The Pirates in the bottom

Swiss

The Pirates are behind the Steelers and Penguins in Pittsburgh ---> LINK

An excerpt:

The Pittsburgh Pirates made a candid and surprising admission on Friday: Not only are they perennially in last place in the NL Central, they?ve dropped into last in their own city.

The Pirates rank third among the Steel City?s three major sports franchises from a marketing and business perspective, team president Frank Coonelly said.

There?s no shame in being less popular than the beloved Pittsburgh Steelers, who are seeking an unprecedented sixth Super Bowl title on Sunday. But for a major league baseball team to acknowledge it has slipped behind an NHL team in its marketplace is nearly unprecedented, except perhaps in Canada.

:blink:

From those days when the Bucs were widely beloved thanks to Honus Wagner and the Waner Bros to... now when they can be grateful to the fact Pittsburgh hasn't any NBA team so they can't be fourth in the local hearts.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sad, but true. Theyre laughed at around here. A joke. Fans of them like me either learn to laugh along, or get pushed closer and closer to jumping off the fan boat.

In fact, if you make fun of the Pirates to a Pirates fan, we will join you. In fact, we're better than anyone at making fun of them... we need something to do while watching their games.

Personally, Im starting to wonder why I go to games myself, other than for the experience. Ive been to PNC Park 4 to 10 times a year since it opened, and have experienced alot in the way of wierd things, different kinds of weather, and some great wins as well as epic failures. But really, im starting to wonder why I go anymore to a park where I and everyone goes in knowing that we will probably lose. Where theres such a small crowd, minimal excitement, and its quieter than if you were on the closed-to-traffic-on-game-day Clemente Bridge beyond Center Field.

Pittsburgh Arsenal - Elite Football League (NFL) - est. 2006 

Sad, but true. Theyre laughed at around here. A joke. Fans of them like me either learn to laugh along, or get pushed closer and closer to jumping off the fan boat.

In fact, if you make fun of the Pirates to a Pirates fan, we will join you. In fact, we're better than anyone at making fun of them... we need something to do while watching their games.

Alcohol. It makes more than just ugly women look good.

This franchise is a joke

At least the Pirates never lost massive divison leads in the final month of the baseball season two years in a row. Now that would be embarrasing.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

This franchise is a joke

At least the Pirates never lost massive divison leads in the final month of the baseball season two years in a row. Now that would be embarrasing.

HAW HAW

With that said...am I the only one who thinks that the Pirates, ever since the Sid Bream Slide, have just stopped trying? I mean, that plus Bonds left and that franchise went directly to hell.

They have a great park, one of my favorite identities in pro sports, and yet they are terrible. It's sad.

Being shipped out of the NL East into the NL Central did nothing to help the Pirates, either. Less exposure to New York, less exposure to their in-state rival in the Phillies, coupled with the departures of Bonilla and Bonds, seem to have spelled doom for the Buccos.

PNC Park helped, but the Pirates have never been able to parlay the new park into success on the field.

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

That's a reach w/r/t the NL Central. While I think that old Eastern Division with Chicago, New York, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, and Montreal was one awesome circuit of towns, to say that the Pirates have become less marketable becuse they stopped playing the Mets is tenuous at best.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

That's a reach w/r/t the NL Central. While I think that old Eastern Division with Chicago, New York, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, and Montreal was one awesome circuit of towns, to say that the Pirates have become less marketable becuse they stopped playing the Mets is tenuous at best.

Shoot-going to the NL Central should have made it easier to win, not harder.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Shoot-going to the NL Central should have made it easier to win, not harder.

Exactly. Considering the complete stranglehold that the Braves had on the NL East from its conception until a few years ago, the Pirates' best bet would've been to stay in the central.

Alcohol. It makes more than just ugly women look good.

Let me correct your phrase!

Alcohol. It makes more than just any current Pirates' player look like Roberto Clemente.

:D

Well, talking seriously, this is a sad stuff... the Pirates have an illustrious past, an uniforms' rich history... and now they are the modern St. Louis Browns.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Personally, Im starting to wonder why I go to games myself, other than for the experience. Ive been to PNC Park 4 to 10 times a year since it opened, and have experienced alot in the way of wierd things, different kinds of weather, and some great wins as well as epic failures. But really, im starting to wonder why I go anymore to a park where I and everyone goes in knowing that we will probably lose. Where theres such a small crowd, minimal excitement, and its quieter than if you were on the closed-to-traffic-on-game-day Clemente Bridge beyond Center Field.

So just out of curiosity, if a Nationals player starts to make some noise in the NL this year, and it turns out he's more popular around the league than, say, McLouth, are you going to Crosby it up about that as well? I just want to know where you stand on this whole thing.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

So just out of curiosity, if a Nationals player starts to make some noise in the NL this year, and it turns out he's more popular around the league than, say, McLouth, are you going to Crosby it up about that as well? I just want to know where you stand on this whole thing.

Youre a funny, funny man.

I feel it's a valid question. :mad:

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Why do you never stop chirping?

Because my distain for everyone's love affair with Ovechkin has so much to do with the Pirates.

Archived