Memphis Final Four Appereance and wins record to be vacated

jkrdevil

You know that great national championship game a couple years ago that came down to the final shot? It didn't happen.

According to ESPN it looks like the NCAA will be vacating Memphis 2008 Final Four run and all wins from that season meaning they no longer are the record holder for most wins.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4410862

Congrats to John Calipari he is about to become the first coach to have Final Four appearances at two different school's vacated.

As an aside if your the NCAA and you have this coach with this history and this pops up, how do you not suspend him? If you are really serious about handing out punishments to stop this wouldn't handing down suspensions do that?

If this happens at Kentucky under Cal's watch, he's gonna really have some 'splainin' to do.

What I want to know is how in the :censored: can someone take someone else's SAT? Man, I could have made a killing doing that!

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I'm a bit more concerned with the impact this will/can/should have on Derrick Rose. It's certainly a black eye for Memphis' program, and John Calipari is no stranger to this kind of garbage. But I think Derrick Rose NEEDS to be held accountable and penalized for his actions. Simply removing Memphis' record just isn't good enough to me. I mean, they didn't win a national title, so really, nothing is being taken away from Memphis (aside from some credibility and PR points, and the whole 38-wins business). Meanwhile, Derrick Rose is able to basically cheat his way to the NBA? Come on now.

Rose is a budding superstar in one of the largest NBA markets... this has to be a huge PR hit for them to have this guy tied to academic dishonesty. Considering he flubbed his way to Memphis, he had no business being on that kind of stage to get that kind of attention and thus, wind up the top pick in the draft. I think the NBA has to come down on Rose in some fashion, just as a measure toward ensuring future players don't try and cheat their way to the league. The NCAA and NBA need to be on the same page with something as serious as this (because, let's be real, it is quite serious). Merely taking away a program's past achievements isn't enough. Without a title to strip, who really cares if the program loses a title-less 38-win season? Certainly Rose doesn't. Dock him significant pay, suspend him, force him to do X-amount of community service or even better, make him RETAKE the SATs and obtain some kind of respectable score legitimately during the season. Just SOMETHING to make future would-be cheaters think twice and go about things honestly. It's bad enough they're allowed to short-change college basketball with this one-and-done stuff, they shouldn't be allowed to ruin an entire program or a team's legacy in the process.

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

As an aside if your the NCAA and you have this coach with this history and this pops up, how do you not suspend him? If you are really serious about handing out punishments to stop this wouldn't handing down suspensions do that?

I think you just answered your own question.

And I'm guessing that Kentucky is banking on the NCAA showing preferential treatment to its premiere programs to help them when Cal dirties the water in Lexington.

I'm a bit more concerned with the impact this will/can/should have on Derrick Rose. It's certainly a black eye for Memphis' program, and John Calipari is no stranger to this kind of garbage. But I think Derrick Rose NEEDS to be held accountable and penalized for his actions. Simply removing Memphis' record just isn't good enough to me. I mean, they didn't win a national title, so really, nothing is being taken away from Memphis (aside from some credibility and PR points, and the whole 38-wins business). Meanwhile, Derrick Rose is able to basically cheat his way to the NBA? Come on now.

Rose is a budding superstar in one of the largest NBA markets... this has to be a huge PR hit for them to have this guy tied to academic dishonesty. Considering he flubbed his way to Memphis, he had no business being on that kind of stage to get that kind of attention and thus, wind up the top pick in the draft. I think the NBA has to come down on Rose in some fashion, just as a measure toward ensuring future players don't try and cheat their way to the league. The NCAA and NBA need to be on the same page with something as serious as this (because, let's be real, it is quite serious). Merely taking away a program's past achievements isn't enough. Without a title to strip, who really cares if the program loses a title-less 38-win season? Certainly Rose doesn't. Dock him significant pay, suspend him, force him to do X-amount of community service or even better, make him RETAKE the SATs and obtain some kind of respectable score legitimately during the season. Just SOMETHING to make future would-be cheaters think twice and go about things honestly. It's bad enough they're allowed to short-change college basketball with this one-and-done stuff, they shouldn't be allowed to ruin an entire program or a team's legacy in the process.

So I should be punished by my current employer if I broke a rule back in college? I understand why you're upset but I don't see the connection in the NBA punishing him for something that happened before he got there. And he didn't cheat his way into the NBA, he cheated his way into and out of college.

So I should be punished by my current employer if I broke a rule back in college? I understand why you're upset but I don't see the connection in the NBA punishing him for something that happened before he got there. And he didn't cheat his way into the NBA, he cheated his way into and out of college.

Which would be roughly the same as you lying on your resume.

I don't know about you, but I could be fired for that.

I could be but only if the lie was directly related to my work or if I wouldn't have received the job without the lie. If you think he wouldn't be in the NBA without having done what he did, then the argument has merit. I don't think the requirements for a "job" in the NBA are all that stringent.

Kinda silly that Rose needed to take the SAT to go to college in the first place. What, to make sure he was (snort) smart enough? He was there to put balls in hoops and dollars in university coffers for a year, and aced both of those courses. We don't make prospective engineering students play the Haydn concerto, and we don't make people hit a baseball at culinary school. Why bother quantifying academic aptitude for athletes? If you're gonna make as flagrant a mockery of American tertiary education as the NCAA does with revenue-generating sports, you may as well go all out and eliminate all pretense.

As for the parallel being drawn between the falsified SAT and lying on a resume, I'd contend the parallel diverges when you consider that the Bulls in no way hired Derrick Rose on the basis of his SAT scores, whereas everything on a resume is likely to be taken into consideration.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

But, does that mean they didn't deserve the #1 seed? :D

I guess willmorris was right after all, huh?

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

So...with all this having been said and done, how long until we start hearing folks lobbying for David Stern to repeal the NBA's 19-year-old minimum age limit for draftees?

When that first came out, I can remember a multitude of opinions, many of them pretty much saying that would lead to many more one-and-done college ballers...such as Derrick Rose. Not saying one directly lead to the other, but who's to say that it didn't play a part?

(And OBTW, I really could care less about all this...just figured I'd toss that point out there for the more knowledgeable/interested people in Creamerland to debate and discuss.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I have a problem with the NBA's age limit. I think they should adopt a policy more like MLB's - allow drafting out of high school, but once you go to college, you're ineligible for three years.

Bingo. You're either in college for the long term, or you're not at all. The one-and-done system isn't benefiting anyone.

VmWIn6B.png

I could be but only if the lie was directly related to my work or if I wouldn't have received the job without the lie. If you think he wouldn't be in the NBA without having done what he did, then the argument has merit. I don't think the requirements for a "job" in the NBA are all that stringent.

Your employer is more lenient than most. My current contract includes a morals clause, and fraud of any kind violates it. Not necessarily an automatic termination, but I sure could be fired for lying about anything on my resume.

But are you suggesting that Rose's record of college basketball didn't have anything at all to do with his finding a job in the NBA?

Archived