Another Colts Change For 2004

TruColor

A VERY reliable source informed me yesterday that there is another change coming for the Colts in 2004 - besides the color change that we've already discussed:

Gray facemasks.

Really.

I hate these things, and especially hate this retro trend of late. It's a fad that I hope will die a painful death soon...

:cursing:

I'll reserve judgment on this until I see it, but my initial thoughts are right in line with you guys.

Retro, when done for no other reason than "because it's in" is terrible. I'm completely in favor of it when it is merely going back to something better. I think the Pistons for instance, just realized the turquoise nightmare was hideous and dumped it. Fine. But the colts, in many ways, never left their scheme and to "return" to retro facemasks. WTF? All facemasks were gray cause I'm pretty sure they didn't know how to color the rubber coating. Once they cleared that engineering hurdle your helmet had better be silver for you to mess with grey facemasks.

I'm not anti-retro, but like anything, I'm in favor of using it judiciously.

Stupid colts.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

I'll reserve judgment on this until I see it, but my initial thoughts are right in line with you guys.

Retro, when done for no other reason than "because it's in" is terrible. I'm completely in favor of it when it is merely going back to something better. I think the Pistons for instance, just realized the turquoise nightmare was hideous and dumped it. Fine. But the colts, in many ways, never left their scheme and to "return" to retro facemasks. WTF? All facemasks were gray cause I'm pretty sure they didn't know how to color the rubber coating. Once they cleared that engineering hurdle your helmet had better be silver for you to mess with grey facemasks.

I'm not anti-retro, but like anything, I'm in favor of using it judiciously.

Stupid colts.

amen!

Another interesting tidbit...

This new Blue that the Colts are going to (and I have confirmed the actual Pantone being used), is unique...but...this same color is showing up all over minor league baseball for 2004...it's being called "Dark Royal Blue".

Again, it's a fad.

That's so odd. The Colts were one of the first teams to ditch grey facemasks in the 70's and one of only a few teams to change their facemask colors more than once while still using the same helmet design (the Pats and Vikes being the others). I will say this - I didn't like the bright blue color of the facemasks they were using but I think the darker blue they are going to would have looked good.

If this angle of the retro fad continues, I suppose the next thing we'll see are leather helmets.

Is there some anniversary they are celebrating with this?

I don't believe so. I think they just celebrated their 20th anniversary in Indy last season.

Which REALLY makes me feel old, since I was in my fourth year of college in 1984...

I am in favor of their white facemasks.

And i'm with Yale, bring on the leather helmets!

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

This is really hard to believe for me, it just seems so totally out of place and pointless for the Colts. My God would that look terrible on Manning's revolution helmet.....

I think you've just struck upon something. It IS possible to make a Revolution helmet look uglier!

Safety or no safety, I hate those helmets and their freaky mutated facemask sets.

Is there some anniversary they are celebrating with this?

I don't believe so. I think they just celebrated their 20th anniversary in Indy last season.

Which REALLY makes me feel old, since I was in my fourth year of college in 1984...

if it makes you feel any better, in 1984, i was being born :)

btw, i love this thread. any time people come together to attack the colts is an enjoyable time :)

Archived