Traditional Spring Training sites?

spyboy1

Do many MLB teams have a traditional, long term Spring Training site in their current or past history?

I'm familiar with the Dodgers long time home of "Dodgertown" in Vero Beach, FL and the Minnesota Twins used to train at Tinker Field in Orlando for years.

Are there any other teams that have been associated with a long time Spring Training home, even if it was a long time ago like the Cubs on Catalina Island from the 20's to the 50's?

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Phillies have been in Clearwater since 1947, so if my math is right, that's 62 years.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Red Sox have been in Lee County, FL since 1993 and are due to be there until at least 2019.

I'm not sure that 16 years would qualify as "traditional" - but I'm not the judge.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

- Jays have been in Dunedin, FL at Dunedin Stadium since their inception in 1977, stadium was renovated in 1990.

dunedin4.jpg

dunedin.jpg

- Pirates have been in Bradenton at McKechnie Field since 1969, probably the last classic ST site, was renovated in 1993.

MckechnieFieldBradenton.jpg

mckechniefield.jpg

- Tigers have been in Lakeland at Marchant Stadium since 1966, stadium was renovated in 2003.

800px-JokerMarchantStadiumLakelandFL.jpg

800px-JokerMarchantStadium2009.jpg

Phillies have been in Clearwater since 1947, so if my math is right, that's 62 years.

Your are correct, but they are entering they are entering their 6th season at Bright House Field. Prior to 04 they trained at the more-traditional Jack Russell Stadium.

Your are correct, but they are entering they are entering their 6th season at Bright House Field. Prior to 04 they trained at the more-traditional Jack Russell Stadium.

True - I was thinking more the town vs. the facility. However, from what I've read (you'd probably know better) their main training site is still the Carpenter Complex (where Jack Russel Stadium is)... so it kind of qualifies.

True - I was thinking more the town vs. the facility. However, from what I've read (you'd probably know better) their main training site is still the Carpenter Complex (where Jack Russel Stadium is)... so it kind of qualifies.

Actually, the new stadium is now next door to the Carpenter Complex. Jack Russell Stadium is closer to downtown Clearwater, about 4 miles west.

The Red Sox have been in Lee County, FL since 1993 and are due to be there until at least 2019.

I'm not sure that 16 years would qualify as "traditional" - but I'm not the judge.

I guess when the person giving the answer is 16, it seems that way. :rolleyes:

Hohokam Park? Gonna hafta google that one...

Good answers guys. Keep 'em coming.

I suppose I should let you know what I'm up to. I'm looking to create a shirt design as if they had merchandising "back in the day" at the level they do now. I'm looking to pick various teams and create a Spring Training design with a classic logo and combine it with a championship year of the past in a traditional spring training location.

And it goes something like this...

TwinsSpringTraining.jpg

So, I'm especially interested in stuff like where the Yankees and Brooklyn Dodgers would have trained in the 20's through the 50's. I would imagine that some of the oldest teams would have had some very historical, traditional locations in their history.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

I guess when the person giving the answer is 16, it seems that way. :rolleyes:

Hohokam Park? Gonna hafta google that one...

Good answers guys. Keep 'em coming.

I suppose I should let you know what I'm up to. I'm looking to create a shirt design as if they had merchandising "back in the day" at the level they do now. I'm looking to pick various teams and create a Spring Training design with a classic logo and combine it with a championship year of the past in a traditional spring training location.

And it goes something like this...

TwinsSpringTraining.jpg

So, I'm especially interested in stuff like where the Yankees and Brooklyn Dodgers would have trained in the 20's through the 50's. I would imagine that some of the oldest teams would have had some very historical, traditional locations in their history.

Who's 16?

Can't believe no one has mentioned Tiger Town and Joker Marchant Stadium in Lakeland. It's been the home of the Detroit Tigers since 1966. The Tigers have been holding spring training in Lakeland since 1934.

There's a reason you shouldn't belive nobody mentioned it. Somebody did! AstroBull did, along with pics.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

The Brooklyn Dodgers trained at Clearwater Athletic Field from 1923-1932 and 1936-1941.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clearwater_Athletic_Field

Hi Corbett Field was the home of the Indians forever, and is the now the home of the Rockies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hi_Corbett_Field

The Pirates have played at McKechnie Field since 1969.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McKechnie_Field

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Can't believe no one has mentioned Tiger Town and Joker Marchant Stadium in Lakeland. It's been the home of the Detroit Tigers since 1966. The Tigers have been holding spring training in Lakeland since 1934.

There's a reason you shouldn't belive nobody mentioned it. Somebody did! AstroBull did, along with pics.

Totally missed it the first time around. Saw it immediately when I came back to the thread just now. I believe the technical term for it is "I had my head up my ass."

BB52Big.jpg

Archived