2009 MLB Season Thread

Gary

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Light up the halo!

Hell yes. One win away from sending the Red Sox to the golf course or whatever it is they and their fans do when they aren't annoying the :censored: out of me. :D

Eating chowder and struggling to pronounce the letter "R"?

VmWIn6B.png

I hate chowder, and I can say my Rs. But really, besides this drought-like lack of offense, the thing that pisses me off the most is the god damn starting times. 9:37, really? I have to get up at 6 every day and as much as I try, I can't stay up. I just can't. The last two nights, I have fallen asleep on the couch in the 7th or 8th inning. I want to watch, but baseball isn't exactly the most constantly adrenaline-inducing sport and you get tired after holding your eyelids open after a while. This happened in 07, too. Thank goodness Game 3 is a day game (Why noon though? That is so counter-intuitive), but if it went that far, Game 4 in Boston (on a school night) would start at 8:37. Come on, Bud. I know I will get no sympathy here for anything sports-related but this truly boils my blood. It's a crime.

Now out playoff hopes lie in the hands of Clay Buchholz. I love the guy, but he's not exactly on a roll right now. Hopefully some home cooking can turn things around.

I have determined after today that I am included in the group that wants instant replay in baseball for everything but balls and strikes. The call today on the Twins pushed me to that group. I was already leaning, but that just ignited me. The Twins lost earlier this year in Oakland on a blown call also (I'm not saying they wouldn't have lost either of these two games anyways, but still). I just don't think a team should have to lose a baseball game because a human being saw something different than the cameras. I mean these guys go out and play as hard as they can and get jipped out of a win because of a bad call? That isn't right. I would really be glad if they passed an instant replay rule.

That will never happen. If they review every close play in baseball, games would last five hours. At most, instant replay would be allowed on plays where a run is scored.

The Twins lost this game because they couldn't get 3 outs in the ninth inning before giving up two runs....not to mention not being able to score a run after having the bases loaded and none out in the top of the 11th.

Yeah, in fact they left 17 on base.

If they scored 2 of the 17 they left on base, who knows what would have happened.

I hate chowder, and I can say my Rs. But really, besides this drought-like lack of offense, the thing that pisses me off the most is the god damn starting times. 9:37, really? I have to get up at 6 every day and as much as I try, I can't stay up. I just can't. The last two nights, I have fallen asleep on the couch in the 7th or 8th inning. I want to watch, but baseball isn't exactly the most constantly adrenaline-inducing sport and you get tired after holding your eyelids open after a while. This happened in 07, too. Thank goodness Game 3 is a day game (Why noon though? That is so counter-intuitive), but if it went that far, Game 4 in Boston (on a school night) would start at 8:37. Come on, Bud. I know I will get no sympathy here for anything sports-related but this truly boils my blood. It's a crime.

Now out playoff hopes lie in the hands of Clay Buchholz. I love the guy, but he's not exactly on a roll right now. Hopefully some home cooking can turn things around.

They started at 9:37 because the game was being played in LA and because there was an east coast game to televise before it. Why should fans in the west have to see their teams play at 3:30 just to accommodate you? Not to mention the fact that on Sunday they are playing an east coast game plenty early at noon and you don't like that either. Despite all outward appearances, baseball does not revolve around keeping chowd nation happy. My advice? Take a nap and deal with it.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

Last night was Friday night....you could stay awake for games not on a school night.

Besides...games on the west coast normally start at 10pm ET. Wouldn't a 9:37pm start actually be advantageous for east coast viewers?

Tonight's game in Denver was postponed due to snow/cold. Game 3 is tomorrow night and game 4 will be during the day on Monday because of potential travel back to Philly for game 5 Tuesday...

They started at 9:37 because the game was being played in LA and because there was an east coast game to televise before it. Why should fans in the west have to see their teams play at 3:30 just to accommodate you? Not to mention the fact that on Sunday they are playing an east coast game plenty early at noon and you don't like that either. Despite all outward appearances, baseball does not revolve around keeping chowd nation happy. My advice? Take a nap and deal with it.

I never said I was unhappy with noon, but that means that the LA viewers have to watch at 9 in the morning. That's just stupid, and just as bad as playing at 9:30 at night here (plus the complete opposite end of the spectrum - it's in Boston, but they could start at one or two-thirty or something to make it easier on west coasters). I'm not saying that they should start at 7, but 8:30 or even 9 would be so much better. Jesus, I am not trying to say that the world should revolve around "chowd" nation, but they really suck at compromising. If television is the problem, they didn't have to put the games in the last two slots, and even then, why couldn't the Yankee game be at 5:00 or 5:30 and the other game at 8:30? You know more about that than I do, but it seems like they had all day to work with.

Thanks for reminding me that last night wasn't a school night, Hedley. Like I said, I tried but at the end of the week I just couldn't. That's partially my problem, definitely, but if just one of the games started a little earlier I would be satisfied. Shaving 23 minutes off for a playoff game is advantageous? Not very much.

I'm not trying to get in arguments here or act selfish, but I am disappointed. The NBA Finals games in 08 started at 9 ET, and those games don't go as long. It's just annoying that they go on until 1 AM pretty much and I'm either dead tired or have to get up early, or both. I just think they could compromise a little bit more and everyone would be happier.

So starting at 9:00 pm eastern is so much better than 9:37 pm eastern? Huh? Like someone said, most west coast games start at 10:05 pm eastern, so stop your whining. Maybe they are doing all the kids a favor and most of them will be in bed to watch the final nail in the Red Sox coffin this year.

On another subject, I had to chuckle when I read I think on Fox Sports where it talked about A-Rod and his home run and how it could be the start of his legacy or something like that. I laughed. Start of a legacy? Okay, he hits ONE home run and there's some legacy? When the Yankees are beat by the Angels in the ALCS or heck, if they lose somehow to the Twins, his legacy will be? Yeah, that's right, he doesn't, never has, and never will have a legacy in the playoffs or as a Yankee. He is not, never has been, never will be a Yankee. He's just a player wearing the pinstripes. He's no different than Kevin Brown, and Jeff Weaver, just guys who wore the uniform.

Pedro Martinez scratched from his game 3 start, due to the postponement and the thought that the cold may not be good for his stiff neck. JA Happ is now IN as the game 3 starter. Cliff Lee for game 4, and likely Cole Hamels for game 5. All leftys. Joe Blanton must be saying WTF right about now.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

So starting at 9:00 pm eastern is so much better than 9:37 pm eastern? Huh? Like someone said, most west coast games start at 10:05 pm eastern, so stop your whining. Maybe they are doing all the kids a favor and most of them will be in bed to watch the final nail in the Red Sox coffin this year.

On another subject, I had to chuckle when I read I think on Fox Sports where it talked about A-Rod and his home run and how it could be the start of his legacy or something like that. I laughed. Start of a legacy? Okay, he hits ONE home run and there's some legacy? When the Yankees are beat by the Angels in the ALCS or heck, if they lose somehow to the Twins, his legacy will be? Yeah, that's right, he doesn't, never has, and never will have a legacy in the playoffs or as a Yankee. He is not, never has been, never will be a Yankee. He's just a player wearing the pinstripes. He's no different than Kevin Brown, and Jeff Weaver, just guys who wore the uniform.

I could not agree more on both counts. A-Rod is 1 for forever in the clutch in the postseason. He finally does something in the clutch and now all of a sudden he's "starting a legacy?" All that HR did yesterday was remind everyone just how sad his "clutch" legacy really is. He's every bit as bad in the regular season but it's not talked about as much. I've always said that if you're up 5-1 A-Rod will put you up 7-1. If you're down 10-2 A-Rod will make it 10-3. If you're tied or down a run and A-Rod comes to the plate you're :censored:-ed. He may be the best fantasy baseball player ever but none of that helps a "real" team.

And Ginger, I guess the 9am start out west is making up for the 9:37 start in the east. When you have both coasts involved in a playoff match-up there's just no easy way to do it.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

I have determined after today that I am included in the group that wants instant replay in baseball for everything but balls and strikes. The call today on the Twins pushed me to that group. I was already leaning, but that just ignited me. The Twins lost earlier this year in Oakland on a blown call also (I'm not saying they wouldn't have lost either of these two games anyways, but still). I just don't think a team should have to lose a baseball game because a human being saw something different than the cameras. I mean these guys go out and play as hard as they can and get jipped out of a win because of a bad call? That isn't right. I would really be glad if they passed an instant replay rule.

That will never happen. If they review every close play in baseball, games would last five hours. At most, instant replay would be allowed on plays where a run is scored.

The Twins lost this game because they couldn't get 3 outs in the ninth inning before giving up two runs....not to mention not being able to score a run after having the bases loaded and none out in the top of the 11th.

Yeah, in fact they left 17 on base.

If they scored 2 of the 17 they left on base, who knows what would have happened.

I'm not saying the Twins would have won, they probably wouldn't have. I had no expectations for the Twins this postseason. But in my mind, the coach would have one, maybe two challenges similar to football. If he wanted to waste it on a trivial call at first base, then so be it, but I still think the coaches should have the oppurtunity to challenge a play.

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

Archived