ScottySprings' NCAA Football (08-09) Top 25 Countdown

scottysprings

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scotty you have done a great job with my alma mater. I personally love the cat scratch marks on the pants, but what you have done is great looking. The one thing I don't like about their current set is the piping is too subtle, so I like the color you have added. The red jersey is my personal favorite. I would like to see the Bearcat Eyes logo used on the jersey in some way, I know I might be in the minority there but I like the them. Wonderful job.

roqymbou.pngfx32axau.png

• 3 weeks later...

Alrighty, back from hiatus, here is number 16, the Oklahoma State Cowboys. I think the slab serif font works really well, especially for a team called the Cowboys. I made sure to keep the white helmet, being it's a bit of a trademark, but used a black facemask and some striping on the dome. As much as I love it, I didn't want to use the triple sleeve stripe from the Sanders era again because I've already used it for quite a few teams. Besides that, I know it is very simple and nothing too overboard. I've realized it looks pretty similar to SC's uniforms so I'm open for suggestions on separating the two looks.

OklahomaState-1.png

I just released OK State but I've had #15 Virginia Tech ready for a while now. I knew what I've wanted to do with this set for a long while now, so all I had to do was render it. I made a USF concept a year or two ago and I really liked the template I came up with. I had been waiting to use it in the series and I think it works perfectly for VATech. It seems to me that the program and its fans really favor their throwback uniforms, and this template is kind of a modernized version of their throws. Not much else to say besides it's one of my favorites thus far :P

VirginiaTech.png

Your latest two are excellent, especially that VT uniform. It looks a lot like my Jacksonville Jaguars concept, what with the the two colored stripes and cut off pants stripes (glad to see I'm not the only fan of asymmetrical striping!). In fact, that VT set might be my favorite of the unis you've posted. Clean, classy, etc. Those colors are so great! As for the OK State Unis, I'm not quite as big of a fan but it's still great. The helmet striping doesn't really work with the rest of the identity, and the fonts don't match, but overall it's nice.

scotland_fifasig.png

In reference to OSU:

I feel like the helmet logo font and the font on the jerseys really clash. Otherwise this one looks really good.

I completely echo these sentiments. I like the set and the jersey/pants designs. However, the logo style (beveled, somewhat blockish) doesn't match the numbers at all. I really like the numbers, and I think that should be driver for characters in the set. (When do you see Arial with block serifs? Very cool.) Would you be opposed to using the old logo? (Orange outlined in black like you have, but no bevels.)

The VT helmet reminds me of what they wore in the 1980's when they had the center stripes and white facemask. That was the best helmet that they have ever worn. Very good job on this one.

However, the Okie State concept doesn't got together. The number font doesn't go well with the helmet logo.

• 2 months later...

Well after a few months I'm back with my next team, the University of Mississippi Rebels, which also happens to be the first SEC team of the series. I really like the overall look of their current duds so I didn't try changing much here as you can see, I just tried to solidify the design and brand. The biggest thing that sticks out to me about their current unis is the lack of defined primary color, kinda similar to the New York Giants if you will. For the home uniform, the colors are navy and white while the aways feature a very dominant red and white. Instead of just picking one primary color, I tried to equally incorporate both into both jerseys by making the racing stripes on the sleeve 2 color and also incorporating that design into the helmet and pants. I also swapped out the stacked "Ole Miss" logo on the helmet in favor of the straight version. Like I said not much of a change but I think it does a lot for the look.

Edit: Forgot the gray pants :o

Ole-Miss-2.png

Well after a few months I'm back with my next team, the University of Mississippi Rebels, which also happens to be the first SEC team of the series. I really like the overall look of their current duds so I didn't try changing much here as you can see, I just tried to solidify the design and brand. The biggest thing that sticks out to me about their current unis is the lack of defined primary color, kinda similar to the New York Giants if you will. For the home uniform, the colors are navy and white while the aways feature a very dominant red and white. Instead of just picking one primary color, I tried to equally incorporate both into both jerseys by making the racing stripes on the sleeve 2 color and also incorporating that design into the helmet and pants. I also swapped out the stacked "Ole Miss" logo on the helmet in favor of the straight version. Like I said not much of a change but I think it does a lot for the look.

Ole-Miss.png

Just catching up on this awesome thread, a couple thoughts:

*First off, spectacular work. You're making, for the most part, excellent changes without being to radical. Basically all of these are upgrades and realistic at that. Loving it.

*As far as Ole Miss goes, any thoughts to using grey/silver pants? I'd suggest it for both home and away... not sure, but in my head it fits. Just a thought.

*Lastly... I would love to see your take on my alma mater (The U) after you're done with the Top 25. I know we're not exactly AP material right now... but our unis lately have been trash. Would love to see your rendition.

Cheers and keep up the great work!

jerseys.png

Polygon signature courtesy of LEWJ.

bannerwpr.gif

*As far as Ole Miss goes, any thoughts to using grey/silver pants? I'd suggest it for both home and away... not sure, but in my head it fits. Just a thought.

*Lastly... I would love to see your take on my alma mater (The U) after you're done with the Top 25. I know we're not exactly AP material right now... but our unis lately have been trash. Would love to see your rendition.

Ah, I can't believe I missed that, I picked out the right hue but never applied the swatch to the pants :o Thanks for the heads up. I'd also be willing to try something out for Miami for you after I complete the remaining 12 teams.

Well I'm in a concepty mood tonight so I'm going to also put out my next tweak, this for the quite historic #13 University of Georgia Bulldogs. Now, I know there are a number of Georgia fans here on the boards so I'm interested in seeing what they think of this little change I made here. The Dawgs have one of my top 5 favorite uniforms in the NCAA, mostly because of the silver tri-color striped "britches", so I couldn't go change that up. The simplicity of the solid jersey with contrast cuffs also looks beautiful to me. Now here's the catch, the helmet is silver! With black, not white, striping and facemask! I love the UGA helmet as a standalone helmet but I really like the black in the jerseys and felt the need to bring it into the helmet; However, the black didn't go too well with the red shell so naturally the silver seemed to work great, not to mention it matches the pants. Only other tweak here was I removed the "G" logo from the pants to reduce clutter. Not much of a change but change nonetheless! What do you think?

Georgia.png

Wasn't expecting silver helmets for UGA. Gotta check it out a bit more, but I think I like it.

Also, one last thing about Ole Miss- the shoulder stripes on the back of the white jersey are reversed. Just a tiny FYI.

jerseys.png

Polygon signature courtesy of LEWJ.

bannerwpr.gif

I like the last two. They're little tweaks, but they work. Georgia by far has one of the best sets in America, and I think you improved them, but it'll take some getting used to.

That said, your next team better be a more radical change :P

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

Meh, the silver helmets make them look too much like Ohio State, I think UGA's Red-White-Silver road combo (red helmets obviously) makes them unique, and that's why I don't really think these are an upgrade.

As a Georgia fan, this is how I feel exactly. I really don't feel like the silver helmet works.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

I appreciate you took a chance on the silver helmet, man. The jerseys are some of the best in the NCAA, so i like that you took a chance... but really, I agree in that it takes away some of their uniqueness and makes them more like OSU. Honestly, though, I don't envy your position right now as for most of the other teams on this list there are areas in which I would make a change, but UGA's are so classic that you border on blasphemy with any major change.

Anyway, thanks for starting the series again, I really enjoy your designs

Thanks for all the input guys. Thanks for the heads up again, cupps. As for the Georgia helmet issue, I understand the affinity towards the red helmet but to be frank I'm kind of unsure how to handle it. I also like the look of the red helmet and its tradition but I think it's the most sensible aspect of the uniform to change. I don't think I would mistake them for OSU out on the field but maybe that's just me. I'll see if I get anymore feedback before I make any changes.

Archived