Jets Name New Head Coach

Cujo

Baltimore Ravens' defensive coordinator Rex Ryan has been offered, and will accept, the position of head coach of the New York Jets.

I, for one, am not happy with this hire at all -- expecially knowing the Jets didn't even interview or go after Super Bowl winning coaches Mike Shanahan or John Gruden. You can say they are all overrated, but bottom line, they are proven winners and have actualy NFL head coaching experience, something they don't get with Ryan. Since Parcells left before the 2000 season, the Jets have hired first-time coaches and none of them have amounted to much. It's too bad the Jets have yet to learn from the past, as Rex Ryan will likely end up as another name to put alongside the likes of Al Groh, Herm Edwards, and Eric Mangini.

Dammit. :mad:

6uXNWAo.png

They wanted Rex Ryan because mainly he run a 3-4 defense which what the Jets run and they do not want to change. I like the hire and im not at all worried that he has no head coachin experience at this level. Look how Dolphins' Tony Sparano, Ravens' John Harbaugh, and Falcons' Mike Smith all coaches with no prior experences did last year, taking teams that no one expected to make the playoffs to that point.

:lol: John Gruden? You really want John Gruden? Really?!!!? WOW!!! You obviously know nothing of John Gruden. You'd be better off with Mangini then Gruden. Gruden's a fool who would bring in Ken O'Brien, Baba Parelli, Richard Todd, and Joe Namath. If you want to really know what John Gruden was about, go read the post on John Gruden and not the first two pages or people who had no knowledge of Gruden and his lack of coaching intelligence. Defense wins championships and hiring John Gruden will only get you a first round exit!

:lol: John Gruden? You really want John Gruden? Really?!!!? WOW!!! You obviously know nothing of John Gruden. You'd be better off with Mangini then Gruden. Gruden's a fool who would bring in Ken O'Brien, Baba Parelli, Richard Todd, and Joe Namath. If you want to really know what John Gruden was about, go read the post on John Gruden and not the first two pages or people who had no knowledge of Gruden and his lack of coaching intelligence. Defense wins championships and hiring John Gruden will only get you a first round exit!

You owe me a new workstation. I just spit my apple juice all over my keyboard and monitor.

(you forgot this point, though: he'd bring all them in, and STILL make a push to keep Brat.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Wow, Mort was actually right on the money. He said on I think Thursday to pencil in Rex Ryan as the new HC of the Jets. Of course I was skeptical after I saw a youtube video of his greatest misses...but I'm kinda impressed that Mort had the scoop.

And I guess that hiring assistants as HC must be in vogue now, because the old hands (except for Mangini, and you can't even call him that.) are getting NO love when it comes to hiring.

Look how Dolphins' Tony Sparano, Ravens' John Harbaugh, and Falcons' Mike Smith all coaches with no prior experences did last year, taking teams that no one expected to make the playoffs to that point.

For every Sparano, Harbaugh and Smith, there's a Scott Linehan, Rod Marinelli and Cam Cameron.

And like I said, the Jets have been down this road all decade long. Going with a fresh face hasn't exactly worked for them, so maybe its time for NYJ to mix it up a little and go against the current trend by looking into hiring a so-called "re-tread", someone like Gruden, Jim Fassel, or hell, even Mike Martz. What exactly makes Rex Ryan any better than those ex-coaches?

6uXNWAo.png

Speaking of Scott Linehan, the latest rumors have Rex Ryan bringing him to New York as OC. That's not a strong rumor, but it's been mentioned as a good possibility.

He's also supposed to be a finalist for OC in TB. He already turned down the job in SF, so he's got to have options somewhere.

That said, I don't hold much ill-will against the guy. He certainly wasn't an effective head coach and his offense eroded over his 2+ years. Still, he has a decent past and might prove he's a decent coordinator again. The hiring wouldn't excite me if I were Jets or Bucs fans, though.

Look how Dolphins' Tony Sparano, Ravens' John Harbaugh, and Falcons' Mike Smith all coaches with no prior experences did last year, taking teams that no one expected to make the playoffs to that point.

For every Sparano, Harbaugh and Smith, there's a Scott Linehan, Rod Marinelli and Cam Cameron.

And like I said, the Jets have been down this road all decade long. Going with a fresh face hasn't exactly worked for them, so maybe its time for NYJ to mix it up a little and go against the current trend by looking into hiring a so-called "re-tread", someone like Gruden, Jim Fassel, or hell, even Mike Martz. What exactly makes Rex Ryan any better than those ex-coaches?

Ill take Jim Fassel, neva was sold on John Gruden because I will always believe he won a Super Bowl with Tony Dungy's players, and never been a Mike Martz. I would have done Brian Billick and gave up everything in the world to get Bill Cowher.

neva was sold on John Gruden because I will always believe he won a Super Bowl with Tony Dungy's players,

Ok then by that logic you have to give Gruden credit for building the team that Tampa beat in that Super Bowl.

That said Ryan is a good hire by the Jets.

neva was sold on John Gruden because I will always believe he won a Super Bowl with Tony Dungy's players,

Ok then by that logic you have to give Gruden credit for building the team that Tampa beat in that Super Bowl.

That said Ryan is a good hire by the Jets.

Yes, yes you do. And thank you to Gruden for that and creating the plays also that the Raiders so stupidly just ran against them! Thank You John Gruden for all of that. There was probably never an easier Super Bowl that was won than that one... we're forgetting the Patriots debacle against the Bears and Elway's first attempts and the Bills also! :P

I will reserve judgment on Ryan until seeing how the Jets turn out next season. Could be very hit or miss.

The thing that interests me most is what becomes of Jeff Jagodzinski now? Fired from Boston College for interviewing for this position, he's now out of a job. Where does everyone see him ending up?

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

You owe me a new workstation. I just spit my apple juice all over my keyboard and monitor.

(you forgot this point, though: he'd bring all them in, and STILL make a push to keep Brat.)

I reread this and thought, "I wonder if that workstation he has is a Mac?" :D

I reread this and thought, "I wonder if that workstation he has is a Mac?" :D

Nope. this one (at work) is a PC. The Mac is back at my rack...along with my two PC laptops.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

capt.5fbb70d848be4e9189fd997a6da9b8bf.jets_ryan_football_njmd104.jpg

<_<

Keeping Brett Favre around for 2009 was primary the reason Eric Mangini was sent packing -- but now with this terrible hire, Brett will definitely call it quits.

Why couldn't the Jets have just kept Mangini? ...Or talked to Shanahan? ...Hell, they wouldda been better off bringing back Kotite! :angered:

6uXNWAo.png

Archived