Domestic Soccer 2009-10

BrySmalls

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So here are the victims left in the wake of Real Salt Lake's miracle run to the 2009 MLS Cup:

-#1 seed in the East, Supporter's Shield-winners Columbus Crew

-#2 seed in the East Chicago Fire

-#1 seed in the West LA Galaxy that housed the MVP (Landon Donovan) & Coach of the Year (Bruce Arena)

The fact that RSL made it to the MLS Cup to begin with was an upset in itself. For them to actually have won it is unreal. HUGE props to RSL, and congrats to them beating the Jazz to Utah's first major pro sports title. :P

So here are the victims left in the wake of Real Salt Lake's miracle run to the 2009 MLS Cup:

-#1 seed in the West LA Galaxy that housed the MVP (Landon Donovan) & Coach of the Year (Bruce Arena)

The fact that RSL made it to the MLS Cup to begin with was an upset in itself. For them to actually have won it is unreal. HUGE props to RSL, and congrats to them beating the Jazz to Utah's first major pro sports title. :P

I know it has major in its name, but is MLS really a major sport league? I've always thought of the major pro leagues being MLB, NFL, NHL, and NBA.

Anyway, fun game. I know most soccer fans hate PK's, but they're just so tense I can't help but love them. Congrats to Salt Lake on their MLS Cup title

Congratulations to God's Kingdom.

Now please change the name to something....appropriate for a Republic.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I know it has major in its name, but is MLS really a major sport league? I've always thought of the major pro leagues being MLB, NFL, NHL, and NBA.

Anyway, fun game. I know most soccer fans hate PK's, but they're just so tense I can't help but love them. Congrats to Salt Lake on their MLS Cup title

Funny that you mention the word "Major" as the only other league that has that word in its title is baseball. :P

Yes, MLS is a major league sport, even if it does not get the recognition it deserves by the media or public. MLS is the top flight soccer (football) league in the US and Canada and when the first season kicked off in 1996, the consensus at the time was that it wasn't going to last that long. However, MLS is evolving into a stable league as it contiues to grow in key markets (well most of them) with soccer specific stadiums, endorsement deals, becoming more competitive in international competitions, promoting domestic stars, television deals, etc.

Basically, it's a major league because...well...because you like it? :P

I think it's a "mid-major" professional league, but that's great for them, honestly. It has only been around since 1993 and it really has gained a solid national footprint...and the advent of the soccer specific stadiums is huge. However (as silly as this sounds), if your championship is not on Network TV, you're not a major league in America.

-------------------------------------------------------

I hated that it had to come down to PKs, but after 120+ minutes, there were just so many guys on dead legs out there.

I could only laugh when Landycakes sailed his attempt like 5 feet above the bar. All his whining and bitching over the years hasn't exactly endeared him to casual fans like me, though his skill is unbelievable. So to see him have to eat it like that kind of pleased me a bit. You could see the shock and disappointment on his face. It was GREAT...almost as good as Belichick's 4th-and-2.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Basically, it's a major league because...well...because you like it? :P

I think it's a "mid-major" professional league, but that's great for them, honestly. It has only been around since 1993 and it really has gained a solid national footprint...and the advent of the soccer specific stadiums is huge. However (as silly as this sounds), if your championship is not on Network TV, you're not a major league in America.

-------------------------------------------------------

For the first thirteen years, MLS Cup was nationally televised on ABC.

Well, during the trophy presentation ceremony the ESPN announcers themselves called it Utah's first major pro sports championship. So, evidently ESPN has endorsed the idea of MLS as a major league, which means general acceptance of it as such by The Great UnwashedTM can't be too far behind. (See also the idea of poker as a sport, period.)

Now, if only the National Lacrosse League could somehow get that seal of approval... :hockeysmiley:

CCSLC signature.png

Archived