2009-2010 NHL Season

njmeadowlanders

they just started today the building of the ice rink at Fenway Park.

with that in mind, who do you think will play in the 2011 winter classic (and the stadium it will be at). i think one of the teams will be the washington capitals.

so long and thanks for all the fish.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Washington Capitals vs New York Rangers @ Yankee Stadium is the one that seems kind of obvious.

Minnesota Wild vs St. Louis Blues @ Busch Stadium as a wild card.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

New Years will fall on a Saturday in 2011 so I could really see two Canadian teams in it if they move Hockey Day in Canada to that day.

Montreal vs. Ottawa at Frank Clair if it's decent.

Vancouver vs. Toronto at BMO Field.

Edmonton vs. Calgary at Commonwealth or McMahon.

This is more of a pipe dream then anything.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

New Years will fall on a Saturday in 2011 so I could really see two Canadian teams in it if they move Hockey Day in Canada to that day.

Montreal vs. Ottawa at Frank Clair if it's decent.

Vancouver vs. Toronto at BMO Field.

Edmonton vs. Calgary at Commonwealth or McMahon.

This is more of a pipe dream then anything.

Frank Clair Stadium won't be ready until at least 2013.

I guess the Sens & Habs would have to play this one at McGill Stadium.

thecatch.jpg

Apparently the Leafs tried to lobby for one at BMO Field, but the NHL turned it down, citing it as to small.

Also, apparently the NHL wants to use the Winter Classic as a tool to attract American fans, so I doubt we'll see a Canadian team in it any time soon (even if the first one was a Canadian invention).

Apparently the Leafs tried to lobby for one at BMO Field, but the NHL turned it down, citing it as to small.

Also, apparently the NHL wants to use the Winter Classic as a tool to attract American fans, so I doubt we'll see a Canadian team in it any time soon (even if the first one was a Canadian invention).

I think the WC is the one thing that actually gets them pretty good ratings for hockey on NBC, so yeah, they'll probably want to keep it in the states.

That wasn't a Winter Classic, it was the Heritage Classic. And it also wasn't the first NHL game outside, LA and NYR played an outdoor exhibition game in Las Vegas in 93.

It wasn't like the country of Canada "invented" outdoor NHL games and the Americans stole it. It's the same league producing both.

Jets vs Nordiques at CanadInns II in 2012.

Also, Daniel Sedin scored the Canucks' FIRST THREE goals last night, singlehandedly beating the Mighty Thrashers. Didn't see it, because I refuse to pay $16 for a PPV game.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Jets vs Nordiques at CanadInns II in 2012.

Also, Daniel Sedin scored the Canucks' FIRST THREE goals last night, singlehandedly beating the Mighty Thrashers. Didn't see it, because I refuse to pay $16 for a PPV game.

Could've watched it online, ya know. As Bluto once said: "It don't cost nothin'...."

If you didn't see the highlights, it wasn't the prettiest of hat tricks. It took a couple faceoffs for the fans to realize that Daniel had scored three goals.....

Yes, I could have, but my daughter needed the computer for homework. I decided to be a good dad for once and let her use it.

In other news, her report on jellyfish was completed in record time.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

That wasn't a Winter Classic, it was the Heritage Classic. And it also wasn't the first NHL game outside, LA and NYR played an outdoor exhibition game in Las Vegas in 93.

It wasn't like the country of Canada "invented" outdoor NHL games and the Americans stole it. It's the same league producing both.

Lets see....teams playing in an outdoor arena, wearing throwbacks, in the snow....yeah that Habs/Oilers game sounds like a "Winter Classic" to me. It's pretty damn obvious that game was the impetus for the current annual Winter Classic.

generic winter classic discussion: "I want to see (insert favorite team) against (insert favorite team's biggest rival) at (insert local football or baseball stadium)"

With that logic:

"I want to see the St. Louis Eagles against the Seattle Metropolitans at Qwest Field."

:upside:

Lets see....teams playing in an outdoor arena, wearing throwbacks, in the snow....yeah that Habs/Oilers game sounds like a "Winter Classic" to me. It's pretty damn obvious that game was the impetus for the current annual Winter Classic.

What about Kings/Rangers in Vegas in '92?

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

The LA vs NYR Las Vegas game was in 1992, in 85F weather, and no throwbacks. The Heritage Classic was in 2003, in -18C (-30C with wind chill), and we got throwbacks. Which one sounds more like the event that inspired the NHL to start their Winter Classic tradition?

What about Kings/Rangers in Vegas in '92?

That was and exhibition game with no similar event for over 10 years. The regular season Heritage classic was redone soon after.

1zqy8ok.gif

Archived