Oilers third becomes home next year, navy becomes third

oakland ehs

And while we're on the topic of third jerseys, does anyone miss these? I do, but I'm not a Rangers fan, so I don't have as much of an interest.

325.jpg

Love it. Own it. Want to see it back on the ice. Hopefully, that free jersey they were giving away during a blood drive early this month is a sign of what's to come.

They ought to just take the throwback and re-do the colours. Soften the orange and slightly darken the blue and you have a winner.

Something along the lines of... this, perhaps?

Oilers7.gif

I actually like the old royal blue and orange, but I can understand why many view the navy, copper, and red as superior. Personally, I just want that damn oil rigger logo back on the shoulders. That thing owns.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

If the Oilers really wanted to relive the glory days, they'd actually sign some talent and for once attempt to bring the Cup home to Edmonton. <_<

And yes, the 1996-97 white units MUST return!

6uXNWAo.png

Oilers7.gif

I actually like the old royal blue and orange, but I can understand why many view the navy, copper, and red as superior. Personally, I just want that damn oil rigger logo back on the shoulders. That thing owns.

I'm partial to this look, mainly because I have a Hamilton Bulldogs away (blue) jersey with this colour and stripe scheme and it was the best looking jersey, outside of their St. Patricks Day special, they've had in franchise history.

tigercatssignature-1.png

325.jpg

I've always wished the Rangers would have switched to the lady liberty logo as their primary. The Rangers name diagonally has looked too minor league for my tastes, and has led to too many copycats who are too lazy to come up with a real decent uniform design..

tigercatssignature-1.png

It's interesting that both the Islanders and Oilers already had outstanding updates of a vintage look.

Then EDGE rolled around (and I'm not anti-EDGE at all), they both introduced new looks (the Oilers being stupid and awful and the Isles being different and just not quite right).

And now, rather than going back to the excellent updates of the vintage looks that they already had, they're gonna pull out the actual vintage looks, neither very good looking as they had no idea how to balance bright orange and bright blue when they were designed.

I hope both teams will actually take the chance to just update the old looks, but I feel like that's already been done and now we're gonna go full blown vintage.

Icecap79 said:
Sodboy13 said:

Best Oilers uniforms ever.

Agree. It's a great example of an update that is far from overhaul making a monster improvement. They need to bring these back.

Of all NHL teams, this is the most aggravating switch to the form fitting jerseys to me. It's the one that I don't think any reasonable person could say "yeah, these are better." Sure most of us hated the Islanders, but someone could argue that orange sleeves are an improvement. I would be stunned to hear anyone say that the switch to these practice-looking jerseys is a positive.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

And while we're on the topic of third jerseys, does anyone miss these? I do, but I'm not a Rangers fan, so I don't have as much of an interest.

325.jpg

I never liked those jerseys, and i never will. The Rangers have, maybe, the best home and road set in the NHL (i personally like the Blackhawks, but the Rangers set is right up there).

No need (other than straight cash, homie) to wear those jerseys. Ever.

That navy and silver trim monstrosity is awful. The Rangers tried the shield on the jersey once, and it was awful. This is just the same as that, awful.

The Rangers should never be in navy, and where the hell did silver come from? I never understood the love for this jersey.

/rant

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

The oil crest needs no modernization or updating. No gears, worker man, hideously-stupid robodrip, or any other iconography is needed. Just the oil drop and the insanely cool oiled-letter font.

Gah. Let's let franchises enjoy their old logos without the incessant need to "fierce" it up. 5 stanley cups and the greatest hockey player of all time : that's enough reason to never change that logo.

This is starting to become a trend. A team unveils an alternate jersey and the next season it becomes the primary. I hate when the teams dont have matching home/away jerseys.

I agree fully with you about the non-matching unis. Since I follow the Pens, I notice they usually make the thirds the primaries. They've done this with the triangle Penguin black jersey and also the first incarnate of the Vegas Gold skating Penguin. Hopefully the boner for powder blue will be over by the time they move into the new arena because I don't want powder blue to become the new set. I still have my fingers crossed for true Pittsburgh Black and (Yellow) gold's return.

KISSwall09.jpg

Well, that's interesting, but I do think the modernized colour scheme is a bit better than the old school 80's one. However, I'd take the retro jerseys over the practice jersey's they've been wearing since Edge came out.

I find both the Flyers and Oilers 3rd jerseys far too bright to be used as a primary. Does anyone else agree? They are both sharp jerseys in limited doses. But the orange makes them far too flamboyant to be used as a primary IMO.

The Flyers throwbacks are a joke. That orange is just ridiculous, and the white nameplate is even worse. They look like pylons.

Drop the oil worker from the shoulders

You, sir. Outside. Now.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

325.jpg

I love that logo and would love for them to bring it back, but if they do, it should be on a royal blue jersey.

Archived