2011 NCAA Tournament

In what seems quite odd, there has still been no sites announced for the 2011 NCAA Men's Tournament other than Houston hosting the Final Four. Living in Buffalo, I feel like it was announced at least two years in advance that HSBC Arena would be hosting again in 2010 (it may have been anounced right after hosting in 2007). Does anybody have any information as to what cities will be hosting, or if there is any reason for a delay?

ducks-large.jpg

In what seems quite odd, there has still been no sites announced for the 2011 NCAA Men's Tournament other than Houston hosting the Final Four. Living in Buffalo, I feel like it was announced at least two years in advance that HSBC Arena would be hosting again in 2010 (it may have been anounced right after hosting in 2007). Does anybody have any information as to what cities will be hosting, or if there is any reason for a delay?

Bids for hosting in 2011, 2012, and 2013 were due last week. The host sites are scheduled be announced in September.

Bids for hosting in 2011, 2012, and 2013 were due last week. The host sites are scheduled be announced in September.

FWIW, here's a partial list of the prospective host venues that are bidding(Updated 6/25):

City(Host School and/or conference; venue)

Albuquerque, NM(University of New Mexico; University Arena)

Arlington, TX(Big 12 Conference; Dallas Cowboys Stadium)*

Atlanta(Georgia Institute of Technology; Georgia Dome)*

Austin, TX(University of Texas at Austin; Erwin Events Center)

Birmingham, AL(Southeastern Conference; BJCC Arena)

East Rutherford, NJ(Rutgers University, Izod Center)

Jacksonville, FL(Jacksonville University; Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Coliseum)

Knoxville, TN(University of Tennessee, Knoxville; Thompson-Bolling Arena)

Lexington, KY(University of Kentucky; Rupp Arena)

Little Rock, AR(University of Arkansas, Little Rock; Verizon Arena)

Louisville, KY(University of Louisville; Riverfront Arena)

Memphis(University of Memphis; FedEx Forum)

Newark(Seton Hall University, Prudential Center)

New Orleans(Tulane University; Louisiana Superdome)*

New York City(St. John's University(NY) and Big East Conference; Madison Square Garden)

Orlando(University of Central Florida or Stetson University; New Orlando Arena)

Tampa(University of South Florida; St. Pete Times Forum)

Wichita, KS(Wichita State University; InTrust Bank Center)

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

Wichita has a bid? I didn't know it had an arena big enough for any NCAA event.

Also, I don't see why Omaha didn't try again with the Qwest Center.

Both they and Louisville are bidding facilities under constrcution, which is allowed. Intrust Bank Arena is to open in 2010.

Wichita has a bid? I didn't know it had an arena big enough for any NCAA event.

Also, I don't see why Omaha didn't try again with the Qwest Center.

Intrust Bank Arena is opening in January.

Also, that's just a partial list of the venues hosting. I'd be shocked if Omaha isn't on the list.

You can bid with a facility that hasn't been completed, but your chances are understandably better when you have an actual site that can be visited. When the Frozen Four was in Columbus back in '05, a lot of the people in attendence noted that it sucked to have to schlep out to the Schottenstein Center. Unfortunately, when OSU bid on the Frozen Four, construction hadn't yet begun on Nationwide Arena, so they went with the known quantity. Of course, the Schott is arguably the best on-campus facility of any kind in the nation, so it's not like it wasn't up to the event; it just would've been better to have the games downtown.

Better still, does the new arrangement with the NIT mean that NCAA events can be played at MSG?

When the NCAA bought the tournament in 2005, there was only a five year guarantee that NYC would host the post season NIT finals. The schools which brought the litigation will be paid for a total of 10 years.

When are they going to have games at the Rock :mad:

I read awhile back that the Devils were going to put in a bid with Seton Hall for a regional final at the Rock. Also that the Meadowlands with Rutgers was also putting in a bid and MSG was also putting in a bid.

I read awhile back that the Devils were going to put in a bid with Seton Hall for a regional final at the Rock. Also that the Meadowlands with Rutgers was also putting in a bid and MSG was also putting in a bid.

MSG is working with both St. John's and the Big East for the bid. I'll update my earlier post to reflect these additions. Also, expect the Barclays Center in downtown Brooklyn to bid for events, if it ever opens of course.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

• 2 months later...

Know that we have word from the NCAA, 2011. Got the East Regional over the Meadowlands.

So it is in here neatly, here are the host for the 2011 Tournament.

First/Second Round: Tulsa, Charlotte, Chicago, Denver, Tampa, Tucson, Washington D.C.

Regionals: Anaheim, New Orleans, San Antonio, Newark

Final Four: Houston

2012:

1st/2nd: Albuquerque, Columbus, Greensboro, Louisville, Nashville, Ohmaha, Pittsburgh, Portland

Regionals: Atlanta, Phoenix, Boston, St. Louis

Final Four: New Orleans.

2013:

1st/2nd: Auburn Hills, Austin, Dayton, Kansas City, Lexington, Philadelphia, Salt Lake City, San Jose

Regionals: Indianapolis, Los Angeles, North Texas (Cowboys Stadium), TBA (Likely MSG if renovations are complete)

Final Four: Atlanta

Know that we have word from the NCAA, 2011. Got the East Regional over the Meadowlands.

So it is in here neatly, here are the host for the 2011 Tournament.

First/Second Round: Tulsa, Charlotte, Chicago, Denver, Tampa, Tucson, Washington D.C.

Regionals: Anaheim, New Orleans, San Antonio, Newark

Final Four: Houston

2012:

1st/2nd: Albuquerque, Columbus, Greensboro, Louisville, Nashville, Ohmaha, Pittsburgh, Portland

Regionals: Atlanta, Phoenix, Boston, St. Louis

Final Four: New Orleans.

2013:

1st/2nd: Auburn Hills, Austin, Dayton, Kansas City, Lexington, Philadelphia, Salt Lake City, San Jose

Regionals: Indianapolis, Los Angeles, North Texas (Cowboys Stadium), TBA (Likely MSG if renovations are complete)

Final Four: Atlanta

I can not wait for the Regionals at the Rock

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

New Orleans and San Antonio hosting regional finals in the same year? That seems weird.

Will New Orleans be "South" and San Antonio "Midwest" or will it be the other way around?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived