2009 MLB Season Thread

Gary

strasburg-1.jpg

:welcome: to DC Strasburg :woot:

I hate to rain on the parade but I've heard that unless Strasburg straightens out his poor pitching mechanics he won't last 4 years in pro ball. (now I am running to hide from Jigga.)

Wait, there's someone else out there like myself that hasn't fallen for the Strausburg hype and expects him to become the next Mark Prior and blow out his arm? And of all people it's infrared? :lol: I'll state what someone said either on MLB Network or ESPN, that most of the other first round picks will be better than Strausburg and the only reason Strausburg got the money he got was that he was pick #1.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
strasburg-1.jpg

I hate to rain on the parade but I've heard that unless Strasburg straightens out his poor pitching mechanics he won't last 4 years in pro ball. (now I am running to hide from Jigga.)

Wait, there's someone else out there like myself that hasn't fallen for the Strausburg hype and expects him to become the next Mark Prior and blow out his arm? And of all people it's infrared? :lol: I'll state what someone said either on MLB Network or ESPN, that most of the other first round picks will be better than Strausburg and the only reason Strausburg got the money he got was that he was pick #1.

I'm pretty sure you aren't the only one. Hell, I've heard PLENTY of people compare him to Mark Prior, and not "Wonderboy" Mark Prior but "Injured every other week" Mark Prior.

strasburg-1.jpg

You don't just expect it or predict it or whatever, it's like you're openly HOPING that the kids arm snaps and falls off in a Dave Dravecky type of situation. You really, really want this to happen.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

strasburg-1.jpg

You don't just expect it or predict it or whatever, it's like you're openly HOPING that the kids arm snaps and falls off in a Dave Dravecky type of situation. You really, really want this to happen.

I'd say give the kid a chance to go through the different trainings and classes to prove his worth.

Big series for the rays this weekend. They play Texas at the Trop, and the Yanks, play the BoSox. So if the Rays win, they gain ground on 2 teams.

But this kinda grinded my gears...

ESPN:

The Yankees put up 20 on the Red Sox. The question is, are they too good for their division rival?

Umm, doesn't Boston have a 8-5 season series lead? I'm by no means a Sox fan, but come on... really?

Oh and going tomorrow to the Rays v Rangers game. Big and Rich afterwards.

[

Why would it surprise you that it's me? It's not like I'm going against the grain or anything. The kid has bad pitching mechanics. Unless he straightens it out, his arm isn't going to last. It's happened a million times before in baseball. I hope he goes on to have a stellar career but from what I've seen and heard it looks like he has some work to do if he wants that stellar career to also be a long career.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

I honestly haven't hung around long enough to look at his pitching mechanics, only because every time you see video on him all you hear out of the analyst is, how he's going to help the Nationals, and how great he could be, and that he has a chance to be an ace. I just say to that, blah, blah, blah. Don't give me that crap. Every kid who picks up a baseball at age 6 has that potential. Again, I go back to his competition. Big friggin' deal he had a no hitter. It's an accomplishment, yes, but how many of those batters know how to work a count and force a pitcher to work deep into a count wearing his arm out? Oh yeah, if what infrared says is true, then a strike out pitcher which is what Strausburg is, will blow out his arm because not only does he have bad pitching mechanics, but throwing a ton of pitches to strike batters out is just wear and tear on the arm and the shoulder. So if it's true that Strausburg does have bad mechanics, it's not if but when does he blow out the arm for the first time?

In a New York Times story on the Yanks-Sox series, Sox closer Johnathon Papelbon said this about how the Sox have played against the Yanks:

"We're 8-4 against them this season," the Red Sox closer said about the Bombers, who begin a three-game set at Fenway Park tonight. "We beat them half the time."

Full Story

6fQjS3M.png

In a New York Times story on the Yanks-Sox series, Sox closer Johnathon Papelbon said this about how the Sox have played against the Yanks:
"We're 8-4 against them this season," the Red Sox closer said about the Bombers, who begin a three-game set at Fenway Park tonight. "We beat them half the time."

Full Story

If it weren't for him being a part of the Red Sox, Yogi Berra would be proud.

I don't know what it is, but I just have the feeling Strasburg's going down as one of the biggest flops in MLB history.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

The Yankees are killing me.

I'm sure that being in first place, having the best record in baseball, and suffering a blowout defeat to the now-in-the-rearview Red Sox not even 24 hours after you put up 20 on em is just sooooooooooooooooooo bad.

:P

I'm sure that being in first place, having the best record in baseball, and suffering a blowout defeat to the now-in-the-rearview Red Sox not even 24 hours after you put up 20 on em is just sooooooooooooooooooo bad.

Flame, who the hell said the thing in your sig? are you imitating me from about 20 months ago? :P

I WAN;T TO KNOW. PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flame, who the hell said the thing in your sig? are you imitating me from about 20 months ago? :P

I WAN;T TO KNOW. PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some guy on the mothership.

I just found it hilarious that he said all of that to say that the Pats have the best logo in sports, which was the icing on a cake of ludicrousness. :P

I don't know what it is, but I just have the feeling Strasburg's going down as one of the biggest flops in MLB history.

I have similar feelings, especially when I've seen lists of other "can't miss" pitchers of the past. All were either busts or simply average during their careers. I think the problem is the many of these guys have already peaked or are very close to peaking. They appear way ahead of their peers during scouting, but there not going to improve as much as some of the others. So Strausburg may be able to start in the back end of an MLB rotation right now, which is certainly impressive and would make him the most appealing guy in the draft. However that may be his peak and the best he'll ever be. While a guy like Tyler Matzek will require 2-3 years minimum in the minors, plus 1-2 in the majors to get adjusted, but he will improve and peak at a higher level.

That's just a theory I came up with while reading an SI article. It could explain Ben McDonald and Andy Ashby, two can't misses that didn't live up to the hype but had respectable careers. But then again you have Mark Prior you was able to live up to the hype, but was ruined by poor mechanics that resulted in injury.

Archived