2009 MLB Season Thread

Gary

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cubs drop the next two games 3-2 and 2-1.

That would arguably be more entertaining than today's batting practice.

Don't know if you were watching the broadcast this afternoon, but Jeremy Piven was in town to sing the Stretch, plug his movie, and re-plug his hair. Bottom of the 7th, swear to Christ, well, Jeremy's got a new movie in theaters today, hey, let's have a look at a clip! And they roll a clip, full-screen, right in the middle of live game action.

Yes, I realize the game was 106-2. But if it was 0-0 with one pitcher sitting on a no-hitter, you know damn well that clip's getting rolled regardless. I'm no Cubs fan, but if I'm watching baseball, I want to watch baseball. I don't want to watch some third-rate knock-off of the Jimmy Fallon show.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I was just listening to Buster Olney on ESPN Radio a few minutes ago and he and the host were saying the Washington Nationals have signed #1 overall pick Stephen Strasburg. I can't find any stories on this. The closest thing I see is a Washington Post report that there had been an offer.

If they indeed have signed Strasburg, I could see him making his debut before this season ends. I'm going to have to get my ass down to DC to see that!

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I was just listening to Buster Olney on ESPN Radio a few minutes ago and he and the host were saying the Washington Nationals have signed #1 overall pick Stephen Strasburg. I can't find any stories on this. The closest thing I see is a Washington Post report that there had been an offer.

If they indeed have signed Strasburg, I could see him making his debut before this season ends. I'm going to have to get my ass down to DC to see that!

Jigga on the phone ordering tickets: "What time does the game start?"

Nationals: "What time can you be here?"

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

Brad Lidge needs to go. Unfortunately, possible replacement Brett Myers' rehab delayed due to self-inflicted eye injury.

Not sure why they just don't put him in anyway - he'd only need one eye to be better than Lidge, who can't throw to the plate or first base.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Brad Lidge needs to go. Unfortunately, possible replacement Brett Myers' rehab delayed due to self-inflicted eye injury.

Not sure why they just don't put him in anyway - he'd only need one eye to be better than Lidge, who can't throw to the plate or first base.

What's that, seven blown saves on the year?

LvZYtbZ.png

Okay, just heard on ESPN Radio SportsCenter that Stan Kasten is saying it's unlikely that the (G)Nats will sign Strasburg. I know what I heard before, but based on the track record, I'm more more inclined to believe this "report" than the one that I posted earlier. Penny pinching miserly ass bastards. Y'all gave Adam Dunn $20MM, give Strasburg his money and go from there. Your team sucks, apparently your logo sucks so much it couldn't make the best logo poll, and your organization is the laughingstock of the league (not counting the Pirates).

Better change your ways or the the third time won't be the charm either.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Lidge needs to do whats best for the team and go to the minors until he figures out whatever it is thats wrong with his pitching... and now fielding.

"The 0-2 pitch... SWING AND A MISS! STRUCK HIM OUT! THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE 2008 WORLD CHAMPIONS OF BASEBALL!"

J M yoU wish you had a Duke Dog!

Okay, just heard on ESPN Radio SportsCenter that Stan Kasten is saying it's unlikely that the (G)Nats will sign Strasburg. I know what I heard before, but based on the track record, I'm more more inclined to believe this "report" than the one that I posted earlier. Penny pinching miserly ass bastards. Y'all gave Adam Dunn $20MM, give Strasburg his money and go from there. Your team sucks, apparently your logo sucks so much it couldn't make the best logo poll, and your organization is the laughingstock of the league (not counting the Pirates).

Steven Strausburg does not deserve whatever money he is asking for. The kid has done nothing. Don't give me this crap that he throws whatever he supposedly threw at SDSU, and that he threw a no-hitter vs. some crappy college program. No one who knows anything about baseball give a flying leap about that because we've seen these flashes in the pan every year. You want to see what Strausburg might really be, look no further than that pretty crappy pitcher for the Kansas City Royals who thought he was so friggin' good that he refused to sign with the Dodgers and it's a good thing too, because he would've been the just another in a long line of college pitchers that is over-rated and over-hyped and turns out having poor mechanics/attitude and a really bad arm from over use. I expect Strausburg to be like all these other college pitchers who are just glorified .500 pitchers and nothing more. If Washington wants to spend its money wisely, draft high school pitchers, sign them and then develop them that way, don't waste 20 million on one guy who will break down and spend more time on the DL than on the field. For $20 go out and get 40 or more high school kids and develop them and have a plethora of pitching in your system. Out of 40 kids signed, you should get 20 major league pitchers. The stupidity of MLB teams paying millions of dollars for some kid who hasn't done anything and isn't guaranteed to do anything is beyond me. Take that money and spend it on so-called lesser talent and develop them into the major league talent that is there. Not all MLB players are 1st round pics, heck, I think 1st round picks are a minority. Set a limit of what you'll pay a 1st round pick and don't budge from it. If the kids is so good and so egotistical that he will sit for a year, then let him. Put your money on players who are grateful to play and will sign for lesser money. There's so much talent out there that will play for less and just as talented as these #1 picks, it just takes some intelligent scouts to find that talent. Oh and if anyone wants to say that Strausburg deserves Matsuzaka money, please. The Red Sox are cursing themselves for signing Matsuzaka. You want to improve the Nats, fine, just don't waste your time with a pitcher that will cost you $20 million and break down.

Steven Strausburg does not deserve whatever money he is asking for. The kid has done nothing. Don't give me this crap that he throws whatever he supposedly threw at SDSU, and that he threw a no-hitter vs. some crappy college program. No one who knows anything about baseball give a flying leap about that because we've seen these flashes in the pan every year. You want to see what Strausburg might really be, look no further than that pretty crappy pitcher for the Kansas City Royals who thought he was so friggin' good that he refused to sign with the Dodgers and it's a good thing too, because he would've been the just another in a long line of college pitchers that is over-rated and over-hyped and turns out having poor mechanics/attitude and a really bad arm from over use. I expect Strausburg to be like all these other college pitchers who are just glorified .500 pitchers and nothing more. If Washington wants to spend its money wisely, draft high school pitchers, sign them and then develop them that way, don't waste 20 million on one guy who will break down and spend more time on the DL than on the field. For $20 go out and get 40 or more high school kids and develop them and have a plethora of pitching in your system. Out of 40 kids signed, you should get 20 major league pitchers. The stupidity of MLB teams paying millions of dollars for some kid who hasn't done anything and isn't guaranteed to do anything is beyond me. Take that money and spend it on so-called lesser talent and develop them into the major league talent that is there. Not all MLB players are 1st round pics, heck, I think 1st round picks are a minority. Set a limit of what you'll pay a 1st round pick and don't budge from it. If the kids is so good and so egotistical that he will sit for a year, then let him. Put your money on players who are grateful to play and will sign for lesser money. There's so much talent out there that will play for less and just as talented as these #1 picks, it just takes some intelligent scouts to find that talent. Oh and if anyone wants to say that Strausburg deserves Matsuzaka money, please. The Red Sox are cursing themselves for signing Matsuzaka. You want to improve the Nats, fine, just don't waste your time with a pitcher that will cost you $20 million and break down.

Like with most of your posts, I only read the first line, because you don't seem to know how to form your thoughts in a way that works well on an internet message board.

I'll argue that top draft picks, regardless of the sport, do deserve money, because they're selling tickets, jerseys, "good will", "hope", etc. This isn't little league - it's PROFESSIONAL sports. It's about the money. The numbers and stats simply don't matter - only the amount of revenue a player can generate for the club. For some players, that does happen to be a direct correlation to their stats. For others, there are intangibles involved that render stats (or lack thereof) meaningless.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Like with most of your posts, I only read the first line, because you don't seem to know how to form your thoughts in a way that works well on an internet message board.

Oddball just likes to be contrary. If you say a three run homer is a good thing in a baseball game he'll give you 300 words on why it the worst thing that can happen. His posts are stream of consciousness. Think of them like art. :D

BB52Big.jpg

A 3 run home run in baseball is bad because, it's not 4 runs! :P And actually, most times it's actually a rally killer. Most double digit rallies don't have more than a two run home run. I did that in less than 300 words! So there infrared!

I appreciate your calling my posts like art. Yes, it may be like modern art, and some may not understand it, and some post just may not make any sense at all, but I see that you may be starting to see or understand things that I write! I don't write to be contrary, I honestly wouldn't know how to do that. I just write what I feel, and I've never asked or demanded that people agree with me or see my point of view. I know I think differently than many, and I'm fine with that. I'd rather be different than some sheep who just follows along with the rest of the sheep and waits to be herded along, not knowing what's coming next.

I just have never figured out the reason sports franchises pay rookies based on potential. How many of us get paid on potential? I don't. I get paid for production as a graphic designer. If business around the world were run like sports franchises, this world would be in a heap of trouble! There would be no billionaires or millionaires. There would be no business at all. I just have no clue how sports franchises are run and make money. You look at some of the worst franchises and they can get 2-5 times the amount that they were bought for from the next seller and it's a complete mess of a franchise. I think I figured it out. Sports franchises are bought for ridiculous amounts of money based on potential, and so they keep that mentality for signing draft picks. I'm waiting for someone to publicly come out and lash out in the press about their attempts at buying a franchise and say, "This owner is a fool. They bought the team for X amount and are trying to sell it for 10 times that and it's been run like crap. Honestly, I suggest that all people who are wanting to buy this team, ask for what the owner originally paid for it as the selling price because it's a crappy franchise."

I just have never figured out the reason sports franchises pay rookies based on potential. How many of us get paid on potential? I don't. I get paid for production as a graphic designer.

To repeat my post...

It seems like potential, but it's really not. Usually teams are drafting at the top because they suck and nobody is interested in them. They draft the top guy out of college, and all of a sudden, they're merchandise sales go up, his jersey sales start, ticket orders may go up, TV viewership goes up, which leads to an increase in rights fees, etc.

The stats and potential stats are nearly irrelevant, because teams don't make money directly from stats (though of course of those stats lead to wins, money will usually follow.) Top draft picks make their teams a ton of money before they take any snaps, so they deserve to get paid a lot before they take any. Their job is to earn their team money - not necessarily to throw TD passes.

Of course baseball is a little different, since there's usually a long minor-league process for picks. This Strassberg (sp?) guy is the obvious exception.

I just have no clue how sports franchises are run and make money. You look at some of the worst franchises and they can get 2-5 times the amount that they were bought for from the next seller and it's a complete mess of a franchise.

It's all about TV, radio, and merchandise. Some teams actually start their own method of distribution (YES, etc.) which guarantees big profits regardless of team success. Others get huge rights fees based on the size of their markets. Some acquire stadiums which provide more revenue sources. Others (Pittsburgh, KC, etc.) have to rely mostly on ticket sales, which isn't much. They don't have the local revenue streams that the bigger market teams have, and also aren't in markets where it's feasible to start their own network.

A 3 run home run in baseball is bad because, it's not 4 runs! :P And actually, most times it's actually a rally killer. Most double digit rallies don't have more than a two run home run. I did that in less than 300 words! So there infrared!

And you did it well my friend. :D

BB52Big.jpg

Archived