Pirates wearing 1979 throwbacks vs Reds today

risio

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the Pirates wanted unis to represent their most recent World Series wins, they'd have an interesting set:

SLEEVED:

nl_1971_pittsburgh.gif

SLEEVELESS:

nl_1960_pittsburgh.gif

FUNKY '70S:

nl_1979_pittsburgh.gif

The total:

White jerseys: 3 (plain white, sleeveless white, pinstriped white)

Gray jerseys: 2 (plain white, sleeveless white)

Gold jerseys: 1

Black jerseys: 1

White pants: 2 (plain and pinstriped)

Gray pants: 1

Gold pants: 1

Black pants: 1

Hats: 4 (regular black, regular gold, black with gold stripes, gold with black stripes)

To sum up: 7 jerseys, 5 pairs of pants, 4 hats for (I think) 140 possible combinations over a 162-game season. The Pirates would have to hire a uniform coordinator just to decide what to wear each day.

Packers-2.png

If the Pirates wanted unis to represent their most recent World Series wins, they'd have an interesting set:

SLEEVED:

nl_1971_pittsburgh.gif

SLEEVELESS:

nl_1960_pittsburgh.gif

FUNKY '70S:

nl_1979_pittsburgh.gif

The total:

Hats: 4 (regular black, regular gold, black with gold stripes, gold with black stripes)

To sum up: 7 jerseys, 5 pairs of pants, 4 hats for (I think) 140 possible combinations over a 162-game season. The Pirates would have to hire a uniform coordinator just to decide what to wear each day.

Don't forget the 4 different pairs of socks.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

SLEEVED:

nl_1971_pittsburgh.gif

SLEEVELESS:

nl_1960_pittsburgh.gif

FUNKY '70S:

nl_1979_pittsburgh.gif

The total:

Socks: 4 pairs (1960, 1971, 1979 gold, 1979 black)

Don't forget the 4 different pairs of socks.

Fixed. Which would take it up to 560 different combinations, except that the striped hats would have to go with the funky '70s combinations (so would the gold and black pants), which takes it down to ... fewer.

Actually, I think it would be 78 different combinations -- 32 out of the '60/'71 group, 36 out of the '79 group. That's much better. (Where's that sarcasm emoticon?)

Packers-2.png

Last year, I got MLB's DVD set of the 1979 World Series (not that I'm a Pirates or Orioles fan per se, but that was the first World Series I watched as a fan growing up). I noticed some very interesting observations on the uniforms of both teams:

- The Pirates wordmark on the bumblebee and black jerseys is noticeably taller than the one on their yellow jerseys.

- The Pirates name and number font on the bumblebee and black jerseys is different than the one on their yellow jerseys. (The Orioles also had different name/number fonts on their white jerseys versus their gray and orange jerseys.)

- The Pirates' black jerseys were made of mesh.

- You didn't see it in the World Series, but the Pirates wore their bumblebee jerseys on the road as well as at home.

- Game seven represented MLB's ultimate eyesore, with the Pirates wearing yellow jerseys/black pants and the Orioles wearing orange jerseys. Makes you glad the White Sox/Astros World Series matchup took place in 2005 and not 1978.

64bb3b97-d22e-447e-a20b-5ea016f872a8.jpg

That just... No. No. God, no.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Didn't the Pirates wear black caps with their gold jerseys, and if I remember correctly, on the pant stripes, shouldn't they have two gold stripes and a "black" stripe on the black pants?

Yeah they were wearing the wrong caps. Actually, Kent Tekulve pointed that out in the post game show. He was explaining the whole system behind the color coordination with those jerseys. Even so, the gold caps were interesting to see with the gold jerseys. It sort of reminded me of this Penguins' set:

mario-lemieux.jpg

No matter what the topic, someone will always find a way to bring up hockey...it's like John Buccigross doing SportsCenter.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Well, it was a weekend long celebration and today both teams were clad in...their normal unis. Reds - normal roads. Pirates - normal Sunday sleeveless pinstripes from last year.

KISSwall09.jpg

Didn't the Pirates wear black caps with their gold jerseys, and if I remember correctly, on the pant stripes, shouldn't they have two gold stripes and a "black" stripe on the black pants?

You're absolutely right. Gotta love the attention to detail on the part of MLB. Slackers! Get it right!!!

piratesreds.png

Take a good look at those Pirates uniforms "modernizers" and "updaters" because this is exactly what the :censored: you're all in love with today is going to look like to you in 10 years. In 1979 there were people who actually thought "wow, now that's a modern look." :D

BB52Big.jpg

Those Pirates uniforms were OK (I guess) in the '70s, when they were worn (mostly) on artificial turf in '70s-era multi-purpose stadiums, like Three Rivers. Today, they clash badly with a contrived-retro stadium like PNC, with it's nicely manicured grass, and light-gold limestone walls (see picture above).

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived