Toronto Maple Leafs Concept

philroy

This concept was my entry for the final round of the Trifecta Competition. I’m posting it on its own in the hopes of getting some additional C&C.

For those who may not have seen the explanation in the Trifecta thread:

Primary Logo: I tried to create a leaf that was different enough to differentiate it from past Leaf logos, but would still fit in with its predecessors. My research said that the team name was derived from the name of the regiment that team owner Conn Smythe belonged to during WWI. That led to photos of old Canadian military regimental crests, and images of the headstones of Canadian soldiers. The smaller branches on the bottom of my maple leaf, and the stem bent towards the right side, are both inspired by the maple leaf that is engraved on those headstones. The font is similar to the existing Leafs font, but didn’t start out that way. It’s a custom font with elements added to reflect the current Leafs font (the slanted lines on the T, E, L). The maple leaf has 13 points on it – matching the 13 Stanley Cups won by the Toronto NHL franchise (11 as the Leafs; one each as the St. Pats and Arenas).

Secondary Logo: Pretty straight-forward: the CN Tower is a symbol of Toronto, and makes up the base of a “T” on a shield. The Toronto Arenas logo (a T on a shield) served as inspiration here.

Wordmark: Again, pretty straightforward: the font is the same custom font as the primary logo, as is the elements of the maple leaf. The current Leafs logo makes up the centers of the As.

Leafs-logosupdate-philroy.png

In the Trifecta thread, the predominant criticism of the set was that the jerseys were boring. I’m in the process of revisiting those, and will add them to the thread in the next day or two.

Thanks.

The secondary looks a little too much like a soccer crest for my liking. And in the wordmark, I love the underline/maple leaf touch, but I'd ditch the maple leaf in the "A." Nice work.

- The CN Tower shouldn't be used when designing logos/uniforms for the Leafs. I know it is a big part of the city but it shouldnt be used. Try a different secondary.

- Lose the little maple leafs in the wordmark and its a pretty good wordmark.

- As for the main logo, I dont hate it, but I dont like it. Something about the wordmark inside the leaf looks off.

- Lose the silver. I didnt mind the silver with the TML logo and outlining the numbers, but it doesnt belong on the main crest.

beLEAF

The wordmark is simple and awesome. I also think it would be better without the leafs in the A's.

The other two logos I'm not crazy about. The CN Tower logo is technically very good and appealing, but doesn't seem to suit the leafs.

I might be in the minority here, but I like the secondary logo with the CN Tower. Yes it does look a little like a soccer club logo, but since it is a secondary logo I think it works well, besides it is different, and it a symbol of the city of Toronto. I do agree with the others in saying you need to get rid of the little leafs in the wordmark. I am looking foreward to seeing some uniforms.

roqymbou.pngfx32axau.png

I'll be honest, the only part I like is the wordmark, minus the leaves in the A. The primary looks too fru-fru, and while it may look like a more accurate maple leaf and have historical significance, I just don't think it works in this application. The detailed bottom doesn't match the relatively simplistic top.

As others have said, the secondary is too detailed to work effectively, and the CN Tower isn't a necessary element to the Maple Leafs, after all, the Tower was built well after the team began play (well after their last Stanley Cup for that mattter :\)

This concept was my entry for the final round of the Trifecta Competition. I?m posting it on its own in the hopes of getting some additional C&C.

For those who may not have seen the explanation in the Trifecta thread:

Primary Logo: I tried to create a leaf that was different enough to differentiate it from past Leaf logos, but would still fit in with its predecessors. My research said that the team name was derived from the name of the regiment that team owner Conn Smythe belonged to during WWI. That led to photos of old Canadian military regimental crests, and images of the headstones of Canadian soldiers. The smaller branches on the bottom of my maple leaf, and the stem bent towards the right side, are both inspired by the maple leaf that is engraved on those headstones. The font is similar to the existing Leafs font, but didn?t start out that way. It?s a custom font with elements added to reflect the current Leafs font (the slanted lines on the T, E, L). The maple leaf has 13 points on it ? matching the 13 Stanley Cups won by the Toronto NHL franchise (11 as the Leafs; one each as the St. Pats and Arenas).

Secondary Logo: Pretty straight-forward: the CN Tower is a symbol of Toronto, and makes up the base of a ?T? on a shield. The Toronto Arenas logo (a T on a shield) served as inspiration here.

Wordmark: Again, pretty straightforward: the font is the same custom font as the primary logo, as is the elements of the maple leaf. The current Leafs logo makes up the centers of the As.

Leafs-logosupdate-philroy.png

In the Trifecta thread, the predominant criticism of the set was that the jerseys were boring. I?m in the process of revisiting those, and will add them to the thread in the next day or two.

Thanks.

Not being from Toronto I have no idea what the secondary is, but it looks like the Seattle Sounders logo.

I'll be honest, the only part I like is the wordmark, minus the leaves in the A. The primary looks too fru-fru, and while it may look like a more accurate maple leaf and have historical significance, I just don't think it works in this application. The detailed bottom doesn't match the relatively simplistic top.

As others have said, the secondary is too detailed to work effectively, and the CN Tower isn't a necessary element to the Maple Leafs, after all, the Tower was built well after the team began play (well after their last Stanley Cup for that mattter :\)

Agreed!

-Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Archived