Rank the NFL uniforms

ryanlion13

A thread about the 49ers possible uniform changes has inspired me to start a thread where everyone can rank and debate the current set of NFL uniforms. Let's see where people flush out. Old School? Nu School? Great Taste? Less Filling? I'll start with my 1-32 ranks. Feel free to respond, criticize, offer your own rankings. Whatever.

1. Indianapolis Colts - I lean heavily old school. I also love teams who's helmet logo is balanced going forward (not reversed). Indy is perfect. They were even better with striped socks.

2. Pittsburgh Steelers - Again, old school. I like the new uni numbers. The one sided logo is unique.

3. NY Giants - Flipped helmet logo and red alt keep this from the top spot.

4. Chicago Bears - Flipped helmet logo and orange alt keep this from the two spot.

5. Washington Redskins - Great colors. Balanced helmet logo. Classic look.

6. St Louis Rams - Best of the new gen. Good balance to division rival 9ers. Simple, but modern with the shoulder stripes.

7. Green Bay Packers - Reduced striping on the sleeves and solid green socks keep this from the top 3.

8. Philly Eagles - Dark color set works well for this update. Black actually works with it.

9. Tampa Bay Buccs - Great Revamp! Switched to great color set and even used old color as a slight touch to the uni.

10. Cleveland Browns - Could use a logo identity other than just the helmet. Would love to see numbers used on helmet ala Alabama.

11. Kansas City Chiefs - Classic look in need of some slight tweaking.

12. NY Jets - Classic look is nice. But white and green color set is just boring. Personal opinion.

13. Oakland Raiders - Timeless look. Like the Jets, boring. Could use a tweak. Or maybe just a few wins

14. Carolina Panthers - Been a fan for awhile. Simple new helmet striping. Solid home with panther blacks and grey, nice whites away. Bright blue good color compliment.

15. Denver Broncos - Only Nu School I'm a fan of. New logo and coloring works well. Modern striping is simple and not cluttered.

16. Baltimore Ravens - Nu school logo, with a virtually old school uni. Only problems I see are the use of unstriped black pants and the B on the hip.

17. San Diego Chargers - Nice update. Used darker color for regular set and old school brights for alt. White Helmet a plus. Shoulder swatch with bolt is a bit blocky.

18. Jacksonville Jaguars - Love the regular set. Normally I'd hate teal. Helmet logo is great. I hate the stripless black pants and black jersey. Gives a sweatsuit feel.

19. Dallas Cowboys - Worst Classic. I know they are supposed to be "quirky", but they use 3 or four different blues and 3 silvers between both regular sets. Lame. The dark jersey "away" just sucks.

20. Detroit Lions - A little better use of black in an "update". Still feels forced, but it kinda works.

21. New Orleans Saints - Ok regular set. The lighter gold kinda sucks. The Archie Manning gold and striping is cooler. Another team with stripless black pants and solid black "sweatsuit" uni.

22. New England Patriots - Another Nu Schooler. I liked it for awhile. Now I'm not liking the grey shoulders along with some of the red piping. It's not horrible, just eh.

23. Houston Texans - Its alright uni wise. The Texan logo sucks.

24. Tennessee Titans - WAY TOO MANY options in use. I love the dark with white pants home and the white with baby blue pant aways. The shoulder look is great. But too many version of the home jersey and too many pant variations to wear home or away are annoying.

25. Seattle Seahawks - I just can't tell what I feel here. It may be higher than I ranked. I love the all white away. Logo is good, and I don't mind the lime accents. The gun metal monochrome is just a no for me. I don't like dark color monochrome. But I don't know if I'd like the white pants at home eaither. Again, I love the helmet.

26. San Fran 49ers - Oh hey, lets "update" by adding black and a drop shadow. Lot of thought here.

27. Miami Dolphins - Oh hey, lets "update" by adding black and a drop shadow . . . hmmm deja vu?

28. Buffalo Bills - This would be a lot higher if they picked on blue, got rid of the red stripe on both jerseys, and stopped wearing dark monochrome at home.

29. Atlanta Falcons - I'm not Nu School, I hate colors going everywhere. But this is the least annoying.

30. Minnesota Vikings - They play in a division of classic teams and had a classic uni they could have tweaked. Ouch.

31. Arizona Cardinals - No surprise they wanted a new identity but come on. There are lines going everywhere.

32. Cincinnati Bengals - Tiger striping was a bad idea in the 80's and its worse now. Just horrible.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27. Miami Dolphins - Oh hey, lets "update" by adding black and a drop shadow . . . hmmm deja vu?

With your obvious writing gifts, I'm surprised a major magazine hasn't snapped you up yet. You're wasting your talents here.

BTW - there's no black in the Dolphins uniforms.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4. Chicago Bears - Flipped helmet logo and orange alt keep this from the two spot.

This would apply to your comments for the Giants as well... how the hell would you not want them to flip the helmet logo? Do you want a backwards "C" on the Bears helmets? Perhaps an inverted "NY" logo that's illegible on the Giants helmets?

Please explain your "flipped helmet logo" thing. Do you think backwards letters look better than regular letters? I don't get this.

1/27/09- It was me, and I am sorry.

6. St Louis Rams - Best of the new gen. Good balance to division rival 9ers. Simple, but modern with the shoulder stripes.

9. Tampa Bay Buccs - Great Revamp! Switched to great color set and even used old color as a slight touch to the uni.

15. Denver Broncos - Only Nu School I'm a fan of. New logo and coloring works well. Modern striping is simple and not cluttered.

Please help me with this as you rank two others over the only one you are a fan of?

BBTV, you were spot on.

Do we really need another of these threads?

Do you really have to pile on to every thread, TC? It's ok to not post an opinion in a thread (that's already been posted a few times before you).

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Please help me with this as you rank two others over the only one you are a fan of?

BBTV, you were spot on.

I don't consider Rams and Bucs unis "nu school".

When I think of "nu school", the Bills, the Bengals, the Broncos, the Patriots, the Vikings come to mind.

uta-big-sam-little-uta.png

BBTV, you were spot on.

When I think of "nu school", the Bills, the Bengals, the Broncos, the Patriots, the Vikings come to mind.

Yet the Broncos came out before the Rams and the same time as the Bucs.

And the texans logo does not suck. Probably one of the best NFL logos to date.

Everyone seems to be forgetting the simple equation, "nu school" = bad. Therefore, any good uniforms that have come out recently can not be considered "new school".

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

BBTV, you were spot on.

Yet the Broncos came out before the Rams and the same time as the Bucs.

And the texans logo does not suck. Probably one of the best NFL logos to date.

The NU School, as the guy points out, revolves around these "futuristic" horrible designs. Its not just about when a revamp takes place, but how its executed. The old style of uniform never had matching curved lines on the jersey and pants. It never had a pointed line starting from the back of the helmet. Ergo, the Broncos belong with the new designs. The Rams and Buccs are simple revamps that fit into the classic mold of uniforms.

Please explain your "flipped helmet logo" thing. Do you think backwards letters look better than regular letters? I don't get this.

Christ I didn't think people heads would explode over this. I'm a fan of symmetry. So as much as I like the design of teams like Chicago and the Giants, I also have a little tiny annoyance with seeing a guys head turn and seeing something unsymmetrical on the helmet. Did I say I think they should have initials going the wrong way? No. Its not like I don't understand. I was just illuminating a tiny bit of personal annoyance and reason for why I rank the Colts ahead of the Bears. It's no big deal.

Christ I didn't think people heads would explode over this. I'm a fan of symmetry. So as much as I like the design of teams like Chicago and the Giants, I also have a little tiny annoyance with seeing a guys head turn and seeing something unsymmetrical on the helmet. Did I say I think they should have initials going the wrong way? No. Its not like I don't understand. I was just illuminating a tiny bit of personal annoyance and reason for why I rank the Colts ahead of the Bears. It's no big deal.

So you're a fan of symmetry, but the Steelers as your #2?

With your obvious writing gifts, I'm surprised a major magazine hasn't snapped you up yet. You're wasting your talents here.

Seriously? Theres no black line running inside the teal striping on the helmet or pants? Theres no black dropshadow on the numbers?

So you're a fan of symmetry, but the Steelers as your #2?

No, thats a good point. I used to hate it. Now I see it as something unique that helps establish the uniforms identity.

Man people are snide. I thought it may be interesting to get a sample of what people think of the current class of NFL uniforms. Instead I get people annoyed at my own opinion. Good job guys. Anyone want to try and share their own opinions?

Man people are snide. I thought it may be interesting to get a sample of what people think of the current class of NFL uniforms. Instead I get people annoyed at my own opinion. Good job guys. Anyone want to try and share their own opinions?

We do. All the time. It's a sports logos community, for pete's sake.

We're just asking you to defend your choices, don't get all defensive about it. If you have solid reasons, use them to back up your opinions.

Seriously? Theres no black line running inside the teal striping on the helmet or pants? Theres no black dropshadow on the numbers?

no it is navy blue throughout the entire uniform set. and no i am not a fan of just adding in colors, but the fins do it ever so slightly. i mean when you think of their uniforms you still think aqua and orange...update needed but the current set is not the worst in the league its probably one of the best updates in the '90's

Miami.png

no it is navy blue throughout the entire uniform set. and no i am not a fan of just adding in colors, but the fins do it ever so slightly. i mean when you think of their uniforms you still think aqua and orange...update needed but the current set is not the worst in the league its probably one of the best updates in the '90's

Is that navy? Nevermind. What do you know, that is navy. I apologize. I need to get my eyes checked. I'll stick to my opinion, though, that I don't like the drop shadow.

Is that navy? Nevermind. What do you know, that is navy. I apologize. I need to get my eyes checked. I'll stick to my opinion, though, that I don't like the drop shadow.

I don't think anyone on this board does. And iirc I thought the navy blue was supposed to be dropped from the entire color scheme.....

Archived