Bob Johnson trying to sell the Charlotte Bobcats

Jamikel

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully the new owners will do a full rebrand - including a name change.

Bobcats is too junior high sounding.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

And too redundant in an unimaginative way. I can't get over that the owner has the team named after himself. Bob's cats?

And too redundant in an unimaginative way. I can't get over that the owner has the team named after himself. Bob's cats?

I know that's never been officially confirmed, but that's GOT to be the case. It's a silly name to begin with, but if true, Bobcats would be the all-time worst name in sports history.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Bring back the Charlotte Krunk.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I still don't understand why Bobcats (owner name notwithstanding) is such a "junior high" name, nor why their look is considered to be horrible.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Maybe he can sell it to Michael Jordan and become the Charlotte Air

:lol:

Does MJ have the knowledge of how to run a basketball franchise? His track record as Director of Basketball Operations with the Wizards was spotty at best.

Maybe he can sell it to Michael Jordan and become the Charlotte Air

:lol:

Does MJ have the knowledge of how to run a basketball franchise? His track record as Director of Basketball Operations with the Wizards was spotty at best.

No, he does not. But he did have enough sense this year to realize that his best strategy at this point is to let Larry Brown do his thing and hope for the best. The Bobcats weren't good this year, but Brown's changes raised them to the realm of semi-respectable.

I still don't understand why Bobcats (owner name notwithstanding) is such a "junior high" name, nor why their look is considered to be horrible.

Agreed. Their primary logo is pretty terrible, but beyond that they've got an alright (though certainly not great) look.

I can't recall any high schools or middle schools/junior highs that are called the Bobcats (I know they exist, you don't have to share all the ones you know...but it's certainly not that popular). I like the name.

Johnson said last month that he owns about 70 percent of the team. The Observer reported in April that minority partners have been told to expect roughly $35 million in cash losses the next two seasons. Roughly a year ago, while addressing the Observer's editorial board, Johnson implored the Charlotte business community to provide more financial support for his team

How the :censored: does an NBA franchise, anywhere, lose $115 million in two years time? There's something seriously screwed up there. NBA and NFL franchises in particular are virtually assured to make money provided the ownership/management doesn't deliberately screw things up (TV rights money covers almost all the player salaries, which represents about 80% of a franchise's expenses; ticket revenues should make up more than the rest).

nav-logo.png

Johnson said last month that he owns about 70 percent of the team. The Observer reported in April that minority partners have been told to expect roughly $35 million in cash losses the next two seasons. Roughly a year ago, while addressing the Observer's editorial board, Johnson implored the Charlotte business community to provide more financial support for his team

How the :censored: does an NBA franchise, anywhere, lose $115 million in two years time? There's something seriously screwed up there. NBA and NFL franchises in particular are virtually assured to make money provided the ownership/management doesn't deliberately screw things up (TV rights money covers almost all the player salaries, which represents about 80% of a franchise's expenses; ticket revenues should make up more than the rest).

Cue rumors of the team moving to Hamilton.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Maybe it's just a regional thing, but it just seems to me that "Bobcats" is an over used nickname in youth leagues and middle schools. Maybe it's not that way in other parts of the country.

I feel the same way about "paw print" logos. It seems to be very prominent in youth sports, and I'd hat it if a major pro team used it.

Agreed. Their primary logo is pretty terrible, but beyond that they've got an alright (though certainly not great) look.

I can't recall any high schools or middle schools/junior highs that are called the Bobcats (I know they exist, you don't have to share all the ones you know...but it's certainly not that popular). I like the name.

I agree too. I don't think it's bad. It's kind of lame if he named it after himself, but it's not like it's a legit name. I did not know (if this is the case) that a lot of junior highs used the name. Even so, not a lot of big-league teams do, so it's fine by me. And if up to me, I'd keep it out of the fear that the replacement would be awful (e.g. a creative name not ending in "s").

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I agree too. I don't think it's bad. It's kind of lame if he named it after himself, but it's not like it's a legit name. I did not know (if this is the case) that a lot of junior highs used the name. Even so, not a lot of big-league teams do, so it's fine by me. And if up to me, I'd keep it out of the fear that the replacement would be awful (e.g. a creative name not ending in "s").

FWIW, the Arena Football League had a team named the Bobcats in the mid-late '90s. Played in Florida. Named the Florida Bobcats. Same colors as the Florida Marlins.

Still don't make it a good NBA name, but...just figured I'd throw that out there.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

FWIW, the Arena Football League had a team named the Bobcats in the mid-late '90s. Played in Florida. Named the Florida Bobcats. Same colors as the Florida Marlins.

Still don't make it a good NBA name, but...just figured I'd throw that out there.

And in an interesting parallel, they were also awful and unwatched at home. In fact, for a few years, they only played 2 of each season's home games at home, and spent the other five as a barnstorming team.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived