2009-2010 NHL Season

njmeadowlanders

Do they need to match physicality in a league that encourages finesse? Playing to injure, as the Blues did, works now and then when you're a cellar team, but it's not a long-term strategy because eventually you'll just get penalized and scored upon too much to justify it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I keep running into that response. All I can say is, yep.

But that's why I don't want the Blues to stop playing that way even when the talent comes. Someday they'll be able to match the Hawks scoring. My hope is that the Hawks still won't be able to match the Blues physical presence.

You're assuming that the Blues will maintain their physical presence when they get better at producing points. Not saying they can't, but some teams can't make the transition from one without losing the other.

That's not playing to injure. It's playing to disturb. In a league that as you said is encouraging finesse, look at how the Blues game was approached by the officials last night. If you hit legally like they did (again, all except that stupid retaliation by Tkachuk) you're not going to be penalized. I thoroughly believe in playing that kind of a game. It doesn't get you penalties if you hit legally, like last night, it's gets the team retaliating penalties. Ideally you're PP doesn't squander all of them, though.

look at how the Blues game was approached by the officials last night.

I'd prefer not to; the good old three-minute power play causes too much cognitive dissonance.

Hawks scored 5 on Giguere tonight and led by as many before two garbage-timers. Girl power.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I keep running into that response. All I can say is, yep.

But that's why I don't want the Blues to stop playing that way even when the talent comes. Someday they'll be able to match the Hawks scoring. My hope is that the Hawks still won't be able to match the Blues physical presence.

You're assuming that the Blues will maintain their physical presence when they get better at producing points. Not saying they can't, but some teams can't make the transition from one without losing the other.

Less assuming, more hoping. I understand there's a reason why it's not done often. I just think it'd be effective if a team could do it. One reason I have for hope is that the Blues current young prospects are all the type that can score the highlight reel goal, but they won't back down from a physical challenge either.

How About Alex Kovalev's 5 Point Night. 4 Goals, 1 Assist. If only he played like he's capable of he'd be on Team Russia.

Just killing sometime and I went to Sportsclubstats.com to check on Playoff odds for the NHL and here are the most likely scenarios for the Playoff matchups. (Give or take a few points)

Eastern Conference

1 New Jersey 114pts

8 Philadelphia 87pts

4 Pittsburgh 99pts

5 Boston 98pts

3 Buffalo 107pts

6 Ottawa 91pts

2 Washington 108pts

7 Atlanta 88pts

Western Conference

1 Chicago 117pts

8 Los Angeles 96pts

4 Calgary 102pts

5 Phoenix 99pts

3 Vancouver 102pts

6 Colorado 99pts

2 San Jose 114pts

7 Nashville 97pts

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

How About Alex Kovalev's 5 Point Night. 4 Goals, 1 Assist. If only he played like he's capable of he'd be on Team Russia.

Just killing sometime and I went to Sportsclubstats.com to check on Playoff odds for the NHL and here are the most likely scenarios for the Playoff matchups. (Give or take a few points)

Eastern Conference

1 New Jersey 114pts

8 Philadelphia 87pts

4 Pittsburgh 99pts

5 Boston 98pts

3 Buffalo 107pts

6 Ottawa 91pts

2 Washington 108pts

7 Atlanta 88pts

Western Conference

1 Chicago 117pts

8 Los Angeles 96pts

4 Calgary 102pts

5 Phoenix 99pts

3 Vancouver 102pts

6 Colorado 99pts

2 San Jose 114pts

7 Nashville 97pts

Please no. The Sens have the Sabres number this year. I would be scared to play them.

saBS.png

Eastern Conference

1 New Jersey 114pts

8 Philadelphia 87pts

4 Pittsburgh 99pts

5 Boston 98pts

3 Buffalo 107pts

6 Ottawa 91pts

2 Washington 108pts

7 Atlanta 88pts

Western Conference

1 Chicago 117pts

8 Los Angeles 96pts

4 Calgary 102pts

5 Phoenix 99pts

3 Vancouver 102pts

6 Colorado 99pts

2 San Jose 114pts

7 Nashville 97pts

Two years without playoffs in Big D ... what a revolting thought.

Please do not become a reality ...

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

The only problem I have with these are the wide range of points. I know the East is not as superior as the West but of 27 points between the 1st seed and the 8th.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

The team is in a slump, and Kunitz is out.

Luca Caputi, your time has come.

A force up here in Wilkes-Barre. My wife will miss him, but she'll still root for him.

As for me? He's with the enemy now. Hope you get crushed, Luca...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Eastern Conference

1 New Jersey 114pts

8 Philadelphia 87pts

4 Pittsburgh 99pts

5 Boston 98pts

3 Buffalo 107pts

6 Ottawa 91pts

2 Washington 108pts

7 Atlanta 88pts

Western Conference

1 Chicago 117pts

8 Los Angeles 96pts

4 Calgary 102pts

5 Phoenix 99pts

3 Vancouver 102pts

6 Colorado 99pts

2 San Jose 114pts

7 Nashville 97pts

Any playoffs that has the Coyotes in it, I'll take.

BTW, another shutout for Broduer. He's just incredible.

in other hockey news, Team USA beat Canada 6-5 in overtime to win the World Juniors.

Reading's not a strong-suit of yours, is it?

I'm aware of the other thread specifically devoted to the World Juniors. Does one stray post really bother you that much?

Next time I'll be more careful to aim my post content to the appropriate topic so as not to anger Hedley Lamarr. No, USA winning the world juniors was not a big enough deal for it show up in more than one topic and the NHL season thread is not the over-arching umbrella for hockey coverage on the board. How silly of me.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I'm aware of the other thread specifically devoted to the World Juniors. Does one stray post really bother you that much?

Next time I'll be more careful to aim my post content to the appropriate topic so as not to anger Hedley Lamarr. No, USA winning the world juniors was not a big enough deal for it show up in more than one topic and the NHL season thread is not the over-arching umbrella for hockey coverage on the board. How silly of me.

Not to be a wise-ass, but shouldn't your avatar have at least one more jacket?

Blue + Jacket = Blue Jacket

Then again, I didn't major in Mathematics. But I did get a "5" on the AP Calculus exam years ago...

Archived