NBA offseason 09/10 thread

buzzcut

Just read over on RealGM that the Miami Heat will be retiring Tim Hardaway's number during halftime of their opening night game against the Knicks. Article

Now, I'm trying really hard to not have an opinion based on my feelings from the late 90s rivalry... but come on now. Mourning you could at least make a case for. The man was the heart and soul of the franchise - the centerpiece. If I'm not mistaken, they also retired Michael Jordan's #23, despite him never playing for the team. I just don't see how (like MJ), Tim Hardaway deserves his number retired. Great players have their numbers retired, and great players who contributed something big to the organization. What has Hardaway done to earn the honor? In his five seasons as a member of the Heat, sure he was a GOOD player. A really good player, even. But in four of those five seasons, Hardaway's Heat lost three-of-four postseason series to the Knicks - and in all four series, the Heat were the higher seed. The team made the conference finals in ONE of his season, 1997, and lost to the Bulls in five games. He apparently is the Heat's all-time assists leader and is ranked highly in other statistical categories. That all means he was a very good player. But worthy of retirement? Ehhhh... I just don't think so. If every "very good" player got their numbers retired, there'd be very few numbers available. I liken it to the Knicks retiring numbers for Charles Oakley or John Starks. Good/Very good players with their team, beloved by the fans, parts of huge rivalries, lots of postseason games, ranked high in stat categories... but ultimately, they can never be called great players.

Am I off base here?

I completely agree with you.

alkaline-trio_logo-with-heart.jpg

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just read over on RealGM that the Miami Heat will be retiring Tim Hardaway's number during halftime of their opening night game against the Knicks. Article

Now, I'm trying really hard to not have an opinion based on my feelings from the late 90s rivalry... but come on now. Mourning you could at least make a case for. The man was the heart and soul of the franchise - the centerpiece. If I'm not mistaken, they also retired Michael Jordan's #23, despite him never playing for the team. I just don't see how (like MJ), Tim Hardaway deserves his number retired. Great players have their numbers retired, and great players who contributed something big to the organization. What has Hardaway done to earn the honor? In his five seasons as a member of the Heat, sure he was a GOOD player. A really good player, even. But in four of those five seasons, Hardaway's Heat lost three-of-four postseason series to the Knicks - and in all four series, the Heat were the higher seed. The team made the conference finals in ONE of his season, 1997, and lost to the Bulls in five games. He apparently is the Heat's all-time assists leader and is ranked highly in other statistical categories. That all means he was a very good player. But worthy of retirement? Ehhhh... I just don't think so. If every "very good" player got their numbers retired, there'd be very few numbers available. I liken it to the Knicks retiring numbers for Charles Oakley or John Starks. Good/Very good players with their team, beloved by the fans, parts of huge rivalries, lots of postseason games, ranked high in stat categories... but ultimately, they can never be called great players.

Am I off base here?

I can tell you're a bit biased to this issue, being the Knicks fan as you are. Hardaway's number retirement status has nothing to do with whether their teams lost to the Knicks or not, it's about what he brought to the organization on and off the court. So obviously the Heat Organization feels that he was one of the best players in the team history, and they're right, he is!

Every team has different criteria to retire a player?s number, so you're neither right nor wrong.

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The Golden State Warriors should just fold now. This franchise will always be a walking nuclear bomb. Stephen Jackson of course wants to be traded and now Monta Ellis says he can't play along side Stephen Curry. This franchise has surpassed the Clippers as the most dysfuctional and worst franchise in the league.

I wish San Fran had a newer arena so they could just move them a crossed The Bay.

The City of San Francisco does not even have an arena (age of Oralce or otherwise), less that which the Univ. of San Francisco plays at. The Cow Palace is in Daly City, and could be sold by the State of California at any moment. While the city has the tourist base to get something, remember SF is only 49 square miles big. AT&T Park is basically on a landfill and built privately. Getting the 49ers into the city proper is a 20 year old issue. They have Moscone Center North/South/West, so convention space is never an issue.

While The City has lots of DINK households (Dual Income No Kids), they don't care about the NBA, the East Bay cares more. Plus, Oracle can house the largest NBA crowds in the state, more than Staples or Honda Center plus can be gotten to easily via BART. Before renovation, it was collegiate, after, it has narrow concourses and "nicer", but so does US Airways and it was build from the ground up.

I wish San Fran had a newer arena so they could just move them a crossed The Bay.

The City of San Francisco does not even have an arena (age of Oralce or otherwise), less that which the Univ. of San Francisco plays at. The Cow Palace is in Daly City, and could be sold by the State of California at any moment. While the city has the tourist base to get something, remember SF is only 49 square miles big. AT&T Park is basically on a landfill and built privately. Getting the 49ers into the city proper is a 20 year old issue. They have Moscone Center North/South/West, so convention space is never an issue.

While The City has lots of DINK households (Dual Income No Kids), they don't care about the NBA, the East Bay cares more. Plus, Oracle can house the largest NBA crowds in the state, more than Staples or Honda Center plus can be gotten to easily via BART. Before renovation, it was collegiate, after, it has narrow concourses and "nicer", but so does US Airways and it was build from the ground up.

Interesting take on things, thanks for sharing that! It?s just too the city of Oakland decided to keep the old crappy exterior shell of the Oakland Arena. Everything in the Oracle seems jammed pack and too crowded as opposed to other more spacious arenas.

I heard yesterday that the officials' union turned down the latest offer, which likely means that replacement refs are going to work the preseason games.

A lot of NBA fans think the refs are terrible...can the NBA get any worse with these replacement refs? And will this really affect the regular season games all that much?

I heard yesterday that the officials' union turned down the latest offer, which likely means that replacement refs are going to work the preseason games.

A lot of NBA fans think the refs are terrible...can the NBA get any worse with these replacement refs? And will this really affect the regular season games all that much?

The media seems to think it'll affect the games but I'm not sure at this point. I go to quite a bit Jazz games throughout the season and I'm going to tonight's game, so we'll see how much of a difference there is.

Here?s an article on the refs performance in last night?s game. They apparently called 69 fouls which seemed a ton to me in the second half. Every time up the court?.FOUL, FOUL, FOUL! I personally thought it was ridiculous! Does anybody know the average of fouls per game, even in Salt Lake City where the Jazz seem to foul the most in the league?

ESPN: No early complaints about referees

Archived