Cougars - Nehl Redesign Project

paynomind

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For what it's worth, given that cat ears (as well as dog ears) could pretty much be in the "up" position for listening or back for aggression........I'd say Nitros qualifies as back. Maybe not way back 100% but they definitely aren't up and I think it gets the point across.

I know what you were saying WW, but given the options I think this works pretty well.

Also, someone else mentioned the whiskers. Cats whiskers do many things but one of their primary functions is as kind of advanced scout for the rest of the creature. Whiskers extend wide enough so that anything the whiskers fit through, the entire cat can fit through.....which is why a cat can haul ass through underbrush or whatever and know the whole time based on the whiskers sensitivity what he is doing... even in the dark. Pretty neat.

I digress, I think the whiskers are ok long, and should technically be the widest thing on the head. If they are anything it's maybe a little thick......but you can't get too thin or they'll disappear.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

Nitro: Love the logo, and the wordmark is nice. I'd probably make it a little smaller than it currently is (when used with the head), and maybe a shallower arc.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

WOW!!! this thread is so young and there are already 2 great submissions...

nitro great logo.. (as always ;) ) the only thing that looks a bit confusing on your logo are the whiskers imo.. They give the cat a "punk" look.. cause you know a lot of those punks were these dog chains around the neck.. kinda reminds me of that

artvandelay: I love the first wordmark! is there a logo to go with?

I'll try to submit something as well if I've got a good idea..

Nitro, I completely skipped over your text treatment......which is pretty wicked too.

THis one is off and running. I better get something going or I'll be in a strictly advisory capacity in no time.

great stuff.

We are ALREADY at a faze, roughly 6.3 times better than anything they have, and it's still early.

I'll be curious to see where the secondarys head......will it be a play on the CC or who knows?............

Wow, holy wordmark overload.

Nitro, whaddya mean ahead? looks like you are behind, brother! I like yours. The legibility is a little low, but I like the overall look. Very clean cooring without too much decoration or needless outlining. You'll have to teach me how to do the arc in Illustrator. ;)

I was having to hurry mine due to leaving work, so I didn't get connecticut put on it, but i like mine. the roundness and tie-in with the wiskers I think is cool.

Art, there is somehtign very comfortable about yoru wordmarks, but maybe comfortable = dull. The color you used is too teal, and the boxy lettering is too much like every-other-wordmark ever, plus the fake-y white internal shadowing. We need to give this some more personality, i think. But what I think may not hold any water ;) after all, no one said a damn thing about my wordmark! :D

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

I know this is one of my first posts and maybe I shouldn't be already critiquing someone's work BUT I think the ears look slightly like horns. It seems if you kept the curve on the bottom of the ear and then went at a little more straight shot at the stop it would eliminate a horn look. OR would my suggestion make the ears look as if they weren't tilted backwards? Oh well, just wondering if anyone saw the same- it looks awesome though overall.

Already way ahead of you on the wordmark. ;)

cougar-full.gif

Still have some tweaks to make, but it's progressing.

Personally I've found there's not much that can be done with a Cougar/Panther/Puma/Mountain Lion concept that hasn't been done before. Between the NHL Panthers (leaping head on), NFL Jags and Panthers (angle view head/full body), there's not much that can be done that hasn't been done already, except perhaps a profile view (kind of like the BC Lions, except their's is so bad it's not funny)... and profiles are great for football, not so much for hockey.

Great job Nitro... like the FLA Panthers' head, but better...

Shiz, the artwork is outstanding! Unfortunately your guy looks like Nitro's cougar except sleepier...

Somebody might try a profile view... although it's an uphill battle against Nitro and shiz's stuff.

Good work boys!

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

SyPhi...

You know, it's funny you should mention the CFL's British Columbia Lions. I was just thinking that if nothing comes of these NEHL submissions, nitroseed could approach the Lions with this "cougar" head. It could certainly pass for a mountain lion/catamount/puma... and as you've said, the B.C. Lions could DESPERATELY use some help with their identity package.

What do you think, nitro? Could you "tweak" the coloring on this bad-boy? Say, a palette of Black/Orange/Silver/White? I'm actually trying to picture this logo in Black, Orange and White on a Silver helmet (Black replacing Blue, Orange replacing Gray).

I'd love to see this logo rendered with Black for Blue, Orange for Gray... except for Gray outline, which would stay Silver-Grey.

However, I digress.

Brian in Boston

Was going to sit back and let Nitro's entry rule the roost. But since there was a request for a profile. I decided to whip up this quick study. If you think it has potential I'll play with it otherwise I may just tweak it for the Ice Cats, without the "C" shape of course. Digging those wordmarks. Sharp work guys.

Cougars1.gif

[edit: ok it's not exactly a profile, I'll call it a side view. And by the look at the comments, I guess ther is potential. Thanks]

Most excellent work "Graphic Warriors"; rodzilla74, SyPhi, & shiznit ! :notworthy:

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Ro, if you clean up whatever is going on within the mouth that is hard to read........(you could almost fill it entirely black) this would be one of the sickest things I've ever seen.

Good God.

:notworthy:

Hey, 'zilla, that's pretty cool! When I said profile, I meant a little more strictly profile, almost Bobcats-like (except with more detail, and overall higher quality), but this is definitely cool!

I'd lift the head a little, he looks like his gaze is directed slightly downward... I'd level that... other than that, perhaps emphasize the C a little? Great work.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Archived