Oilers third becomes home next year, navy becomes third

oakland ehs

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/2010...1842/story.html

Says the Oil are wearing the retro 27 times at home next season, and the navy 14 times.

Personally, I'm not sure how much I like the change. Clearly, when the 3 year 'keep your jerseys the same' deal ends, the Oil will be re-working the home and away.

I still love the copper and navy, and would prefer to keep that the home and away set with the retro as a third, but the design they currently have sucks - the fans know it, and they know it.

Even if they took the current style, and made a few modifications (arm stripe all the way around, copper trim at the bottom of the jersey, remove the piping) then it would look fantastic. I just hope it doesn't spell the end of the darker colors.

I guess this is what Philly is doing too?? (and maybe the Islanders?) I don't like this because you now have mismatched home/away unis. We throwback for home, modern for away and alternate. Doesn't make sense to me. If these teams want retro, go back to it home/away and add a third color alt.

KISSwall09.jpg

Neither jersey is very good. The throwback is outdated and the current home is just plain ugly. I imagine they'll just put together a "modern" take on the old blue and orange look as soon as they're able.

I think you maybe alone on your dislike of the Oilers vintage alt.

-Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

I'm not a fan of it either, really. It's alright, but I find the set that was pre-Edge to be outstanding.

Mind you, I'd also want to replace the current crest with something built around the gear from the shoulder patch on the old navy/silver thirds.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Count me as another liking neither jersey. The throwbacks look terribly outdated and the current ones have obvious flaws. Something close to their pre-edge jerseys is what I'm hoping for when they make the full change, but I'd expect the next re-design to be a slightly modernized version of the current 3rd.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I find both the Flyers and Oilers 3rd jerseys far too bright to be used as a primary. Does anyone else agree? They are both sharp jerseys in limited doses. But the orange makes them far too flamboyant to be used as a primary IMO.

Juventus.png

I Can't say I'm all that shocked at this. The Oilers new(ish) Owner Darryl Katz also owns the Rexall Group of Companies, whos colours are...Yup..Retro Oiler Orange and Blue. Story is he used to hang out with the Glory Era Oilers back in the day ( when he was only a millionaire and not a bazillionaire) Alot of the merchandise this year was Blue and Orange also. I can see a situation wherein they phase out the Copper and bring back the Orange, but i hope they go with a different Jersey set. All fine and good to remember your history, but move on and forge your own identity!

Personally, I thought it would have been really ballsy if they had abandoned both copper AND orange and went with Silver and Blue! Would have been Unique colour set to the NHL, and a nice cool contrast to the warm colours of the rival Calgary Flames.

I wonder how many other teams will ditch their wacky Edge designs in exchange for traditional style jerseys next season?

This is starting to become a trend. A team unveils an alternate jersey and the next season it becomes the primary. I hate when the teams dont have matching home/away jerseys. The Oilers need a complete uniform redesign (not the logo, just the jersey) and they need to keep the retro jersey as an alternate or unveil a white version and wear them full time.

beLEAF

This is starting to become a trend. A team unveils an alternate jersey and the next season it becomes the primary. I hate when the teams dont have matching home/away jerseys. The Oilers need a complete uniform redesign (not the logo, just the jersey) and they need to keep the retro jersey as an alternate or unveil a white version and wear them full time.

I agree, but do those teams have permission to fully rebrand yet? Right now, the league is beginning to realize how certain jerseys are indeed the monstrocities they always were. No need for them to sugar-coat anything anymore. This looks like just another cash grab to me. They know the 3rds sell, they want them to sell even more, and more, and more. ^_^

What I don't understand is people talking about how one team goes back retro and it's boring, yet why aren't you screaming that the Rangers, Maple Leafs, Bruins, and Canadians are boring? Just asking. As far as the current navy, red, and copper, I suspect soon it'll be a thing of the past and never see the light of day. There's nothing wrong with the color combo, it's just the stigma that goes with it, a bunch of talented teams that tanked year after year. They haven't done much in the current colors, so why keep them? Go back to the colors you won in, maybe there's still some magic in them, because whatever they did, the current colors are cursed.

Hmm--it all started with those damn Montreal Canadiens and their mismatched uniforms! If NHLUniforms.com is correct, the Habs switched from matching Home/Aways to these mismatched monstrosities way back in 1947... [Editor's note: I'm a Bruins fan]

1946-47

Canadiens6.gif

1947-48

Canadiens7.gif

I actually don't mind it when teams have different designs for their home and away jerseys. It makes life more interesting.

And while we're on the topic of third jerseys, does anyone miss these? I do, but I'm not a Rangers fan, so I don't have as much of an interest.

325.jpg

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

I guess this is what Philly is doing too?? (and maybe the Islanders?) I don't like this because you now have mismatched home/away unis. We throwback for home, modern for away and alternate. Doesn't make sense to me. If these teams want retro, go back to it home/away and add a third color alt.

The last I heard was that the Islanders won't be making a change for next season, but their throwback alternates will likely be their primaries in 2010-11. No source, though, since I don't remember if I heard it on tv or read it somewhere...so I could be wrong.

Archived