Avs Wordmark Tweaking

StPatty33

Hello, All!

While I've been mostly inactive for a couple years until recently, many of you oldbies probably recall my endless Avalanche concepts. The other day I was downloading a buttload of fonts and decided I'd give the Avs wordmark a bit of an adjustment. I've always loved the font they used, so it wasn't out of a need for change, it was more just that I'd created an original Avs logo a long time ago and wanted a quasi-original wordmark to go with it.

So below are various progressions and adjustments given to the color scheme and wordmark:

This first one is the original primary logo and wordmark of the Avs, just for reference:

AvOriginal.png

This next one I adjusted the wordmark outlining to give it a more 3D feel, and included my Avs logo I designed a couple years ago:

AvTweak.png

This set brings back the original logo, has an even more 3D looking wordmark, and utilizes my dream color scheme for the Avs. (sometimes I get tired of the maroon and really think that a powder blue goes well with the Avalanche identity):

AvColor.png

This final set has an original wordmark I created with a different font that I tweaked quite a bit, my logo, and my color scheme. I'm not sure I like this wordmark better than the original, but it definitely has more dimension and I really like the 3D overlapping on the "COLORADO" portion of it. (those that remember my original logo creation may recall that the little puck in the middle always looked a little odd angle-wise...--this is the version that I feel I really fixed it on and I can now sleep at night, haha):

AvWord1.png

Thanks for humoring me all. C&C is always welcome and appreciated!

The below to be updated once the newest banner is raised!
spacer.png

I remember seeing your logo and thinking that is the coolest Avs logo I have ever seen, and I still think that. I feel their current wordmark is slightly outdated, and yours resolves it perfectly. My only complaint is the overlapped COLORADO. I understand you like the overlap effect, but it may be tough to read when the logo is shrunk down. Beautiful work, though.

Good call. The "L" in colorado was hard to see in a couple different iterations of the wordmark, and I think I inadvertently used an outdated version above.

I made it a bit thicker and moved it up so it wasn't as hidden, but still gives the effect:

AvMark2.png

spacer.png

I remember seeing your logo and thinking that is the coolest Avs logo I have ever seen, and I still think that. I feel their current wordmark is slightly outdated, and yours resolves it perfectly. My only complaint is the overlapped COLORADO. I understand you like the overlap effect, but it may be tough to read when the logo is shrunk down. Beautiful work, though.

Agreed. I hate the Avs, but I love that logo. Nice job!

Awesome to have you posting again St. Patty, I remember when I was a total noob I think you had recently posted your C logo, it was definitely my favorite concept at the time, and it's still one of the better concepts I have seen on these boards. This is a very good update to the wordmark. It looks a little Predators-ish, but I think thats okay because it still fits with the Avs. One suggestion I would make would be to fill in the blank spaces between the 'L' and the 'A', and also between the 'C' and the 'H', with navy. It's really minor, but in my eyes it would look bolder and more professional, and would also connect the middle O in Colorado in with the script more, I think.

Awesome to have you posting again St. Patty, I remember when I was a total noob I think you had recently posted your C logo, it was definitely my favorite concept at the time, and it's still one of the better concepts I have seen on these boards. This is a very good update to the wordmark. It looks a little Predators-ish, but I think thats okay because it still fits with the Avs. One suggestion I would make would be to fill in the blank spaces between the 'L' and the 'A', and also between the 'C' and the 'H', with navy. It's really minor, but in my eyes it would look bolder and more professional, and would also connect the middle O in Colorado in with the script more, I think.

I agree with Elliott about the empty space. I love this logo and wordmark. A great update over their current set. Nice work as always St.Patty.

jNTsTyQ.png

Yeah I definitely considered filling those in. In the end I decided not to as it would severely lessen the 3D effect of the image. Maybe I'll make a filled in version and share it to see what everybody thinks.

Thought I would share a background I made for my computer with you all:

AvWordBak2.jpg

spacer.png

AvMark2.png

looks real good...

couple of things to maybe try...may work/may not...

the v, n, h... how they extend above the top line...maybe try and bring these down so the top line is all even...with the state name overlapped..i think this might help...

for colorado.....try less bold....at smaller sizes, the c will close up on the right, and the a's hole will close up.

and maybe try to make a couple other letters than just the "a" drop below the baseline...maybe try and change the first a so the left leg stops at the baseline and the right side drops down, and the right leg of the "h" drops down...and the right leg on the "n" this will help balance it ...it looks odd to me with the drops at intervals all on the left side and nothing on the right

food for thought.........

footer_helmet.gif

for colorado.....try less bold....at smaller sizes, the c will close up on the right, and the a's hole will close up.

I was so ashamed of myself when I read this wrong.

I'm still laughing from reading it wrong, maybe I should be ashamed

30vja50.png

GIANTS_REDSOX_CELTICS_LIGHTNING_BULLS

I am diggin that wallpaper. Is there any chance you'd take requests?

I'm glad you guys like the wallpaper, I thought it was pretty hot myself.

I'll likely take requests in the future, but I just came down with pneumonia and don't really have the energy or wherewithall to do them right now.

I appreciate the feedback, Elliot! I essentially took the basic font and made those little cuts in it, and left the legs the way they were. I hadn't considered customizing it further to make it more symetrical etc, but I think that's a great idea. I'll tinker with it when I get over this horrid sickness.

spacer.png

Archived