Mets uniform changes

SPORTSDOCTOR

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no problem with a cream with pinstripe look that Seaver was wearing in the picture.

But I want the Mets script to stay the block letter NY is hideous its not the Mets.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I guess I shouldn't be surprised but if what Lukas said about the black drop-shadow remaining on the new retro pinstripe jersey is accurate I just don't know why they bothered. I would absolutely without a doubt buy an authentic retro pinstripe jersey without the black, but with the black drop-shadow I won't even think about it. You can't get more clueless than doing a survey of your fans and then acting on the results but still screwing up the end result.

mets.png

Everyone needs to go a little easier on the Mets. I am a DIE HARD Mets fan, and I mean that in the truest sense of the word. You would be hard pressed to find a bigger Mets fan than me and I am also a 15 game plan holder and fairly disgruntled by the way this season turned out. I think Jeff and Fred are just as inept as the rest of you and also think that they've been a mess identity-wise for the past 12 years...

BUT

they deserve a break on this one. Give them some credit. They did listen to the fans on this for the most part. Now, we still don't know what will be the end result of this. All indications, considering Rubin's report, is for a cream pinstripe and the snow whites as is. I have to believe that SOMETHING is going to be done with the black. Either completely eliminated, or less likely, a blue alternate. But a cream pinstripe gives them an old-school look, with presumably no black drop shadow, and gets everyone one step closer to what they want. Remember, the world champions currently have both a white and cream home uni set, so it's unfair to call them out on that when everyone went gaga over the Phillies' throwbacks.

As far as the pinstripes debate, no the pinstripes stay. I'm sorry, but Mets fans have to get the hell over the Yankees stuff and see that pinstripes have been in Mets tradition since 1962. Seaver wore 'em, Doc wore 'em, Piazza, Straw, Hojo, Koosman, Kingman, Mays and everyone in between. The Yankees have their pinstripes and we have ours. They can co-exist. They have for almost 5 decades.

EDIT: Supposedly Paul Lukas has confirmed that the new pinstripes will have a black dropshadow. L-A-M-E!

It is lame...but your signature includes the black dropshadow too. I know you didn't intend for that, but I'm just being a wiseass as usual...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

And thank you pucker.

If I see one more mention with some completely misguided soul here making a claim that the Mets should drop the pinstripe look simply because the Yankees wear them, I will go beyond being in an apoplectic state.

People wake up please - particularly those of you who aren't Mets fans and have little knowledge of the Mets history.

The Mets DID NOT include a pinstriped look at anytime in their history because it was something the guys in the Bronx wore - you got that?

The Mets don't wear pinstripes to counter the Yankees look anymore than my Rockies do here in Denver, any more than the Phillies do, any more than the Astros do, or the Pirates sometimes.

They have had pinstripes for almost 50 years and it NEVER had anything to do with, or paying homage to, the Yankees, the way the Blue & Orange color scheme did to the Dodgers & Giants.

With all that said, it says here, that it should be against the law to have Fred & Jeff Wilpon own the NY Mets, and equipment manager, Charlie Samuals needed to be fired about 10 years ago, or just about the time he suggested and was approved to have the Mets include the black on their uniforms.

I have the game program in front of me as I type these words from the 1998 season where it explains in detail how Samuals went to the Mets with this brilliant idea for black, because he thought that the Miami Dolphins and SF 49ERS looked very good with the then newly incorporated black accents on their uniforms.

The Mets suck - and so do their uniforms, and their stadium, and their manager, their GM, their bullpen catcher, their ticket takers,their outfield walls, their ushers, their grounds crew...and on and on.

And thank you pucker.

If I see one more mention with some completely misguided soul here making a claim that the Mets should drop the pinstripe look simply because the Yankees wear them, I will go beyond being in an apoplectic state.

People wake up please - particularly those of you who aren't Mets fans and have little knowledge of the Mets history.

The Mets DID NOT include a pinstriped look at anytime in their history because it was something the guys in the Bronx wore - you got that?

The Mets don't wear pinstripes to counter the Yankees look anymore than my Rockies do here in Denver, any more than the Phillies do, any more than the Astros do, or the Pirates sometimes.

First off, I was a huge Mets fan starting in 1981. They were my team in the NL until about 2000. And if I owned the Mets, they would wear uniforms that look almost exactly like either the '69 Mets or the '86 Mets.

But let me be clear about what I am and am not saying about the utility of dropping the pinstripes. I've never, ever heard anyone claim that the Mets wear pinstripes to pay homage to the Yankees, or to counter the Yankees. I also don't think the Mets should drop pinstripes "because the Yankees wear them."

I do think it would be a good branding decision for the Mets to drop the pinstripes because, thanks to the Yankees, the Mets will never, ever be anyone's first response when asked to name the baseball team in New York famous for wearing pinstripes. Also because the Mets already have an excellent non-pinstripe home white uniform. But as a matter of brand identity, the Mets would be better off without the pinstripes, because just as the Yankees own the pinstripe look in New York, the Mets have an opportunity to own any given non-pinstripe look. (In fact, this is partly why I like the '86 uniforms: the racing stripes provide vivid differentiation from the Yankees.)

None of this is to say that the Mets should drop the pinstripes. But it's undeniably true that if your only goal were to maximize the brand value of a baseball team in New York other than the Yankees, you would not in a million years adopt pinstriped uniforms. And since the Mets are in fact engaged in a rebranding effort, and since a large part of any Mets rebranding effort must necessarily focus on differentiating them from the Yankees, even those of us who like the Mets in pinstripes need to face up to the reality that ditching pinstripes is not merely a defensible idea but almost certainly a good idea from a branding perspective. Not necessarily the only choice, or even the right choice all things considered, but an option that must be strongly considered.

20082614447.png

Everyone needs to go a little easier on the Mets. I am a DIE HARD Mets fan, and I mean that in the truest sense of the word. You would be hard pressed to find a bigger Mets fan than me and I am also a 15 game plan holder and fairly disgruntled by the way this season turned out. I think Jeff and Fred are just as inept as the rest of you and also think that they've been a mess identity-wise for the past 12 years...

BUT

they deserve a break on this one. Give them some credit. They did listen to the fans on this for the most part. Now, we still don't know what will be the end result of this. All indications, considering Rubin's report, is for a cream pinstripe and the snow whites as is. I have to believe that SOMETHING is going to be done with the black. Either completely eliminated, or less likely, a blue alternate. But a cream pinstripe gives them an old-school look, with presumably no black drop shadow, and gets everyone one step closer to what they want. Remember, the world champions currently have both a white and cream home uni set, so it's unfair to call them out on that when everyone went gaga over the Phillies' throwbacks.

As far as the pinstripes debate, no the pinstripes stay. I'm sorry, but Mets fans have to get the hell over the Yankees stuff and see that pinstripes have been in Mets tradition since 1962. Seaver wore 'em, Doc wore 'em, Piazza, Straw, Hojo, Koosman, Kingman, Mays and everyone in between. The Yankees have their pinstripes and we have ours. They can co-exist. They have for almost 5 decades.

EDIT: Supposedly Paul Lukas has confirmed that the new pinstripes will have a black dropshadow. L-A-M-E!

It is lame...but your signature includes the black dropshadow too. I know you didn't intend for that, but I'm just being a wiseass as usual...

No, I know. That's always bothered me, too. I actually lifted those images straight from the survey at the beginning of the summer. And I didn't want to embarress myself by altering them on MS Paint so you guys could all see how talentless I am at Photoshop haha. But that's a great point. In the survey, they options they gave all had the dropshadow. The road, the home, the snow whites, even the blue. It's ridiculous. It's like they're committed to the wordmark looking like it was made it Wordart on Microsoft Word. And for the record, I completel support anyone being a wiseass. haha. It's in my nature as well.

sig2024.png

I do think it would be a good branding decision for the Mets to drop the pinstripes because, thanks to the Yankees, the Mets will never, ever be anyone's first response when asked to name the baseball team in New York famous for wearing pinstripes.

And how many times a year does such a pop quiz take place? That's the criterier? (h/t Lee Elia)

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

ideal_mets_unis.png

Speaking of pop quizzes...

True or false: This uni set would make the Mets one of the league's best dressed. Why can't they do this?!?!

They can't do this because it makes too much sense and the marketing types in the organization would think that anything that easy was bound to be bad somehow.

I've said it over and over but I'll say it again, just because we have the technology to do multiple outlined numbers and letters with drop shadows doesn't make it good design. In most cases, simple is better.

ideal_mets_unis.png

True or false: This uni set would make the Mets one of the league's best dressed. Why can't they do this?!?!

They can't do this because it makes too much sense and the marketing types in the organization would think that anything that easy was bound to be bad somehow.

I've said it over and over but I'll say it again, just because we have the technology to do multiple outlined numbers and letters with drop shadows doesn't make it good design. In most cases, simple is better.

+ A Million...though I prefer the Mets with NOB's...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

And thank you pucker.

They have had pinstripes for almost 50 years and it NEVER had anything to do with, or paying homage to, the Yankees, the way the Blue & Orange color scheme did to the Dodgers & Giants.

With all that said, it says here, that it should be against the law to have Fred & Jeff Wilpon own the NY Mets, and equipment manager, Charlie Samuals needed to be fired about 10 years ago, or just about the time he suggested and was approved to have the Mets include the black on their uniforms.

I have the game program in front of me as I type these words from the 1998 season where it explains in detail how Samuals went to the Mets with this brilliant idea for black, because he thought that the Miami Dolphins and SF 49ERS looked very good with the then newly incorporated black accents on their uniforms.

The Mets suck - and so do their uniforms, and their stadium, and their manager, their GM, their bullpen catcher, their ticket takers,their outfield walls, their ushers, their grounds crew...and on and on.

Quick Correct just to be picky, the Dolphins accent is Navy not Black. :)

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

ideal_mets_unis.png

Dump the snow-white home alt and THEN it's perfect.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Dump the snow-white home alt and THEN it's perfect.

Dump either one and it'd be perfect. Or make them both either bright white or cream, but not one of each, and it'd be perfect. Or make them both cream, then dump the pinstripes, and it'd be perfect.

The bottom lines for the Mets are:

1. If you'd just simplify a bit, you have several basically perfect uniforms already in hand, but until you pick one and stick with it, you'll remain the ugliest team in baseball; and

2. You know what's uglier and stupider than a blue team randomly splashing a bunch of black on its uniforms? Mismatched home uniforms in two different, clashing shades of white. I mean, fer crikeysake, it's white. It's the equivalent of a chef who can't decide which kind of white bread he prefers, Wonder sandwich bread or store-brand hamburger buns, so he makes a sandwich with one slice of each. A team that can't even get the color white right is a team that will not soon be winning any pennants.

Which actually raises bottom line number 3 for the Mets:

3. You know you're a crap team when people can use the phrase "Even the Nats ..." about you. In this case, even the Nats are able to wear a consistent shade of white.

20082614447.png

Archived