2009 MLB Season Thread

Gary

Okay, so I've had a little time to digest this Peavy deal, and I think I'm my take on it is cautious pessimism, if that's possible. Here's why:

1. We gave up a pretty good haul. Clayton Richard and Aaron Poreda, in particular, have the chance to be very good pitchers for many years.

2. By many accounts, the Padres simply needed to dump his salary. Which makes me think he could've been had for a lesser package (basically the same one, minus Richard or Poreda).

3. Peavy's obviously injured, not coming back until September, and possibly ineffective this whole season.

4. We'll be missing probably three or four more starts minimum from Peavy, meaning we're filling those with guys like DJ Carrasco (who pitched adequately last night, I guess), Freddy Garcia (ugh), Bartolo Colon (ugh) and maybe a few other minor leaguers. Those starts would've been Clayton Richard's, whose been lights out lately.

5. He's coming off a down half of a year...not that big of a deal to me with a guy like Peavy, but he's also coming to the AL. If the adage about being able to drop a guy's ERA half a run or more when he moves from the AL to the NL, is the reverse true as well?

6. The Cell is not a pitcher's park by any means. Petco is.

With that said, when you get the chance to acquire a guy like Jake Peavy, you kinda have to do it, right?

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have great points El_Duderino. I think you also hit the nail on the head when you said that if team has the opportunity to get a guy like Peavy, they should. They probably gave up a little too much for a guy they might not even use this year. But he will be there all of next year and the ChiSox are gonna love that.

They didn't give up much at all. Russell isn't a major league pitcher, Poreda might not be, and Richard barely is. That said, they didn't really get much either: a pitcher with some injuries and hard miles on him switching to a bandbox in the hitter's league, on a team that, as presently constructed, couldn't put a glove on the ball if it was magnetized. This could go wrong.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yeah. $15 million in '10, $16 in '11, $17 in '12, club option at $22 in '13 but they'll never take that.

This runs against Reinsdorf's stated policy of never giving big long-term deals to pitchers. They must've approved this one while he was busy with the Coyotes.

Andrew McCutchen. Damn, dog! 3HR and a bunt single. Hell of a night for the rook (although he was playing a AAA team).

Matt Holliday has been straight BALLIN since joining our Cardinals, batting .606 (20/35) with 10 RBI in 9 games! I guess playing at Coors Field exaggerated his skills, huh? Go Cards!

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Andrew McCutchen. Damn, dog! 3HR and a bunt single. Hell of a night for the rook (although he was playing a AAA team).

Matt Holliday has been straight BALLIN since joining our Cardinals, batting .606 (20/35) with 10 RBI in 9 games! I guess playing at Coors Field exaggerated his skills, huh? Go Cards!

Yeah, he's hot right now, but I don't think he could keep up that pace over the course of a whole season.

Yeah, he's hot right now, but I don't think he could keep up that pace over the course of a whole season.

You forget, there's just something "magical" about playing in St. Louis. If there could ever be a .600 hitter, it'd probably be a Cardinal.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

You forget, there's just something "magical" about playing in St. Louis. If there could ever be a .600 hitter, it'd probably be a Cardinal.

True, there is magic in "Best Baseball Town in America™" but if neither The Man nor El Hombre could do it, I doubt Holliday could.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I knew Holliday still had a lot of great baseball left in him. When he wasn't producing the Colorado-type numbers in Oakland, people pointed at him playing with the Rox for those years. But he simply plays better in the National League. St. Louis was very smart to pick him up.

...and where else could an 83 win team take the whole World Series? They're America's baseball team.

PvO6ZWJ.png

...and where else could an 83 win team take the whole World Series? They're America's baseball team.

Dr. James Andrews said if Chris Carpenter pitched anywhere else, they would have had to amputate his arm.

I knew Holliday still had a lot of great baseball left in him. When he wasn't producing the Colorado-type numbers in Oakland, people pointed at him playing with the Rox for those years. But he simply plays better in the National League. St. Louis was very smart to pick him up.

With Holliday, I think a lot of it had to do with playing to empty seats on a bad team in a garbage stadium. It wasn't like he was dying to play for The A's. Now he's back to playing on a competitive team where he's actually allowed to swing the bat and he's playing in front of actual people again. If it were me, I know I'd be a little more fired up to go to the ballpark in St. Louis than I would be in Oakland.

BB52Big.jpg

He's gone next season.

Pittsburgh Arsenal - Elite Football League (NFL) - 2006  |  New Orleans JazzCats - Major League Hockey (AHL) - 2023

With Holliday, I think a lot of it had to do with playing to empty seats on a bad team in a garbage stadium. It wasn't like he was dying to play for The A's. Now he's back to playing on a competitive team where he's actually allowed to swing the bat and he's playing in front of actual people again. If it were me, I know I'd be a little more fired up to go to the ballpark in St. Louis than I would be in Oakland.

I heard Matt Holliday draws his power from all the fans wearing red. Psychologists have proven that red has a stimulating effect, and for so many people to wear it causes synergy you just don't get in, say, New York. The St. Louis Cardinals: fueled by Color Power. Also steroids if you're Ryan Franklin, but otherwise Color Power.

Archived