NHL 2009 Super Special Playoff Edition Megathread

Lee.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe they can get Cammi Granato to be the next coach. Couldn't do any worse than her brother.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I wonder how much longer Tony Granato even bothers staying in Denver....he was their head coach, then got fired and/or relegated to assistant head coach when they brought in Quinnville, then became head coach again, and now the Avs allegedly offer the head coaching position to someone else while he's still under contract.

Pittsburgh is one game closer to avenging 2008. Were on a collision course to seeing the first Finals rematch since Isles/Oilers 1984!

-Dan

But the Blackhawks weren't in the finals last year....... :P

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

I don't get why it's always basketball vs. hockey. Who cares; Bill Simmons is a terrible writer.

edit: the thrust of his argument is that learning to care about animal rights and gay marriage made us too sophisticated to appreciate hockey until message boards and Gossip Girl brought us back into the muck? This guy's such a hack. And what inspired Bill to write this? Surprise! A Boston team lost an important game!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I've never got why it's a basketball vs. hockey thing, either. Maybe it's that the season are simultaneous. Maybe it's that basketball is dominated by Black folks whereas hockey is dominated by Caucasian folks.

Hockey fans seem to have an inferiority complex, so they are always comparing hockey to basketball and trumpeting it over basketball. It's foolish, but I've never seen more of it that I do here in the CCSLC. It's the main reason I don't like the majority of hockey fans, which I affectionately call "puckheads." They spend as much time, if not more, hating on basketball as they do slobbering hockey. You don't really see basketball fans doing that. Probably because it's not necessary. Probably because there is no reason to stoop to that level.

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I've never got why it's a basketball vs. hockey thing, either. Maybe it's that the season are simultaneous. Maybe it's that basketball is dominated by Black folks whereas hockey is dominated by Caucasian folks.

Hockey fans seem to have an inferiority complex, so they are always comparing hockey to basketball and trumpeting it over basketball. It's foolish, but I've never seen more of it that I do here in the CCSLC. It's the main reason I don't like the majority of hockey fans, which I affectionately call "puckheads." They spend as much time, if not more, hating on basketball as they do slobbering hockey. You don't really see basketball fans doing that. Probably because it's not necessary. Probably because there is no reason to stoop to that level.

There will always be bickering about the pros/cons of sports entertainment and you simply can't please everyone.

Of course you don't see basketball fans doing that.... they probably don't know what hockey is. ^_^

I saw, I came, I left.

Of course you don't see basketball fans doing that.... they probably don't know what hockey is. ^_^

Pretty much. There is no opinion about hockey from hoopheads because they really don't give two :censored: s about hockey.

IMNSFHO, it all relates to Canadians as a whole having so little of their own national identity, that we latch onto hockey as the one thing that sets us apart from the Americans and try to pump it up at the expense of everything else that we can think of.

Of course, this just adds to the stereotype, so we're really not doing ourselves any favors.

This does not necessarily apply to American hockey fans, unless they are Canadian ex-pats.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

It's really silly, because I don't think the differences are really that big, or in most, cases, there at all. The back-and-forth between these factions can be so silly. No, hockey fans don't celebrate wins with cross-burnings and Kristallnacht re-enactments, and no, NBA games aren't gang conventions. Compare the crowds at your nearest dual-purpose arena. Demographically, they're pretty much identical.

Back to the Simmons piece. The gripe I have with that is that it conflates appreciating hockey with widespread unsavory behavior, and that there's an inverse relationship between enjoying the sport and not being a careless bigoted slob. While this is already intrinsically boneheaded to the point of offensiveness, he makes it worse by getting his bad point wrong. If, in fact, the political correctness and sensitivity of the 1990s were anathema to the NHL's popularity, why was the NHL mildly popular well into the middle of the decade, a good five to eight years after political correctness started being a "thing"? Clumsy belabored diction and mollycoddled children were on the rise well before Clinton took office, after all. And if he's postulating that our Gossip Girl and UFC-fueled slide into troglodytic filth are making conditions favorable for the NHL again, he's wrong again: our culture is only getting more and more tolerant, and still, nobody cares about hockey.

Myself, i dont hate basketball, i prefer the ncaa variety as opposed to the nba. i think puckheads do have an inferiority complex towards the nba and it stems from the treatment that espn gives hockey and the fact that the seasons intertwine, yet being the "worldwide leader in SPORTS" they cant seem to give equal footing to the sports. i know the argument, they show what gives them ratings, but dont you think if they broaden their horizons and show actual hockey highlights they might broaden their audience? i think we have an equally exciting product as the nba, but espn fails to give us proof of that because they just flat out ignore "the hockey".

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

So anyway, that's pretty much it right there for the Hawks, isn't it?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Found this to be kinda interesting while lurking on hfboards (as usual...I really need to register over there. :P)

Despite the impression of increased parity due to the salary cap, I found the following rather intriguing:

In a league where 16 of the 30 teams make the playoffs, only 1 of the top 12 teams in salary did not make the playoffs (#8 Dallas), and only 1 of the bottom 9 teams did (#22 Carolina).

The 16 playoff teams ranked 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12, 14, 18, 19, 21, 22.

Myself, i dont hate basketball, i prefer the ncaa variety as opposed to the nba. i think puckheads do have an inferiority complex towards the nba and it stems from the treatment that espn gives hockey and the fact that the seasons intertwine, yet being the "worldwide leader in SPORTS" they cant seem to give equal footing to the sports. i know the argument, they show what gives them ratings, but dont you think if they broaden their horizons and show actual hockey highlights they might broaden their audience? i think we have an equally exciting product as the nba, but espn fails to give us proof of that because they just flat out ignore "the hockey".

YOU think "you" have as interesting of a product as the NBA, but the powers that be in both the sports and television industries don't share that opinion. It's not ESPN's responsibility to make the NHL interesting to the masses. Be more interesting, then they'll show you off. Television coverage is a privilege, not a right. "You" don't get to be on TV just because you're a professional league. TV networks are not in the broadening horizons business (if that's what you want, put the NHL on PBS or Discovery), they are in the possibly provide viewers a modicum of entertainment while making money business.

i dont hate basketball, i prefer the ncaa variety as opposed to the nba.

Why? NCAA basketball isn't good. I'll never get this. Having a pep band in the background doesn't make it any more fun to watch stiffs miss shots.

Found this to be kinda interesting while lurking on hfboards (as usual...I really need to register over there. :P)
Despite the impression of increased parity due to the salary cap, I found the following rather intriguing:

In a league where 16 of the 30 teams make the playoffs, only 1 of the top 12 teams in salary did not make the playoffs (#8 Dallas), and only 1 of the bottom 9 teams did (#22 Carolina).

The 16 playoff teams ranked 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12, 14, 18, 19, 21, 22.

That the Red Wings will keep rolling along for years to come has always been enough proof for me that the salary cap is a failure, but hey, this ain't bad either.

I used to enjoy the NCAA more but with so many players leaving early I began to lose interest. I was a big NBA fan during the NHL lockout. But now, honestly, the NBA has fallen to 5th on my radar.

For me its:

1. NHL

2. NCAAF

3. MLB

4. NFL

5. NBA

-Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Archived