2 NHL concepts: Wild and Lightning

elliott

Hi again people, I have been working on these two concepts for the past couple days, and I thought I'd share. Both are dedicated to someone. Read on for more details.

Wild:

Dedicated to: twins_vikes_wild_man/TC/Mr. Beastly

This one is for our good friend who got himself banned. It is a lot quieter without him around here, I have to say, especially since he managed to post on every damn thread! I have a feeling that he somehow is observing with a dupe account, maybe from school or something, so if you are out there TC, this one's for your home team.

UPDATE: Switched up the striping scheme, new font, and changed number placement.

WildConcept2009-2.gif

ORIGINAL

Lightning:

Dedicated to: Me!

Yep I said it. I think my second concept on the boards was for the Bolts. Since my 2 year anniversary on the CCSLC is coming up, I figured I'd go back and "finish what I started" with the Lightning, haha. So it is y'all's lucky day, you get to see the original concept:

LINK

So I have come a long way, obviously.

And here is the concept. I used the same shoulder striping pattern, sorta. I added navy instead of black, and I lightened up the blue little. I don't think I have seen many Lightning concepts with this scheme, so hopefully it is a first. The lightning bolts on the shoulders were just my attempt at something creative.

UPDATE: Bolts on pants, new font.

Lightning2009-2.gif

ORIGINAL

And one with black, if you prefer: LINK

I hope you guys like these, your comments are appreciated, as always. I will be getting back to NBA after this.

Both of these are perfect. You solved the Wild's problem of having a traditional template and a modern logo and made them look great at the same time. The Lightning look awesome awesome also. I love the lightning design.

I think the Lightning set is almost perfect. I think a different number font would work better, though. I like the return of green for the Wild, but again, I think another font would would work better for the numbers. Something about the stripes on the Wild don't seem right to me. All in all, very good job on both uniforms.

Just a minor thing, but i think that the pant's could use some stripes on them in order to break up the color and make it less monochromy.

Good point, I guess I was too eager to show these, because I completely forgot the Lightning bolt pant stripe, especially.

Thanks for the comments, I'm going to make some # font changes along with the pants striping tomorrow.

This one time I creeped on eilliots profile and was checking out some of his original concepts ... I thought it was a different member. His original concepts are horrendous compared to his current work.

Great job elliot on these and how far you have come as a designer.

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

Good presentation but, I'm not a fan. No offense.

Your a newbie so we will let it slip.

If you like a concept tell him why you liked it, if you didn't tell him why you didn't.

Little comments like yours don't help out the designer in anyway. The main reason for this section is designers looking for help to make their concepts better.

Welcome to the boards :)

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

These look sweet, especially the Lightning one. I've always wanted them to have electric-blue jerseys, at least for the alts. You used it for their regular home sweaters.

And I love how you used Marian Gaborik's #10 for your Wild jersey but just called him "Player". He is something of a persona non grata to many Wild fans these days.

CCSLC signature.png

Good presentation but, I'm not a fan. No offense.

Your a newbie so we will let it slip.

If you like a concept tell him why you liked it, if you didn't tell him why you didn't.

Little comments like yours don't help out the designer in anyway. The main reason for this section is designers looking for help to make their concepts better.

Welcome to the boards :)

Ohhhh forgetaboutit!!! What I meant was I'm not a fan of the wild because it is way to similar to the buffalo sabres old design. & second, the color scheme on the lighting is just horrible, the blue looks too close to purple and when its mixed with the gray shoulders and trim its just disgusting. My opinion: start from stratch, use a different design for the wild and then completely redo the lighting.

pauliesig2.jpg

I LOVE the lightning ones! The Wild are great too--the only thing I'm not a fan of is the wide green stripe on the green jersey w/just the tan separating the two. Clean work my friend!

The below to be updated once the newest banner is raised!
spacer.png

Lightning:

Dedicated to: Me!

Yep I said it. I think my second concept on the boards was for the Bolts. Since my 2 year anniversary on the CCSLC is coming up, I figured I'd go back and "finish what I started" with the Lightning, haha. So it is y'all's lucky day, you get to see the original concept:

LINK

So I have come a long way, obviously.

And here is the concept. I used the same shoulder striping pattern, sorta. I added navy instead of black, and I lightened up the blue little. I don't think I have seen many Lightning concepts with this scheme, so hopefully it is a first. The lightning bolts on the shoulders were just my attempt at something creative.

Lightning2009.gif

I hope you guys like these, your comments are appreciated, as always. I will be getting back to NBA after this.

YES! YES! YES!

This IS what the Lightning should look like.

This is pefect, send it to the NHL ASAP!

Edit: for the wild concept being dedicated to Mr. Beastly, i was hoping for something similar to his Packers concept: http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showtopic=63884

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

I LOVE the lightning ones! The Wild are great too--the only thing I'm not a fan of is the wide green stripe on the green jersey w/just the tan separating the two. Clean work my friend!

That's what I was thinking as well, but I couldn't figure out the words to say it.

The Tampa concept is damn near perfection! Someone suggested earlier doing the bottom stripe with the lightning pattern as well, I think that would work well.

Lightning concept is very nice. As you mentioned earlier, a bolt on the pants would be a nice touch. But I disapprove of most teams using pants striping. To me, very few of them can pull it off. Two who CAN do it and come to mind are the Lightning and the Rangers. I think the Hurricanes do theirs well because they use a horizontal stripe across the bottom of the pants, which flows with all the other horizontal stripes on the jersey and socks. When teams stick random vertical stripes on the pants, it always seems to me to clash badly with the horizontal stripes everywhere else. But I digress...

The Wild concept is ok, but the interaction between the sleeve numbers and the sleeve stripes is not working for me. Having three different colors behind the numbers--one of which is thin, in the middle, and the same color as the numbers--makes the numbers difficult to read now, and would be even harder to read on the ice. I think the striping is nice, I'd just like to see the numbers off the stripes.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Archived