Your Favorite Color Scheme?

Axis_of_Weasel

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yikes. So many brown fans? Brown is too dated, imo.

Just out of curiosity, when do you think brown is dated to? When you see a team wearing brown, what year does that look like to you?

200581745_tp.jpg

Look: not only are they wearing brown, but everything around them is brown! That's dated.

But to be serious, it's not brown that's dated in and of itself, but there is a certain brown/orange/yellow aesthetic that I associate with the 1970s. My elementary school's hallways had big brown/orange/yellow racing stripes along the walls, and my parents always commented on how dated those colors looked. (Since it was 1995, perhaps the stripes should've been redone in teal/purple/black. If I went back today, maybe they'd be three-tone blue.) Picture it: brown paneling, orange shag carpet, goldenrod vinyl chair. I think that the San Diego Padres ahd these colors and sacked them for more contemporary ones reinforces the "datedness" of the brown.

On the other hand, I think the Browns look great in brown and orange. I don't know what I'm talking about.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The old Michigan Panthers had it right.

Maroon, Wine (?) and Powder Blue.

helmet-panthers.gif

close-- Champagne

Like several others, I like unusual color schemes.

-- Anything with lime green grabs me. I loved the Orlando Thunder's primary combo of lime green & dark blue, which was very similar to the WFL Portland Thunder scheme and the old pre-1972 Atlanta Hawks scheme. Don't forget the Amsterdam admirals had lime green as an accent along with their orange and navy. I still think a lime green/black with silver would work, or better still, lime green & purple.

-- I also have an affinity towards orange schemes, but only in an unusual context (that is, not with black or navy). Still like the Dolphins "coral" orange and aqua. The old Bucs scheme of light orange & red comes to mind, as does the older WFL Southern California Sun, with Orange & Magenta. Orange and white alone look good and could be used more, as could orange & silver. The Virginai Tech Hokies' orange and Chicago maroon ( almost brown) is a great original look.

-- Finally, I still like combos including aqua/teal/blue-green. The Mariners' navy and "seafoam green" with silver is probably the best example, but there's also the Marlins, the afore-mentioned Dolphins, the San Jose Sharks, and up till this year, the Jacksonville Jaguars. I miss the old plum & teal of the Anaheim Mighty ducks, and the basic teal& purple look of the Hornets when they were in Charlotte.

It is what it is.

Yikes. So many brown fans? Brown is too dated, imo.

Just out of curiosity, when do you think brown is dated to? When you see a team wearing brown, what year does that look like to you?

Brown is very vintage. It was considered horrific by most until the recent surge. It made a comeback, as retro in general did. From about 2005-2007 brown was huge in modern style. Now? It's dead again, and no one with an ounce of taste is sporting it.

It'll come back in again, but as of now the curtains closing on it once again. I don't know of a specific era, but look at Wyoming's uniforms, the Browns, etc. Those are considered the ugliest duds in sports for a reason. That reason? Brown. But mostly because it's so out dated. I'm sure at one point those uniforms looked acceptable. They're not going to be selling many jerseys though, no matter who they have on their team.

It'll come back in again, but as of now the curtains closing on it once again. I don't know of a specific era, but look at Wyoming's uniforms, the Browns, etc. Those are considered the ugliest duds in sports for a reason. That reason? Brown.

Who exactly considers those uniforms the "ugliest duds" in sports? I think a majority of people on this board would consider those beautiful classics. But, maybe I am wrong.

It'll come back in again, but as of now the curtains closing on it once again. I don't know of a specific era, but look at Wyoming's uniforms, the Browns, etc. Those are considered the ugliest duds in sports for a reason. That reason? Brown.

Who exactly considers those uniforms the "ugliest duds" in sports? I think a majority of people on this board would consider those beautiful classics. But, maybe I am wrong.

Being a design based forum, I'd hope we're up enough on trends to not think the Browns have nice unis. Though I just got here, so I'm not sure. Classics? Sure. Aesthetically pleasing? No way.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/9270605/

http://needsofthemany.blogspot.com/2008/02...rms-5-best.html

The Browns are notorious for having the ugliest uniform in sports by casual fans. It being "classic" shouldn't matter. Sort of like the Packers. Sure, it's a classic uniform but that horrendous color combo died in the 70s and never made a comeback. And hopefully never will.

All that second link proves is that someone somewhere likes modern uniforms except for the Bears because he likes the Bears.

I just found 2 quick links via google. The first one is a random survey with over 1,000 people. The 2nd one was just to show it's a popular opinion. No matter what type of jerseys people like- modern, traditional, etc- everyone can agree- the brown turd uniforms are the poo of all sports kits.

My favorite obscure color combo is brown & light blue. To my knowledge, Tufts University is the only college or pro team (on any level) that uses it. Too bad it usually gets wasted on such generic unis. I know they're a small school, but the execution could be much better than it is here...

0D2H8720.jpg

I tend to favor "earthy" colors (brown, burgundy, maroon, forest green) paired with either light blue or a shade of gold. I've used that formula for pretty much every fantasy concept I've ever done.

some of my favorite "real world" examples:

-Western Michigan (brown & metallic gold)

-Wyoming (brown & yellow-gold)

-Colorado Rapids (maroon & light blue)

-Tulane (forest & light blue)

-Redskins "spear" throwbacks (burgundy & old gold)

EDIT: I see that within the time it took me to make this post, more anti-brown knee-jerking has commenced :rolleyes:

chris-griffin.jpeg

BROWN IS THE COLOR OF POO

Didn't the Buffalo Braves do brown/columbia, or was that just a concept? Would've been a good Memphis Grizzlies color scheme, come to think of it. Grizzly bear brown (or Mississippi mud) and Beale Street blue.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Being a design based forum, I'd hope we're up enough on trends to not think the Browns have nice unis. Though I just got here, so I'm not sure. Classics? Sure. Aesthetically pleasing? No way.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/9270605/

http://needsofthemany.blogspot.com/2008/02...rms-5-best.html

The Browns are notorious for having the ugliest uniform in sports by casual fans. It being "classic" shouldn't matter. Sort of like the Packers. Sure, it's a classic uniform but that horrendous color combo died in the 70s and never made a comeback. And hopefully never will.

That's the thing...we ain't casual fans up in here.

Welcome to the design-based forum...where nice, aesthetically pleasing classic uniforms can be brown and orange. Or green and yellow. (BTW, the Edmonton Eskimos, Norfolk State Spartans, and the University of Alaska-Anchorage Seawolves would like to have a word with you.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived