Pirates wearing 1979 throwbacks vs Reds today

risio

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are celebrating all weekend, so I wonder if it'll be the same set or at least different hats. This yellow jersey could be an alt in today's cuts (as with a black one like it). The thing with pull overs as throwbacks today is that they are so baggy, the v-neck goes to the middle of the player's chest.

KISSwall09.jpg

This whole "if it's a pullover, make it several sizes bigger than it's marked" thing Majestic has going on just baffles me. Not only does it infect the TBTC pullovers, it's the BP jerseys, too. For example, I'm very comfortable in a size 46 game jersey, but swim in the BP and drown in the TBTC pullover. Very odd.

Does anybody know if there's an actual reason the throwback pullovers always end up so huge?

I believe that the uniforms are produced in well in advance of the games. Given the volitility of MLB rosters, they have no way to "tailor" them to the individual players in time. (Specificly the away teams players. Those are much harder to verifiy prior to Throwback games)

"Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc!:  "After this, therefore, because of this."

f3dca0b9-3d53-4cd3-b468-7ac58806b3dc.png

Pirates uniforms: close. The names on the back didn't have a white outline, and they wore black pillbox caps with the yellow jerseys. They only wore the yellow caps with the black jerseys.

Otherwise, they look great. Reminds me of when I first started watching baseball as a kid.

In addition the comments by AndrewG70, the stripes on the shirt sleeeves were much wider on the original jerseys.

The yellow hats with the yellow jersey really stood out to anyone that followed the Pirates during the 70's and 80's.

Does anybody know if there's an actual reason the throwback pullovers always end up so huge?

I believe that the uniforms are produced in well in advance of the games. Given the volitility of MLB rosters, they have no way to "tailor" them to the individual players in time. (Specificly the away teams players. Those are much harder to verifiy prior to Throwback games)

It can't be that, because the sizes on the pullovers don't correspond to the sizes on the button-ups. When I was at the team store at Angels Stadium, they had a bunch of the late-70's Angels authentic throwbacks for sale (they had played in them like 7-10 days before). I normally wear a 48 in the button-ups, but the 48 pullover was the equivalent of a 52. I had my girlfriend hold up the 2 jerseys back-to-back to make sure I wasn't delusional about it.

Majestic is labeling pullovers as a full-size off from their true size. There is too much evidence to the contrary.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

It can't be that, because the sizes on the pullovers don't correspond to the sizes on the button-ups. When I was at the team store at Angels Stadium, they had a bunch of the late-70's Angels authentic throwbacks for sale (they had played in them like 7-10 days before). I normally wear a 48 in the button-ups, but the 48 pullover was the equivalent of a 52. I had my girlfriend hold up the 2 jerseys back-to-back to make sure I wasn't delusional about it.

Majestic is labeling pullovers as a full-size off from their true size. There is too much evidence to the contrary.

Well the proceedures I quoted where based on Russel Athletic many years ago. Possily with the current company they just decided to go with "generic" sizes and tried to match the player with a size, then add the numbers and letters. I remember seeing pictures of a trowback "nergo" game in Detroit where several Tigers looked almost comical in way-oversized uniforms. Perhaps it's just plain lazyness. Or just a coporate mentality... :/

"Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc!:  "After this, therefore, because of this."

f3dca0b9-3d53-4cd3-b468-7ac58806b3dc.png

Oh yes they should've.

That said, I would endorse an alternate consisting of black hats, black jerseys with yellow names and white numbers, and yellow pants with a black stripe. Steelerpirates.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

They never should have gotten rid of those unis!

Seriously, dude? I mean they look "cool" in a "hey, this is what they wore when they won the World Series" kind of way, but there is no way in hell that a major league outfit should take the field 81 times per season in this get up.

Hell, beer league softball teams shouldn't trot out in this get up on the regular.

You wear a uniform like this, I bet you get a free bowl of soup, huh? Oh, it's looks good on you though. :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

The Reds numbers are pretty thin. It looks like the wordmark is bold, while the numbers are not.

Why can't Majestic get this stuff right? Where is the large lettering for the player names? It's not like they can't find proper examples of old uniforms.

57140c.jpg

587b.jpg

Pure laziness by Majestic.

e32dab12-32d2-447d-814b-33cd3ed82c0c.jpg

love the pirates uniforms, i thought i wouldnt like the black pants but i actually do on this set. i dont like the pillbox hat, but if they used those hats in regular 5950 with the black alt or somehting , with out the lines on it it would be really nice looking. the pirates need a modern yellow alt too because it looks great. i dont mind the baggyness because im 17 and HATE tight clothes so i can feel for the players....who wants to wear skin tight stuff when playing sports?

Mets, Jets, Islanders

love the pirates uniforms, i thought i wouldnt like the black pants but i actually do on this set. i dont like the pillbox hat, but if they used those hats in regular 5950 with the black alt or somehting , with out the lines on it it would be really nice looking. the pirates need a modern yellow alt too because it looks great. i dont mind the baggyness because im 17 and HATE tight clothes so i can feel for the players....who wants to wear skin tight stuff when playing sports?

Everybody in the NFL....

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived