England Monarchs

Davidson

I have been thinking about doing a logo design project for the board for a little while.

i thought i might do a commonwealth nations football league creating teams from england,

scotland, wales, south africa, australia, new zealand etc.

i have been messing about for a couple of days with this logo and so i thought id post it.

the old nfl europe monarchs logos are pretty ropey:

5610.gif

5609.gif

i took a less literal approach to the monarch mascot and used a national symbol and a symbol

of the british monarchy, the lion. been here a very long time and never seen a lion, but you have

to go to the zoo to see kiwis in nz so fair game i guess.

i initially had the idea to use the lions mane to create the george cross but it either left the lion

looking a bit sparse or made the cross look a bit obfuscated with detail.

here is my shout. let me know what you think:

monarchs.png

MONARCHS.jpg

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MONARCHS2.png

Man that is SO much better than anything they ever used it's just not funny! Love the primary which coming from dyed in the wool, or rather painted on the chest Claymores fans (Real NFLE fans will get that and YES I was one), that is praise indeed!

Have to say though I actually prefer the tweak that Steve-O did with regards the logotype, but only because it contains all three of the team colours. There are other, possibly more exciting ways to achieve it than with a keyline, but I always think it's a missed opportunity when logotypes don't use all the teams colours, it's something I see in a lot of the concepts on the board, and I'm sure that in the real world clients would pull designers up on that.

Massive improvement to what was (until the Sea Devils came along) certainly the weakest logo in NFLE. Great Work!

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

MONARCHS2.png

Man that is SO much better than anything they ever used it's just not funny! Love the primary which coming from dyed in the wool, or rather painted on the chest Claymores fans (Real NFLE fans will get that and YES I was one), that is praise indeed!

Have to say though I actually prefer the tweak that Steve-O did with regards the logotype, but only because it contains all three of the team colours. There are other, possibly more exciting ways to achieve it than with a keyline, but I always think it's a missed opportunity when logotypes don't use all the teams colours, it's something I see in a lot of the concepts on the board, and I'm sure that in the real world clients would pull designers up on that.

Massive improvement to what was (until the Sea Devils came along) certainly the weakest logo in NFLE. Great Work!

9erssteve

ta cuz,

i take your point about including the gold in the word, i just want it to be quite simple is all. im not keen on outlines for the sake of it. i think part of the problem is the logo itself is a bit too fiddly. ill come back to it tomorrow and redo it, taking out a bit of the fluff. if anyone else has issues, let me know.

No, I'm with you when it comes to simplicity, often times the simpler the better, I just like to see all colours used where possible. The old Monarchs identity went beyond simple into plain boring and unimaginative and even without the gold in the logotype you're miles from that so even without all the colours in the logotype it's still an enourmous improvement.

I really do love this one. It might be worth your while pitching this idea to the GB Lions American football team. I dunno what they use just now, (was never good enough to play for them so didn't pay much attention) but cant believe it's near as good as this.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

Man Fraser, this ain't my favorite of your concepts by a long shot, but it's still f***in' brilliant and better than many people could only dream of doing. Definite improvement and I'd love to see more concepts in the future from you, we don't get treated to them enough.

On to the C&C: part of me likes the red from the crest overflowing into the lion's mane, but part of me doesn't. I'm just not completely sold on it. I think with some simplifying and subtraction of some of the highlights it'd look a lot better, just the amount of white accents is really killing it for me, you should tone them down a bit, use them more sparingly.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

I love the logo, it's perfect for a British football team. However, the colours just don't seem right to me. I think the red and blue are competing too much with each other, and especially on the logo, which in my opinion doesn't need the red outline at all. Oddly, I think it looks a lot more effective placed on the jersey texture, perhaps because the red has been washed out a little. I'd like to see some colour variations, perhaps using a light blue instead of the red. Other than that though, the rendering of the lion in the crest is brilliant, a great compromise between British and American sport aesthetics. As per usual...

I love the logo, it's perfect for a British football team. However, the colours just don't seem right to me. I think the red and blue are competing too much with each other, and especially on the logo, which in my opinion doesn't need the red outline at all. Oddly, I think it looks a lot more effective placed on the jersey texture, perhaps because the red has been washed out a little. I'd like to see some colour variations, perhaps using a light blue instead of the red. Other than that though, the rendering of the lion in the crest is brilliant, a great compromise between British and American sport aesthetics. As per usual...

ta mate, im thinking the same sort of thing.

im almost entirely colour blind to be honest (which isnt massively helpful in my job, im sure you can imagine) so i really struggle with colour.

i tend to use four tones in my work, dark, mid pale and white. i was worried the red and blue were close.

im doing some alterations now, when im done i will make a number of colour ways.

They are much nicer. Of the five, the one on the right is my least favourite, there's almost too much going on. Of the five the two i'm most drawn to are the one on the left and the one in the center, with the one on the left more so. I think it's because they both appear cleaner perhaps due to the fact that the lion's face is better defined without the red?

Although the same can be said for the second from the left, the red and gold doesn't doesn't pop out as much as the blue. Perhaps a red lion on a silver/grey, with blue flair would work nicely? The blue is used on most team GB and England kits, but it would be just as patriotic as it'd resemble the St Georges flag somewhat.

Archived