MLB Traditions

pcgd

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Only tradition that I can say at the moment for the Diamondbacks is the Mustard, Ketchup and Relish races.

The Orioles started doing that two years ago (I think), but its just a cartoon on the jumbotron. They also do the Crab Shuffle. They also used to play Orioles Magic before every game as the team took the field. However just last season they switched it to after wins because Kevin Millar made a music video for the song. Not sure what they'll do with it this season.

Another cool thing they started a couple years ago was playing Will Ferrell as Frank the Tank on the jumbotron for homeruns. It's pretty cool to see on TV when the guy is rounding third. (I also started doing it after I hit homeruns in my softball league).

Also I know the Rangers play the Natural theme when their players hit homeruns.

Sounds like the Indians are ripping off a lot of other teams with their version of the Sausage Races. I think it's called a Hot Dog Race in Cleveland, but it's three dudes being forced to wear hot dog costumes, each one representing either ketchup, mustard, or relish, they each represent some random section in the stadium (never the one I'm in, of course, lol), and they race around the stadium. I can't remember what the prize is for the winning section, probably a free hot dog or something.

I also think they play "Hang On Sloopy" on a regular basis. I went to a few games last year, and I did hear it at each game. "Hang On Sloopy" is an Ohio thing, though, not necessarily an Indians thing. You'll hear that at just about any sporting event in Ohio.

And I don't know how common this is all around the MLB, but the Indians do have a pretty impressive fireworks show after every Friday home game, that's kind of a tradition, but that could be pretty common everywhere for all I know. They also shoot off a couple of fireworks after a home run and/or a win.

You already got John Adams the drummer guy on the list, he definitely deserves to be there. I've never not seen him there either in person or on any broadcast game. That dude is always there, no matter how good or how bad the team may be doing that particular year, which is awesome to see. It would absolutely be noticed by just about everyone if he missed a game, and the Indians would most likely get beaten senseless in that game, too.

Jacobs (... or Progressive :rolleyes: ) Field also has a picnic area in straightaway center field between the two bullpens, but I'm not sure if they open that area to the public during the games themselves. I can't remember ever actually seeing anyone down there during a game, anyway. I could be wrong about that, but you don't see that in every ball park. Along the same lines of that is the Pepsi Home Run Porch, the standing room only area where fans are perched on the top of the left field wall and numerous foul balls and home runs are hit there. I've actually had more fun at that stadium when I never once go to the seat I paid for but rather, just stay on the Home Run Porch for the whole game. It's an awesome view up there if you can get close enough to the railings, of course.

For the Cubs:

-Ronnie Woo Woo- crazy homeless guy, i.e: "Cubs! Woo! Derek! Woo! Lee! Woo!"

-Bleacher Bums-crazy drunk bleacher fans

-Manually-operated scoreboard

-Division Standings represented by flags on top of the scoreboard

-and this beauty: wrigley.jpg

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

Sounds like the Indians are ripping off a lot of other teams with their version of the Sausage Races. I think it's called a Hot Dog Race in Cleveland, but it's three dudes being forced to wear hot dog costumes, each one representing either ketchup, mustard, or relish, they each represent some random section in the stadium (never the one I'm in, of course, lol), and they race around the stadium. I can't remember what the prize is for the winning section, probably a free hot dog or something.

I also think they play "Hang On Sloopy" on a regular basis. I went to a few games last year, and I did hear it at each game. "Hang On Sloopy" is an Ohio thing, though, not necessarily an Indians thing. You'll hear that at just about any sporting event in Ohio.

And I don't know how common this is all around the MLB, but the Indians do have a pretty impressive fireworks show after every Friday home game, that's kind of a tradition, but that could be pretty common everywhere for all I know. They also shoot off a couple of fireworks after a home run and/or a win.

You already got John Adams the drummer guy on the list, he definitely deserves to be there. I've never not seen him there either in person or on any broadcast game. That dude is always there, no matter how good or how bad the team may be doing that particular year, which is awesome to see. It would absolutely be noticed by just about everyone if he missed a game, and the Indians would most likely get beaten senseless in that game, too.

Jacobs (... or Progressive :rolleyes: ) Field also has a picnic area in straightaway center field between the two bullpens, but I'm not sure if they open that area to the public during the games themselves. I can't remember ever actually seeing anyone down there during a game, anyway. I could be wrong about that, but you don't see that in every ball park. Along the same lines of that is the Pepsi Home Run Porch, the standing room only area where fans are perched on the top of the left field wall and numerous foul balls and home runs are hit there. I've actually had more fun at that stadium when I never once go to the seat I paid for but rather, just stay on the Home Run Porch for the whole game. It's an awesome view up there if you can get close enough to the railings, of course.

Point #1: Money

Point #2: Yes, the Buckeys are so popular, Youngstown State moved up a basketball game to accomodate the '08 National Championship Game

Point #3: Yes, Friday Fireworks, Saturday Giveaways, and Sunday Kids Day (I think the latter two aren't flip flopped)

Point #4: They even sent him to Milwaukee in '07

Point #5: I sat in the bleachers this year. That area of the park is just really fun.

And, the whole Souvenir City thing (I think) started with the Indians in '07, NOT ESPN.

6fQjS3M.png

Doesn't San Diego have the sausage races?

That's a Milwaukee thing, my friend. Bratwurst, Italian Sausage, Polish Sausage, Hot Dog, and now the Chorizo.

THEY ONCE SENT HIM TO THE MINORS FOR MORE SEASONING.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Doesn't San Diego have the sausage races?

That's a Milwaukee thing, my friend. Bratwurst, Italian Sausage, Polish Sausage, Hot Dog, and now the Chorizo.

THEY ONCE SENT HIM TO THE MINORS FOR MORE SEASONING.

Right Milwaukee, my bad.

g4104.png

tradition for the Nats, Pirates and up until last year Brewers and Rays: Completing the season sans post season.

Wouldn't this also include the Royals, Orioles, Mariners, and Padres?

I'll even throw in the Rangers too. sadly i remember a few years back when the Orioles, Mariners, Rangers and Padres were playoff teams

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Braves:

- 7th-inning stretch has the usual "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" song, but also John Denver's "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" afterwards.

- Coke bottle that shoots fireworks after each homerun/win.

- Lousy in-game contests, such as trivia games done through cellphones.

Rays:

- A horn that sounds after each homerun or game-winning run.

Point #2: Yes, the Buckeys are so popular, Youngstown State moved up a basketball game to accomodate the '08 National Championship Game

Point #3: Yes, Friday Fireworks, Saturday Giveaways, and Sunday Kids Day (I think the latter two aren't flip flopped)

Point #5: I sat in the bleachers this year. That area of the park is just really fun.

And, the whole Souvenir City thing (I think) started with the Indians in '07, NOT ESPN.

They give away money to the winning section? Really? I did not know that. Makes me want to go make SURE I get into one of the three sections in the race sometime, lol. I think the sections involved are just decided at random that day, though, right?

Oh, yeah, I forgot about them sending the drummer to Milwaukee. That was when Cleveland got buried under a ton of snow and it was going to cancel like, the first six home games of the year, so they moved a three-game series to Milwaukee to play some "home" games there. I do remember that now, they kept showing him in the stands and I remember thinking how weird it was seeing him anyplace other than at the top of the bleachers in Cleveland, lol.

I've sat in the bleachers before, and they are good seats, but I didn't like being in the bleachers themselves just because the huge scoreboard would be right behind me and I'd rather look up at the huge scoreboard than one of the smaller ones around the park. And the scoreboard in Cleveland is something to behold if you haven't been to a baseball game in a few years, the thing is awesome.

I can't believe no one has mentioned this tradition for the Chicago Cubs.

The only team to play the majority of their home games during the day. Regularly scheduled day baseball the way it used to be.

I can't believe no one has mentioned this tradition for the Chicago Cubs....

Losing.

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

I can't believe no one has mentioned this tradition for the Chicago Cubs....

Losing.

Cubs: Ending the season sans World Series championship.
^_^
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The Braves' newest tradition, the tomahawk-chopping Chick-fil-A cow.

340x.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZS6P3pQ6vs

"DU the chop?" Seriously? I swear, Chick-fil-A is not helping people in this country NOT be stupid idiots with these ridiculous misspellings in their advertising that is supposed to be funny. It's not funny, it's just annoying. Now some dumb little kid is gonna go grab a picture of the Chick-fil-A cow and claim that you really do spell chicken "chikin" because the damn cow says you spell it like that. Now we're mangling the word "do." Great.

That is by far THE creepiest-looking cow I've ever seen before, and good news, everybody, it's 25 feet tall! That thing is an eyesore, I'm sorry. And it is just as tall as their giant Coke bottle, so I mean, this thing is gonna be in your line of vision at that park, like, constantly. Do the fans in Atlanta like that thing? Oh, I'm sorry, I mean, "DU the fans in Atlanta like that thing?"

The Braves' newest tradition, the tomahawk-chopping Chick-fil-A cow.

340x.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZS6P3pQ6vs

"DU the chop?" Seriously? I swear, Chick-fil-A is not helping people in this country NOT be stupid idiots with these ridiculous misspellings in their advertising that is supposed to be funny. It's not funny, it's just annoying. Now some dumb little kid is gonna go grab a picture of the Chick-fil-A cow and claim that you really do spell chicken "chikin" because the damn cow says you spell it like that. Now we're mangling the word "do." Great.

That is by far THE creepiest-looking cow I've ever seen before, and good news, everybody, it's 25 feet tall! That thing is an eyesore, I'm sorry. And it is just as tall as their giant Coke bottle, so I mean, this thing is gonna be in your line of vision at that park, like, constantly. Do the fans in Atlanta like that thing? Oh, I'm sorry, I mean, "DU the fans in Atlanta like that thing?"

I take it you despise LOLCATS then.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I swear, Chick-fil-A is not helping people in this country NOT be stupid idiots with these ridiculous misspellings in their advertising that is supposed to be funny.

Yeah, they're already making you employ cumbersome double negatives, redundancies, and incorrect subject-verb agreement!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

They give away money to the winning section? Really? I did not know that. Makes me want to go make SURE I get into one of the three sections in the race sometime, lol. I think the sections involved are just decided at random that day, though, right?

Oh, yeah, I forgot about them sending the drummer to Milwaukee. That was when Cleveland got buried under a ton of snow and it was going to cancel like, the first six home games of the year, so they moved a three-game series to Milwaukee to play some "home" games there. I do remember that now, they kept showing him in the stands and I remember thinking how weird it was seeing him anyplace other than at the top of the bleachers in Cleveland, lol.

I've sat in the bleachers before, and they are good seats, but I didn't like being in the bleachers themselves just because the huge scoreboard would be right behind me and I'd rather look up at the huge scoreboard than one of the smaller ones around the park. And the scoreboard in Cleveland is something to behold if you haven't been to a baseball game in a few years, the thing is awesome.

My bad, the money thing is the ad $ the Tribe get from Sugardale. I love that scoreboard at the Jake, well I love that park. Good memories.

6fQjS3M.png

Archived