Detroit Lions

Krona

Hey Everybody,

Been sometime since i trew a football concept up, but i crawled out from under a bunch of work and was inspired by the lions new logo, which i love(kinda). I tweaked the logo a bit (took out some waves in the mane), and created a new "throwback" inspired look. hope you like:

Detroit-Lions-Uni-Web2.png

Its a really clean concept and it looks good but there's one reason it wouldn't fly and that's because the home is too much like the Colts.

No, it doesn't.

I like this concept. Updated throwback much like the Giants and Jets. Very nice.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I may be in the minority here, but I'm not a big fan of "throwback inspired" updates, especially for the Lions. Only using blue and silver on the home make the jersey look...well...boring. The use of only two colors works for the Raiders (something I don't understand, but agree with), but not really for anyone else IMO. I'm not saying throw in a bunch of random piping, just throw some white in there to get away from that dingy, "it came out of the dryer this way" look. Possibly even some black...I know, I know...but it's not like it was killing the uni's at all. It helped the numbers stick out a bit more from far distance on both the home and away, so I don't know what the problem is as long as it's used as an accent color and not as a forced third choice for a jersey.

On the road uni, I have the same problem. It just looks...plain...and cheap. When my old middle school was required to have a home and away uniform for football (four of the six teams in the league we played in wore blue, including us, and before we we were required to change, we only had blue home jerseys), they went with the same look because it was the cheapest. I don't want to be reminded of my old, cheap middle school when I'm watching (what is supposed to be) pro football. To change that I would, again, add a second color...In this case, silver.

Pants...Pants aren't bad. I think they could get by without any other colors, but if you were add anything to the jerseys they'd look out of place...hmmm. You could throw some white between the blue stripes, but it'll depend on what you'd change on the jerseys (if anything). Socks are the same way, but since you're only using one pant for both home and away, you probably only need one pair and I'd go with the blues.

The helmet...is in the same boat as the pants and socks. I think that the logo on the helmet would get lost from distance without an outline around it because the blue and silver don't contrast enough. It'd just look like some weird blob thing from far away.

...These are just my opinions as a looong time Lions fan though. I wouldn't be all that upset if they wore these on Thanksgiving day or any other "throwback" occasion, but not full time.

I'm with you. I also don't think that retro looks work well for teams that play in modern domes.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Wonder how long it is before the NFL makes them touch it up? I know it's suppose to be the Lion's torso, but it looks like he's sporting something else.

Remember, the official version has an outline / border, so it doesn't look like the lion has a huge wang.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Love it. That's almost exactly how I'd like them to look.

But I'd like a silver trim to the white jersey's numbers. Their colors are (honolulu) blue and silver, so white isn't necessary on the home jerseys, but adding silver to the white ones completes it, and makes it more distinguishable from other white & blue jerseys (Colts, Giants, college teams).

• 4 years later...

This is the best I've seen. The Lions had no business adding black, or even white for that matter, to uniquely perfect uniforms. I love the throwback look a lot of teams, I.e., NYG, NYJ, SF, have gone back to, and the Lions should join the club. Their current set (especially with a thin curvy number font) does little for me as a Lions fan. Throwback should definitely be the standard in the Black & Blue Division.

This is the best I've seen. The Lions had no business adding black, or even white for that matter, to uniquely perfect uniforms. I love the throwback look a lot of teams, I.e., NYG, NYJ, SF, have gone back to, and the Lions should join the club. Their current set (especially with a thin curvy number font) does little for me as a Lions fan. Throwback should definitely be the standard in the Black & Blue Division.

I can actually live with the white they currently use, but the black, not so much. If memory serves me right and I'm thinking of the right team, I remember the black monstrosity of an alternate they wore I think only once. It was beyond awful.

Archived