The FA updates England's crest

Ben7

Source

main change: switch from darkblue to a light blue + minor updates on the items in it

I don't care how iconic the lions are, they look bad. as does the whole logo.

The EPL lion is way cooler just as an example.

Here are the new crests (for the FA in general and the Mens National Team):

NewCrests_H.jpg

Closeup on the lions, although be aware that this lion is at a slight angle:

NewCrests_cu_L.jpg

And for comparison, the old one:

FA_CREST_4C.jpg

In general, I love the heraldic lions.

I don't like the new crest. Seems like needless change for its own sake, making it more complicated. Odd, because simplificiation is better in embroidery and in web design, two of the major applications for the crest. Downgrade all around.

And I hate the new color for the shirt badge. Awful. Hope they come to their senses and bring back the navy.

new-england-crest.jpg

The FA has revealed a new version of its iconic ?Three Lions? Crest ? the visual identity of The FA and England teams. The new design takes its inspiration from the 1948-49 Crest.

The iconic ?Three Lions? Crest has been refreshed to give greater visual standout in today?s digital environment.

It draws directly from the significant heritage the Crest embodies ? namely the College of Arms version commissioned by The FA in 1948. It is the first time in seven years The FA has made changes to its Crest.

It includes redrawn Three Lions, more authentic-looking Tudor roses and a new colourway for the England Crest ? lighter blue ? to differentiate it from the previous version and enhance its on-shirt presence.

The England Senior Team will wear the Crest for the first time on 28 March in the match against Slovakia at Wembley Stadium.

Extensive research was conducted by The FA with different groups before the design changes were undertaken in-house. The aim was to establish what ?The FA? and ?England? represent in people?s lives, and to gain a greater insight into the sense of national identity the ?Three Lions? can deliver.

The FA?s Group Commercial Director, Jonathan Hill, commented: ?We have taken great care in updating The FA?s ?Three Lions? Crest.

"The new designs have been modernised for today?s digital world, whilst also ensuring that they reflect the rich heritage and traditions of the Crest - particularly the 1948-49 version.?

The single-lion emblem was first adopted by Henry II when he became King of England in 1154. It was added to by Richard I (The Lion-heart) who added a second, and then third lion by the end of his reign in 1199.

However it was not until 1872, nine years after The FA was established, that the Crest featured in an England game, adorning the players? shirts in the world?s first international match, between England and Scotland in Glasgow.

England Crest

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

And now two threads become one. Enjoy!

Oh, and I fully agree with Gothamite on this one. This means the world will end soon, you realize. :P

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Ben beat you to it, although your title is better.

sorry, should have seen that one.

I'm not a designer or marketing expert myself, but it seems really to be a "change, in order I can show, I don't get my money for nothing and my job is important" update.

one one of the fake kits the current logo had like an additional frame aound the logo itself (same form as the current outline)

I'd love to have seen diffrent kind of lions, maybe more red in it,

trafalgar square lion

http://www.greggayden.com/europe05/Trafalg...uare%20Lion.jpg

adidas lion

http://www.press.adidas.com/au/desktopdefa...20DB%20Lion%20/

Unnecessary change to an iconic crest. Apart from the desire to have more realistic Tudor Roses, I don't really see what the impetus was for the change. Is this new badge really going to "enhance its on-shirt presence"?

I guess I won't pass judgment until I see the kit in its entirety but this seems, as Gothamite said, to be change for the sake of change.

EDIT: I just saw this in the kit thread

england-09-11-umbro-football-shirt-kit-eaked.jpg

I'm trying to imagine the lighter blue on the crest paired with navy blue shorts...

Untitled-1-1.gif

Sig by TalktoChuck

I don't care how iconic the lions are, they look bad. as does the whole logo.

The EPL lion is way cooler just as an example.

The lions just aren't iconic. They're the coat of arms of England, which, IMO, makes them the best choice for an English "national" team crest.

As seen in the first and fourth quarters in the coat of arms of the United Kingdom....

UK_Royal_Coat_of_Arms.png

...which is exactly why the Three Lions must remain in their heraldic form.

Unnecessary change to an iconic crest. Apart from the desire to have more realistic Tudor Roses, I don't really see what the impetus was for the change. Is this new badge really going to "enhance its on-shirt presence"?

I guess I won't pass judgment until I see the kit in its entirety but this seems, as Gothamite said, to be change for the sake of change.

EDIT: I just saw this in the kit thread

england-09-11-umbro-football-shirt-kit-eaked.jpg

I'm trying to imagine the lighter blue on the crest paired with navy blue shorts...

Man, I really hate that shirt. I've changed my mind on the built-in Web link, which is starting to feel inspired. But on the whole, it's a terrible jersey. Hopefully the navy badge marks it as a fake.

Looking at the TOFFS offerings, there are so many better directions in which they could have taken this. I rather like the idea of incorporating St. Edward's Crown:

3025_l.jpg3024_l.jpg

Considering how beloved 1966 is in English football memories, I'm really surprised they'd move away from the navy of that badge:

3027l.jpg

Absolutely inexcusable, but I LO-O-OOOVE those painted toenails! I need to visit that lion's pedicurist. [/shootme]

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

As much as I was hoping that shirt was a training shirt, I recieved an email from the FA that seems to show the design detail of the right sleeve. So apparently these are the new first shirts. Horrible!

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived