Logos painted on grass

MG helmets

I used the same concepts from this tutorial and applied it to concrete. I think it turned out pretty well.

That is very nice.

That would make a fantastic wallpaper.

How about hardwood; same idea?

That's what I was hoping to hear. My friend was hoping I could make him a 'concrete' florida background for his phone. Here is how it turned out. I don't know how hardwood would look. I guess I can try it out later tonight.

flconcretephone2.png

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7. next select one of your 'soft light' layers and hit 'effects, distort, displacement'. you will then be

prompted to select a displacement map file. choose the grayscale psd you just created. repeat this

process with the hue layer and apply a slight gaussian blur to the remaining 'soft light layer'.

you should get a logo that looks roughened up as in the picture below.

This is the part I'm having trouble with. I'm using Photoshop CS4 and I honestly can't find the effects, distort, displacement option. Any ideas? I went under Filter > Distort > Displace, but nothing popped up telling me to choose a map file.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

7. next select one of your 'soft light' layers and hit 'effects, distort, displacement'. you will then be

prompted to select a displacement map file. choose the grayscale psd you just created. repeat this

process with the hue layer and apply a slight gaussian blur to the remaining 'soft light layer'.

you should get a logo that looks roughened up as in the picture below.

This is the part I'm having trouble with. I'm using Photoshop CS4 and I honestly can't find the effects, distort, displacement option. Any ideas? I went under Filter > Distort > Displace, but nothing popped up telling me to choose a map file.

If I remember right (with CS3) you have to actually enter the values you want to displace by then hit ok. Once you've done that a window similar to the save dialog window (where you can select folders etc) will appear and let you go to the place/folder you saved your displacement map in.

It's more of a two stage process than a pop on top of the displace dialog window. Cant guarantee it's the same in CS4 but that's how it is in CS3 I think. Hope that helps a bit.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

I used the same concepts from this tutorial and applied it to concrete. I think it turned out pretty well.

That is very nice.

That would make a fantastic wallpaper.

How about hardwood; same idea?

That's what I was hoping to hear. My friend was hoping I could make him a 'concrete' florida background for his phone. Here is how it turned out. I don't know how hardwood would look. I guess I can try it out later tonight.

flconcretephone2.png

that one is really good!

where did you get that texture.

Longtime lurker (still a member, just don't log in) and I use GIMP. The Free Photoshop! (cheap son of a gun)

I used the tutorial to design a .psd template for an online Front Office Football League I'm in, the UFL (older by five years than the newly coined UFL in real life). It's a league where the WFL and USFL merged after the USFL won the antitrust suit against the NFL and raked in MILLIONS instead of the chump change.

One layer I added was a chalk layer of the Blitz logo. Then I built upon that with a displaced logo, and a bump map logo using the concrete bunker wall as the map.

largeblitz.jpg

I watched someone else use the EA Sports Create a Team website, and built the helmet.

Suggestions? Opinions?

It's my first post here with some of my work. . .looking for advice. . .

• 3 months later...
This is what I came up with, I must say that with everyone coming together to create an easy to follow tut and input from others, that these are the reason that I try to improve my skills. Thanks to everyone who contributed to this.

I completely agree! With the collaboration of everyone on the board, we all improve our skills and everybody wins, while having fun at the same time! :D

EDIT

I forgot to through in my final edit.

mariners_grass.jpg

Why not try one with just the Mariners' compass rose?

"Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy." Benjamin Franklin

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You're right there isn't. While a great many Photoshop filters are now available in Illustrator displacement maps was not one of them. Although that may have changed with the recent release of CS5 but I doubt it very much.

9erssteve

I saw that they released CS5! I?m intrigued to see what some of the CCSLC users think of it so far.

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Awesome stuff. I wanted to try my hand at this, however I'm using gimp (2.8), and have created my own (less realistic) grass texture, but trying to put the 49ers logo onto the grass to make it look like these never looks right. The color is always too dark or the grass layer rarely shows through. I've tried soft light layers, hue layers, etc. but nothing is working. I saw pscf3's schedule wallpaper and trying to find out how he did it, but then remember this tutorial.

I'm sure I'm missing a few steps, and have done it before just can't find my files. I just don't what steps I'm missing. Any help or information on this is appreciated.

Thank you.

• 4 months later...

Archived