2009 MLB Season Thread

Gary

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm hearing the Twins want Freddy Sanchez. That would be nice. I'm just afraid to know what we would have to give up in return.

The Rockies, Mariners, and Giants are looking to land him too. That means Pittsburgh is kind of in the driver's seat and they will get some good value in return.

As we all know, rumors change quickly. It is now being reported that the Matt Holliday for Yunel Escobar trade rumor has been shot down. It seems that the Cardinals are interested in Escobar, while Holliday may be available to pretty much everyone at this point.

Why not? We're already paying for Adam Kennedy, Khalil Greene, Troy Glaus & Mark DeRosa who have combined for 50 appearances for the team this season. Might as well add some more payroll towards the infielder heap! :D

As we all know, rumors change quickly. It is now being reported that the Matt Holliday for Yunel Escobar trade rumor has been shot down. It seems that the Cardinals are interested in Escobar, while Holliday may be available to pretty much everyone at this point.

Why not? We're already paying for Adam Kennedy, Khalil Greene, Troy Glaus & Mark DeRosa who have combined for 50 appearances for the team this season. Might as well add some more payroll towards the infielder heap! :D

Are the Cards shopping Greene? I can't remember if I heard that or not, but if that's the case, it could be why they are taking a hard look at Escobar. He would provide some stability at the position. My question for the Braves is, why would they give up the bat of Escobar when they need offense?

Are the Cards shopping Green? I can't remember if I heard that or not, but if that's the case, it could be why they are taking a hard look at Escobar. He would provide some stability at the position. My question for the Braves is, why would they give up the bat of Escobar when they need offense?

I'm sure they are. The problem is that at this point they could leave Greene by the side of the road with a sign that says "Take me" and no one would bite.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Are the Cards shopping Green? I can't remember if I heard that or not, but if that's the case, it could be why they are taking a hard look at Escobar. He would provide some stability at the position. My question for the Braves is, why would they give up the bat of Escobar when they need offense?

I'm sure they are. The problem is that at this point they could leave Greene by the side of the road with a sign that says "Take me" and no one would bite.

If that's the case, then let's say they do trade for Escobar. The Cards will most likely say "Okay, we will give you these guys for your shortstop, but you have to take Greene too".

It's been done before where teams will kind of tag their unwanted players on a deal to get rid of them. The Cards must have a outfielder that the Braves are interested in, otherwise, I'm not sure it would be a smart move on their part.

The rumored trade to Oakland has been all but shot down, but with the Cardinals showing interest in Escobar, it makes me wonder what they would be willing to give up in return.

I'm hearing the Twins want Freddy Sanchez. That would be nice. I'm just afraid to know what we would have to give up in return.

The Rockies, Mariners, and Giants are looking to land him too. That means Pittsburgh is kind of in the driver's seat and they will get some good value in return.

But in reality, they won't get great value in return. Huntington (GM) will go after three or four guys in one of those team's farm systems. While the deals he's made thus far this season will take time to pan out, Hanrahan's ERA still sits at 7.71 as a 1.0 to 1.2 IP/outing reliever. Lastings Milledge is still in AAA at Indy. Meanwhile Nyjer Morgan is making Sports Center's Top 10 from last weekend. (I realize Milledge is younger and Morgan is at the height of his career and will only go downhill, blah blah, but he's performing now. Not to mention Milledge is a headcase.) I'm not looking for the Bucs to trade for star-quality talent. I'd really like to see what the Bucs could have done with the people that were in the organization. Cut out dead weight like Brandon Moss and Brian Bixler and bring up guys like Garret Jones, Virgil Vasquez and Andrew McCutchen from the farm and see where we could go with a tight-knit group of guys who enjoy playing the game with each other. For instance: Nyjer Morgan was one of the better clubhouse presences on the team. Something like that isn't replaceable.

I mean, the team had a winning record in the later part of May for the first time in a long time this season, before all these trades put them in the basement.

Oh to love a team that sucks and has sucked for so long... ^_^

</angry pirates fan rant>

Beat it by 48 games too :D

Moyer is still undefeated in Miami, and he, Madson and Romero had the first combined 1-hit shutout for the Phils since 1986. The Phils are now 7 up in the loss column....

A great post from a Sox board regarding him and his contract:

Why don't we just cut the middle man out and throw the money directly into the toilet?

At least he didn't whine about his lack of playing time and understood he didn't play well. Unfortunately, that's one of just three positive things he did during his time here. (the others: hit .500 with a near-1.000 OPS in the '07 Series; Of course, he tried his best to prevent that from happening by dropping a crucial pop-up in the ALCS, a sight which has become unsurprising while Julio is on the field; and grounding into a game-winning error capping a miraculous comeback which has been played 800,000 times on NESN for no particular reason)

Anyway: FREEDOM!

Edit: Please, please, please go to the Mets.

You stay classy, Boston.

Have you ever seen this man play the shortstop position? Shall we express our deepest gratitude for all the runs he saved with his super-skills and produced with his wonder-bat? $20 million dollars, directly into the compost bin, and more coming when his salary is eaten. Good freakin' riddance. ^_^

You obviously need to learn the ways of the St. Louis Cardinal fans...the best fans in baseball.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

You obviously need to learn the ways of the St. Louis Cardinal fans...the best fans in baseball.

:censored: you Jigga, I already do. For we are all.... oh, forget it. :P

So you're saying I am not exhibiting such behavior? Shame on me. Julio, I appreciate you. You mean a lot to me. My deepest thanks for your sincere efforts and talents during your stay in Boston and best of luck in future endeavors. Bravo, Bravo!

;)

I'll never understand the Sox mentality with shortstops, mainly dating back to Orlando Cabrera. Back in '04, OC wanted a long-term deal to stay in Boston. However, management had this kid named Hanley Ramirez in AA and they didn't want to commit long-term to a shortstop in case Ramirez was ready to be called up. Few days later, they go out and sign Edgar Renteria to a four year deal.

It's been downhill since then, sans (debatable issue) 2006.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Archived