Padre ponderings?

BawlmerOreos

For better or worse, the Padres have abandoned having anything to do with fat Catholics in their art direction, and replaced it with being pleasant and pretty. I think it's a smart move: the city of San Diego is pleasant and pretty, as is their new park, and I'm sure as are a lot of their fans. So they're really just about San Diego, not Padres, and that's fine. It's more inclusive, and it looks very nice and modern as well.

I've said it over and over again. If the San Diego baseball team wants to be called the Padres, then BE the Padres... friars, brown and all. If they don't, then be San Diego with sails and waves as they are now but DON'T call yourself the Padres. Call yourself the Waves, Surf, Sails, or simply the San Diego Baseball Club.

I'm so tired of teams taking the easy way out and designing only something they think will sell and neglecting their actual name. If this were designed by one of my university students, I'd say nice design but you failed since you completely neglected the meaning of the name.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For better or worse, the Padres have abandoned having anything to do with fat Catholics in their art direction, and replaced it with being pleasant and pretty. I think it's a smart move: the city of San Diego is pleasant and pretty, as is their new park, and I'm sure as are a lot of their fans. So they're really just about San Diego, not Padres, and that's fine. It's more inclusive, and it looks very nice and modern as well.

I've said it over and over again. If the San Diego baseball team wants to be called the Padres, then BE the Padres... friars, brown and all. If they don't, then be San Diego with sails and waves as they are now but DON'T call yourself the Padres. Call yourself the Waves, Surf, Sails, or simply the San Diego Baseball Club.

I'm so tired of teams taking the easy way out and designing only something they think will sell and neglecting their actual name. If this were designed by one of my university students, I'd say nice design but you failed since you completely neglected the meaning of the name.

In this day of merchandising, focus groups, marketing, etc., you are right that they should really have all aspects of their identity tie together, from the mascot, to the nickname, to the uniforms, etc. I would prefer if it was more like the "old" days, where teams represented their city (and to at least some extent, based their identities around their home base and not a mascot) and then "earned" a nickname (or were anointed one somehow.) I also don't think that teams from really large markets really need to be gimmicky and play up to their mascot or nickname. For example, the Lakers shouldn't go with a lake theme, and I wouldn't really want to see the Cubs dress in brown and have bear claws on their uniforms.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

This pro-Brown, anti-Brown debate got me thinking...why do the Padres HAVE to be Brown, really?

Here's another look at their "Swinging Friar" logo:

SanDiegoPadres_AJSE_2004-9999.png

The Friars' robe (in this case) is a Dark Red or Maroon. It's not Brown.

Why couldn't they go with a Maroon based color scheme? The Phillies certainly aren't Maroon anymore; Maroon would be unique in baseball, and fairly unique in the major sports:

SanDiegoPadres_PF4_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

A lot of you will notice that this is a very similar (but not exact) color scheme to the old USFL Michigan Panthers.

I'm open to suggestions...

The Cleveland Browns looked awesome when they wore brown with orange pants. I can't get behind brown on the Padres, though. I'm almost satisfied with what they have going here.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Contrasting-panel caps were left behind for a reason. Yuck.

The rest has some promise, though there's a decided lack of the light blue.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Why couldn't they go with a Maroon based color scheme? The Phillies certainly aren't Maroon anymore; Maroon would be unique in baseball, and fairly unique in the major sports.

Well, I still like to hold out hope that the Phillies will go back to maroon and light blue, so I'm against any other team doing so first.

But to the question of "the Padres should look like a missionary in a robe," even if we grant the validity of this very silly claim -- do the people who claim this of the Padres object to the Tigers wearing blue instead of black? -- it does not require that the team use brown as a primary color. Historically, cassocks have usually been black, not brown, in the Catholic church. Most missionary priests or friars -- or padres -- would have worn mainly black robes, rarely red or white. In rarer cases, undyed sackloth or other primitive material might be worn when finished cloth was not available, but in that case we'd be talking about something that would look like light tan. Which the Padres already wear. Franciscans typically wore brown robes with white cords. But Benedictines, Jesuits, Dominicans, and ordinary priests and friars would more commonly wear black. And since most of the "padres" in old California were priests and friars, not Franciscan monks, "the Padres should look like their namesake" actually requires San Diego to adopt black as the primary color.

20082614447.png

Why couldn't they go with a Maroon based color scheme? The Phillies certainly aren't Maroon anymore; Maroon would be unique in baseball, and fairly unique in the major sports.

Well, I still like to hold out hope that the Phillies will go back to maroon and light blue, so I'm against any other team doing so first.

But to the question of "the Padres should look like a missionary in a robe," even if we grant the validity of this very silly claim -- do the people who claim this of the Padres object to the Tigers wearing blue instead of black? -- it does not require that the team use brown as a primary color. Historically, cassocks have usually been black, not brown, in the Catholic church. Most missionary priests or friars -- or padres -- would have worn mainly black robes, rarely red or white. In rarer cases, undyed sackloth or other primitive material might be worn when finished cloth was not available, but in that case we'd be talking about something that would look like light tan. Which the Padres already wear. Franciscans typically wore brown robes with white cords. But Benedictines, Jesuits, Dominicans, and ordinary priests and friars would more commonly wear black. And since most of the "padres" in old California were priests and friars, not Franciscan monks, "the Padres should look like their namesake" actually requires San Diego to adopt black as the primary color.

I'm not advocating the Padres wear brown because a friar would... I'm advocating because:

1. It looked great

2. Nobody else is using it

3. Their current pretend color scheme makes them look like half the other teams,

and most of all...

4. Brown and Gold IS THEIR friggin color scheme.

It's not, though, and hasn't been for years. And don't worry, the Padres don't look like half the league. They could be mistaken for the Brewers if you've got some crap in your eye, though.

Like the Buffalo Sabres...

And I'm still waiting to see the drafts of those, Greg. :D

Patience, grasshopper. I'll unveil 'em once I've finished the whole league. Then once I've made all the edits (in a couple years), I'm going to make like a fake history of the league booklet. Should be a fun little project.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

As far as I have been able to figure out, these were the original colors of the minor league San Diego Padres (Pacific Coast League):

SanDiegoPadres_FRC_1968_SOL_SRGB.png

I honestly think the Brown and Gold color scheme might have been a late-'60s fad.

As far as I have been able to figure out, these were the original colors of the minor league San Diego Padres (Pacific Coast League):

I honestly think the Brown and Gold color scheme might have been a late-'60s fad.

Brown/Gold was the scheme they chose once they became a Major League franchise in 1969. 1968 and prior it was Dark Navy Blue and Red.

Brown/Gold was the scheme they chose once they became a Major League franchise in 1969. 1968 and prior it was Dark Navy Blue and Red.

Dark Navy Blue? Hmmm...I'll have to change that then.

The first mission in San Diego was founded by Franciscans led by Junipero Serra, so the brown robe is historically accurate.

http://missionsandiego.com/

I'm not advocating the Padres wear brown because a friar would... I'm advocating because:

1. It looked great

2. Nobody else is using it

3. Their current pretend color scheme makes them look like half the other teams,

and most of all...

4. Brown and Gold IS THEIR friggin color scheme.

For nearly half their MLB existence, they've had navy as a primary color (1991-present). Navy is just as much a part of their history as brown is, especially if you consider they were navy in the PCL prior to becoming an expansion team in '69. They really only had the brown-gold combo for a little over a decade, since they added orange in 1980 I think and then ditched the gold from 85-90.

Not too bad, but it looks a little washed out to me. I really think they're better off sticking with navy/sky/sand and simply tweaking a few of the faulty elements. The colors aren't the problem so much as the elements of the design (redundant hat, ugly road script, ugly road uniform, mismatched NOB lettering).

As much as I dislike the various brown iterations of the Padres, the uniforms right before the current set really stunk. Some real "well here's a baseball team" stuff there. And that logo with Times New Roman italic in a ring. Haha, gross.

The San Diego Union today had an article on the Padres uniform history here:

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/200...1057/?uniontrib

And a nice little multimedia presentation here:

http://data.uniontrib.com/padres/jerseys.html

From that article...

?When you change several times, you never build up any visual tradition,? Lukas said. ?Your tradition becomes one of not having a tradition, of visual change. I wasn't so sad (when the Padres moved away from the ?taco? jerseys) because I thought it was a great look, but because it was their look. You connect with those colors.?

Yeah, that's what I said. They can wear navy for the next 50 years... it'll still be somebody else's look.

Archived