Radio Shack Using Thier Old Logo In This Week's Ad...

LoligerBS

Very neat. As an aside, how is Radio Shack still in business? Back in the day before Best Buy or Circuit City I used to go to Radio Shack, but now it doesn't even cross my mind when I need an electronic gizmo, tv, cell phone, etc. There are only 2 that I can think of in this area.

They focus on just batteries and accessories--the things you forget to buy when bad salespeople at BB, CC etc don't remind you about them. These are also by far the highest markup items (we're talking 500%).

The below to be updated once the newest banner is raised!
spacer.png

Very neat. As an aside, how is Radio Shack still in business? Back in the day before Best Buy or Circuit City I used to go to Radio Shack, but now it doesn't even cross my mind when I need an electronic gizmo, tv, cell phone, etc. There are only 2 that I can think of in this area.

Read this. Good for a laugh!

Even CEO Can't Figure Out How RadioShack Still In Business

"Have you even been inside of a RadioShack recently?" Day asked. "Just walking into the place makes you feel vaguely depressed and alienated. Maybe our customers are at the mall anyway and don't feel like driving to Best Buy? I suppose that's possible, but still, it's just...weird."

Hahaha! Yep, that about sums it up! If I ever have an impulse urge to buy a watch battery while at the mall, I know exactly where to go!

When I needed a ground-loop isolator for my car, Radio Shack was there.

When I needed wafer boards, capacitors, solder, and resistors for a DIY project, Radio Shack was there.

I think Radio Shack and Best Buy's target markets are different enough to warrant RS's existence.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Every cable, splitter, and converter imaginable. Right there in the store, with sales staff that actually know what you're looking for, and can help you find it, in a manner that makes the occasional awkward commission selling bearable. My needs from Radio Shack have been fairly pedestrian and A/V based throughout the years, but I can't recall a single time where the phrase "Sorry, we don't carry that" came from the staff. And that's why I keep going back, and when it comes to getting something of that variety, the first thought in my mind is, "Well, no need to order online and wait, Radio Shack should probably have it."

As an aside, anyone else here remember when Radio Shack used to occasionally give away those "free" humongous flashlights that were really just a ploy to sell batteries? I think those suckers ran on 4 or 5 D cells each.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

When I needed wafer boards, capacitors, solder, and resistors for a DIY project, Radio Shack was there.

I think Radio Shack and Best Buy's target markets are different enough to warrant RS's existence.

Flux Capacitors? This is heavy, Doc.

They also sold DIY project kits. I once made a radio... and it worked!

I saw, I came, I left.

Every cable, splitter, and converter imaginable. Right there in the store, with sales staff that actually know what you're looking for, and can help you find it, in a manner that makes the occasional awkward commission selling bearable. My needs from Radio Shack have been fairly pedestrian and A/V based throughout the years, but I can't recall a single time where the phrase "Sorry, we don't carry that" came from the staff. And that's why I keep going back, and when it comes to getting something of that variety, the first thought in my mind is, "Well, no need to order online and wait, Radio Shack should probably have it."

As an aside, anyone else here remember when Radio Shack used to occasionally give away those "free" humongous flashlights that were really just a ploy to sell batteries? I think those suckers ran on 4 or 5 D cells each.

That's very true. My Dad needed a new needle for his record player, and they actually had it in stock! Ridiculous! I guess there are practical uses for Radio Shack. I always remember the one in the mall when I was a kid because of the funny smell from all the electronics running in such a confined space. That and the RC cars they used to let us play with out front of the store!

Flux Capacitors? This is heavy, Doc.

It's what makes time travel possible.

Archived