2009 Confederations Cup

twi

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was a little disappointing, but I wasn't really expecting a win anyway. They played very well and I don't think anyone can really complain about a loss to one of the greatest teams in the world.

On the bright side, this was really just a dry run for next year, and it gave the younger players some valuable experience playing at this level. And of course it gave everyone their first taste of playing in a FIFA final.

Oh, and Tim Howard and Clint Dempsey did win individual hardware in the tournament. Yes, that's sort of like J.S. Giguere winning the Conn Smythe Trophy in '03 after his team lost the finals, but stil...

CCSLC signature.png

I'm with BiB...

The US has been playing well enough and against enough quality opponents to have moved past moral victories, and start getting some trophies. The US has never embraced losing...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

One thing's for sure, after the last two games, the Mexican national team (who are on the bubble in CONCACAF qualifying) has to be s :censored: ting in their pants about having to face Team USA again a few weeks from now, even though it is in Mexico City.

CCSLC signature.png

One thing's for sure, after the last two games, the Mexican national team (who are on the bubble in CONCACAF qualifying) has to be s :censored: ting in their pants about having to face Team USA again a few weeks from now, even though it is in Mexico City.
They have nothing to worry about, trust me - they'll qualify. They're one of only three teams that have not lost any points at home yet (the other two being Costa Rica and the United States). They should easily qualify.

LvZYtbZ.png

US showed they can compete on a world stage I'm proud of them for that, Tim Howard will finally have a shot next summer to show the World he's one of the best.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

US showed they can compete on a world stage I'm proud of them for that, Tim Howard will finally have a shot next summer to show the World he's one of the best.
Perhaps so, but I'm quite disappointed that they're not sending their 'A' team to the Gold Cup - whereas Mexico and the rest of the confederation is. You don't diss your confederation like that - you should always send your 'A' team.

LvZYtbZ.png

Perhaps so, but I'm quite disappointed that they're not sending their 'A' team to the Gold Cup - whereas Mexico and the rest of the confederation is. You don't diss your confederation like that - you should always send your 'A' team.

Serious? Didn't know that was happening but I understand playing in a big tournament with great competition the week before and in the upcoming week most likely start the beginning of a Mexico-US Final but maybe this is good news for the Canadian's and it maybe gives them the boost they need to get them over the top, but I'm not holding my breath for that the US can still throw out a good B squad and win there group because outside of Honduras the group is weak.

Anyways have they released the squads yet?

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Serious? Didn't know that was happening but I understand playing in a big tournament with great competition the week before and in the upcoming week most likely start the beginning of a Mexico-US Final but maybe this is good news for the Canadian's and it maybe gives them the boost they need to get them over the top, but I'm not holding my breath for that the US can still throw out a good B squad and win there group because outside of Honduras the group is weak.

Anyways have they released the squads yet?

Squads are all here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_CONCACAF_Gold_Cup_squads

Still, why not send your 'A' team? It'll keep them in shape for the Mexico match!

LvZYtbZ.png

Which is what they should be preparing for. Resting the A-squad so that they can qualify for the MORE IMPORTANT WORLD CUP is better than trying to expend all of their energy on what is, basically, a less meaningful tournament ESPECIALLY after they just nobly represented their confederation in the confed cup.

Basically, WCQ > Gold Cup at this point. I understand what they're doing, and it's good that they can get the reserves some playing time in a tournament that they don't necessarily need to win. Reminds me of what some teams do when they send their B-team to play in meaningless Europe games.

I get the sentiment, but if everyone else is sending out the A team, but the HOST COUNTRY and defending champion doesn't send out their A team... idk, I don't like that

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Still, why not send your 'A' team? It'll keep them in shape for the Mexico match!

The problem there is that a big chunk of the 'A' team plays in MLS, whose season is still going on, and whose clubs presumably would rather not have their biggest stars out of the picture for any extended length of time (and possibly getting injured), at least not in a non-WC year. IIRC this is the same reason why Bradley sent the 'B' team to the CONMEBOL tournament in 2007, which was played right after the last Gold Cup.

CCSLC signature.png

I get the sentiment, but if everyone else is sending out the A team, but the HOST COUNTRY and defending champion doesn't send out their A team... idk, I don't like that

Being the host country is no big deal considering the US is basically the permanent host country for this tournament with exception of Mexico hosting a couple games in 2003 and 1993.

Conferderations Cup and World Cup qualifying is more important.

Being the host country is no big deal considering the US is basically the permanent host country for this tournament with exception of Mexico hosting a couple games in 2003 and 1993.

Bingo.

That, and they've basically dominated that thing this decade. There's really no good reason for the USMNT to go hard for this tournament. Not like 07 where it was basically the major tournament of the year for them. Now, for the other teams who basically have no chance of making the World Cup, this is THEIR World Cup so of course they're gonna send their A-team. :P

Yeah I did some research on the Gold Cup after I posted, and then I realized that the host country thing didn't matter anymore lol.

Yeah then I retract my statement.

In the grand scheme, the Gold Cup means nothing this year.

We won't be qualifying for the next Confederations Cup with it, and it's not getting us into the World Cup.

So on the world stage, it means nothing.

All right then, carry the flag B team! :P

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I'm gutted after this loss, but I'm hopeful for the future due to the effort the boys put in.

Now we can focus on putting the B-Team in for the Gold Cup, and saving the main squad for the World Cup Qualifiers. Who do we have next? Honduras and then Trinidad and Tobago?

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

Soccer and Hockey are the only "major" sports that don't have a tiered scoring system. They're also the least popular "major" sports in the U.S. Coincidence? Maybe... maybe not.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Meh, disappointing that we lost, but I really wasn't surprised. Great effort by the team.

Our attack pissed me the hell off sometimes. Charlie Davies is just unpolished and messed up a couple times in their third of the pitch, just poor decision making. It'll come with experience I hope. Jozy did that a few times too. We'd have a 4 on 4 and just mess it up trying to get too fancy or not being aggressive enough and holding the ball.

Also NEED to get better on set pieces, those killed us a couple times. Timmy H saved the defense's ass more times than I can count on two hands the past couple games, IMO he's the MVP for the team for sure in the tournament, maybe even the whole Cup.

And just for those who don't like to crunch numbers, the US is only sending 4 players that were on the Confed Cup squad to the Gold Cup.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

Archived