original rankings a little. Oh :censored:ing well.

AFC North - Steelers, Ravens, Browns, Bengals

AFC East - Jets, Dolphins, Pats, Bills

AFC West - Chiefs, Raiders, Broncos, Chargers

AFC South - Colts, Jags, Titans, Texans

WCs- Ravens, Jags

Jets over Jags, Ravens over Chiefs

Colts over Ravens, Steelers over Jets

Colts over Steelers

NFC North - Bears, Packers, Lions Vikes

NFC East - Giants, Skins, Eagles, Boys

NFC West - Rams, 9ers, Hawks, Cards

NFC South - Buccs, Panthers, Saints, Falcons

WCs - Skins, Eagles

Buccs over Eagles, Skins over Rams

Giants over Skins, Bears over Buccs

Giants over Bears

SB - Colts over Giants

Yeah, I may need to tweak my original rankings.

I enjoy the playoff format system. I'll bite as well.

Division winners in bold, Wild Cards in italic.

AFC North: Steelers, Ravens, Browns, Bengals

AFC East: Jets, Patriots, Dolphins, Bills

AFC West: Raiders, Broncos, Chargers, Chiefs

AFC Wild Card Playoffs: Colts over Ravens, Patriots over Raiders

AFC Divisional Playoffs: Jets over Colts, Steelers over Patriots

AFC Championship Game: Jets over Steelers

NFC South: Buccaneers, Falcons, Saints, Panthers

NFC West: Rams, 49ers, Seahawks, Cardinals

NFC Wild Card Playoffs: Rams over Giants, Eagles over 49ers

NFC Divisional Playoffs: Packers over Eagles, Buccaneers over Rams

NFC Championship Game: Packers over Buccaneers

Super Bowl: Packers over Jets (Ha, just realized it's the Favre Bowl!)

Archived