CHL Redesign

chickenfish13

Actually, I am changing it to either Independence Freedom, or Missouri Freedom. The name Freedom was a finalist for them, and I kinda like it. Thoughts on that? And, no I probably won't be doing defunct teams, but I may change my mind.

I say that you'd likely have to try really hard not to make the concept look too much like the Allen Americans' one...

bYhYmxh.png

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, here is #9, the Missouri Freedom

CHLmissourifreedompri.png

OK, so the reasoning behind this may be kinda sketchy to some people. This is a personal preference concept, more so than it being a realistic possibility. I changed the name to Freedom, as it fits in well with the city, Independence, and was a top 10 name finalist. I honestly think that it's better than mavericks, but again it's just an opinion. I made it Missouri Freedom instead of Independence Freedom, as Independence Freedom kinda just repeats itself. I originally used Orange and Blue, but changed it to red and blue because of the Freedom aspect. I'd rather have a different color scheme, but it doesn't really work in this situation. The primary is a depiction of an eagle, representing Freedom. It's kinda around the style of some of AAO's logo concepts. Obviously not exactly like it, and nowhere near as good, but that's kinda the inspiration.

The secondary is a tattered, waving flag.

The tertiary is just a simple serifed R, with a star behind it.

So, hopefully some of you will like this, and I know some won't, so give me any C and C you got!

EDIT

Sorry, I put R instead of F for the tertiary. Sorry bout that.

youve got a solid base, and the primary logo has a lot of potential. something about it bothers me though, especially the bottom of the neck. can't put my finger on it. maybe try altering the stroke width in some places, make it less even?

the secondary needs more detail in the flag. the pole and the flag themselves should be different colors, and it doesn't look like a "tattered" flag at all, since there is really no definition in it. look at some other flags and see how they accent it.

the F in the tertiary should be a different color, nothing pops off and it all looks 2-dimensional, when in reality the F should be on top of the star (should it not?)

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

I like the angle looking at this eagle head. the only problem I see is that the blue shading is equally thick around the entire head. well roughly equally thick. Id say move the white out further nearer to the red outline on the left and bottom side and making the blue thinner at the same time. if that maks any sense it might look a little better. but this is almost there as is.

I think you've got a good start here, and you've finally put together a series of logos that are different from each other but clearly part of the same identity. On the primary logo, I like the positioning of the eagle's head, and you've done a pretty good job of finding the right places for highlights and shadows. I think you still need a few more details in there--especially on the beak, or to separate the beak from the head--but it's a good start. I really like the concept behind the secondary mark. To improve it, I'd recommend playing with the colors. I'd rather you lose that odd white shape in the background and replace it with some white stars, and I'd make the flag pole white and make the flag red, with a white M on it.

One thing you really need to address here are the large, pointed parts of your logos that are becoming exaggerated, especially on the outlines. It looks like you're using something like the Offset Path tool in Illustrator to create outlines, which has a tendency to do that. You need to go back and refine some of the problem areas individually by hand, especially on the eagle's beak, the back of his head, and the tips of the flag.

I'm looking forward to an update on this one, because I feel like you can really make this set nice.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Its a good start, but I think your main problem in this logo, and many logos I have seen from you, is outlines. I see in most of your logos there are simply too many outlines. In this logo however the problem is the size and shape of the outlines. The blue outline in the primary logo is way too think and leaves a whole lot of negative space between the eagle an the red outline. The other problem I see in the outlines, is that the shape of the outline doesn't really match up to the eagle inside them. For example, see how on the outline there is a large downward curve where the beak is, but the eagle on the inside doesn't have this downward curve. Also see how in the outline the neck comes out past the beak and creates a point, while the white eagle's neck is squared off and is well behind the beak. On the flag logo, I'm not quite sure what the white object in the background is, maybe you could make it into a more recognizable object. Also the 'points' of the flag on the outline go out unnecessarily far. The 'F' logo is well rendered, and I don't see much you could do to improve it.

30vja50.png

GIANTS_REDSOX_CELTICS_LIGHTNING_BULLS

Actually, the outlines thing is just caused my Inkscape. All I do for outlines is duplicate the shape, send it to the bottom, and make the stroke thicker. The reason they end so pointed is because of Mitre Limit. If the mitre limit is at 4, it will end in a square, but if you bring it up any higher, it will make it end in a long point, instead of just a small point instead of the squared end, which bugs me. I don't know why I've never asked this before, but how do Inkscape users on here do the outlines? There is probably a better way to do it, and so I need your help.

chlaaway.png

I will start off with the Away nameplate is not legible as the rest of the jerseys.

What a set! I loved it all.

The primary logo is superb! It puts my eyeballs into a tug of war, but that is a GOOD thing!

Alt jersey rocks! That is not saying the other are bad.

I envy your work here!

1sigHawks-1.png

2sigHawks.gif

A little late there, but thanks.

I am often late.

Just went through it all here. Absolutely top notch! Don't tell me it comes easy to you.

Don't like the strong contrast the white piping brought to your Gorilla set, jungle stealth in the earlier versions rocked.

Not getting the Freedom primary but I like the name change.

1sigHawks-1.png

2sigHawks.gif

Archived