New York Islanders

chickenfish13

re3-3.png

OK, I am happy with the feedback from the kings concept, so I am moving on. I have already "redeveloped" the Blues and Stars, so this is part 4 of my "Redeveloping the NHL". It's for the New York Islanders. Out of the 4, it is the first to feature an all new logo, not a logo based off another, previous logo. I wanted to use the idea of a light house, because it represents "Islanders" very well. I hope you enjoy.

P.S. It's called redeveloping the NHL because I post some stuff, and develop the concept along with your feedback. Enjot, and please critique.

islesexp.png

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only similarities are that it's a ****ing lighthouse and it's blue/orange/white. Other than that they look NOTHING alike.

Are you being sarcastic, or serious? Sorry, I can't tell. :rolleyes:

They are totally different! the lighthouses are completely different and the colors are the same because they are, believe it or not, islanders concepts.

A few things here. One, maybe separate the light beams from the lighthouse. I would say to add some more detail to the lighthouse itself, maybe introducing a third color other than the navy and orange would help distinguish this from other attempts at a similar Isles logo. If you are going to use the circle in the background, maybe do a simplistic cityscape a la the Mets, by doing that you would also give the logo some depth. I also think that you could find a better font to use for the wordmark, right now the New York looks squished and the A and R are really similar.

Or if you want to go a completely different direction, try using the ferry, or a captains hat, or something along those lines.

McCutchen6_zps336cbf93.png

It's a solid start, and while my first reaction was GFB, it isn't all that similar.

Lose the circle. It doesn't serve a purpose and is just dead weight.

I don't like the spike things on the wordmark. I'd say just keep it a regular font with no outline or anything.

The shape of the windows is weird. Make them all the same (just at a different angle of course).

Something about the light beams is off, can't put my finger on it.

To fill up that empty space in the lighthouse someone else mentioned, I'd put in some of those stripes most lighthouses have.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

The only similarities are that it's a ****ing lighthouse and it's blue/orange/white. Other than that they look NOTHING alike.

Are you being sarcastic, or serious? Sorry, I can't tell. :rolleyes:

Serious. The two are nothing alike, aside from the aforementioned.

If you had to verbally describe this logo and ghettofarm boy's, the written description would be identical. A lighthouse with three windows, orange light emanating, a circle below, a general shape that looks like an upside down "T", the words "New York Islanders" at the baseline.

I realize that it's not easy come up with unique ideas, but isn't that kinda the point? You did the same thing with your LA concept also.

DEATH TO REEBOK

I am in the camp that thinks this is too close to GFB's, but if some people don't see it then I guess it doesn't matter much.

My thinking is that there are much more unique ways to make this logo, why settle for making a knockoff? I tackled a lighthouse logo recently and I think there are tons of other ways to make this work for the Islanders. I would take on the challenge and try to make something that will stand out, a concept that others may post in the future saying "this looks waaaay too much like chickenfish's awesome Islanders logo." Maybe that is just my way of thinking and working though. Do you.

It's kinda unfortunate that GFB's was posted because it just highlights the unprofessional nature of you logo. Farmboy uses bold, visible lines and strong outlines, and elements in proportion. Yours is basically the opposite, how NOT to do a lighthouse logo. The light burst looks static and random. The top of the lighthouse doesn't really look like windows, and it doesn't curve with the element below it. The highlights are way too small to be visible, and the lack of anything on the middle of the l-house makes a lot of dead boring space. The house is just straight up and down, making it even more static. The spikes coming off the wordmark looks awful, and the navy space around the words should interact with them more, right now it's just words sitting on a random blue background. The font doesn't really match, and I think I've see you use it multiple times before. The circle you added is incredibly lopsided and just creates more dead space.

Sorry to be harsh, but this needs SO much work.

If you are going to start a series, please don't rip off other people's work, and don't steal an element of another logo without making it quite clear first.

OK, here is another update. Should I continue this direction, or do something completely different?

islesbleh.png

I'm in the camp that believes the two logos aren't too similar, and I can see some potential with this one. First off, like others have said, the light coming from the top of the tower could use some revamping. It just doesn't look right. Maybe angle them downwards and curve the ends, like the Sacramento Rush logo with the miner's helmet you made in your AHL topic a little while back. For the space in between the light and the wordmark, I think the best idea, which someone suggested, is a ferry. The whole purpose of lighthouses is to guide ships in the dark, and one of the things I think of with Long Island is the ferries crossing the sound to Connecticut.

If others continue to think yours is too similar to GFB's, maybe you can just ditch the lighthouse altogether and do a ferry logo. I think either way would work well.

believew.jpg

Archived