Mets uniform changes

SPORTSDOCTOR

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the Brooklyn Dodgers allure is quote obvious really. They were the anti-Yankees through the 20s and 30s and when they got good they became a natural post season rival. Think of the Dodgers as like the Red Sox nowadays. But on top of that to Brooklynites the Dodgers became the representatives of a small borough that had been sussumed into the city of New York. Brooklyn maintained its scrappy, maligned image, and that was reflected in the baseball team. For the Dodgers therefore the Yankees were the big city glamourous rivals.

(Its actually hard to think of a place less like Brooklyn than Los Angeles!)

Yeah, I understand what you are saying. That being said I think if you take what the Dodgers actually have transformed into while being out in LA, there's nothing more LA then the Dodgers IMO. Its a tale of two distinctly different teams. It intriguing when you think about what how much the city that a team plays in really molds the indentity of a franchise.

I think the Brooklyn Dodgers allure is quote obvious really. They were the anti-Yankees through the 20s and 30s and when they got good they became a natural post season rival. Think of the Dodgers as like the Red Sox nowadays. But on top of that to Brooklynites the Dodgers became the representatives of a small borough that had been sussumed into the city of New York. Brooklyn maintained its scrappy, maligned image, and that was reflected in the baseball team. For the Dodgers therefore the Yankees were the big city glamourous rivals.

(Its actually hard to think of a place less like Brooklyn than Los Angeles!)

Yeah, I understand what you are saying. That being said I think if you take what the Dodgers actually have transformed into while being out in LA, there's nothing more LA then the Dodgers IMO. Its a tale of two distinctly different teams. It intriguing when you think about what how much the city that a team plays in really molds the indentity of a franchise.

Absolutely. I think if they were still in Brooklyn, the Dodgers would be my favourite baseball team, but I have a distaste for the glitz and glamor of LA and thats what the Dodgers seem to have become, so I am left a bit antipathetic towards them.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Okay, here is what I would do if I were the Mets.

Home- plain white, with blue and orange, no black at all. Blue hat with orange NY monogram

road- plain grey, trims as home, hat as home

alternate- all cream, possibly pinstripes, but would prefer plain, possibly with 'metropolitans' written across front to emphaisize retro feel, possibly add orange bill to otherwise plain royal hat, with orange NY.

road alternate- blue shirt with orange trims, same alternate hat as home alternate.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I love the Mets black hat with the blue brim.

Please don't hurt me.

On this episode of CCSLC's Most Wanted we track down Creamerites who like black in the Mets set :P

You know, if I were still a Mets fan, I'd also love the black Mets cap.

As a fashion cap. For me to wear as a fan.

Just because a design might be a clever or fun thing to sell to fans, it doesn't follow that a team has to destroy its own uniforms by making the players wear it. My message to the Mets would be: Sell all the black merchandise you want. Wear only blue and orange.

I mean, heck, one of my favorite Twins caps is hunter orange with a black TC, but if the Twinkies ever adopted that as part of their uniforms, I'd start rooting for the White Sox. And much as I dig my green 5950 Nats cap, I don't want the Nats to add green to their uniforms. The same principle should apply to the Mets and the color black.

20082614447.png

Please don't hurt me.

On this episode of CCSLC's Most Wanted we track down Creamerites who like black in the Mets set :P

Just because a design might be a clever or fun thing to sell to fans, it doesn't follow that a team has to destroy its own uniforms by making the players wear it. My message to the Mets would be: Sell all the black merchandise you want. Wear only blue and orange.

I mean, heck, one of my favorite Twins caps is hunter orange with a black TC, but if the Twinkies ever adopted that as part of their uniforms, I'd start rooting for the White Sox. And much as I dig my green 5950 Nats cap, I don't want the Nats to add green to their uniforms. The same principle should apply to the Mets and the color black.

I still think that the most blasphemous thing that they did was to recolor the Team Skyline logo. That was terrible! I know it was supposed to be a "New York at Night" thing, or at least that was the rumor, but it was gawd awful. I haven't seen it lately so hopefully they got rid of that eyesore of a logo.

Please don't hurt me.

I still think that the most blasphemous thing that they did was to recolor the Team Skyline logo. That was terrible! I know it was supposed to be a "New York at Night" thing, or at least that was the rumor, but it was gawd awful. I haven't seen it lately so hopefully they got rid of that eyesore of a logo.

AGREED! If you remember from the 1998 version of the black alternate jersey, they actually used the original blue and orange skyline logo and, while all black in the Mets color scheme is terrible, it actually kind of felt like it made the jersey nicer. Like, "Yeah we know what our real colors are but this is just something different to adhere to the times." When they recolored the skyline logo black, it made my head spin. As of now, they barely use that logo anywhere. Only on the black alternate jersey.

One other piece to chatter. Saw these yesterday on the Mets shop site.

bluesweatshirt.jpg

blacksweatshirt.jpg

Those are the official Authentic Collection 2010 sweatshirt (aka the 2009 playoff sweatshirt, which is usual MLB protocol. Use new sweatshirt design for the postseason and then have it adapted league-wide the following season). Is it me or does A) seeing it in JUST blue and orange make you feel so good and B) seeing the black with only orange writing is only mildly offensive. Like...obviously still not the Mets identity, but more of a shout out to the NY Giants. Still don't like it, but I thought it was interesting to look at that and say, "hmm...maybe black in their color scheme wouldn't have been terrible if executed differently."

sig2024.png

Please don't hurt me.

AGREED! If you remember from the 1998 version of the black alternate jersey, they actually used the original blue and orange skyline logo and, while all black in the Mets color scheme is terrible, it actually kind of felt like it made the jersey nicer. Like, "Yeah we know what our real colors are but this is just something different to adhere to the times." When they recolored the skyline logo black, it made my head spin. As of now, they barely use that logo anywhere. Only on the black alternate jersey.

One other piece to chatter. Saw these yesterday on the Mets shop site.

bluesweatshirt.jpg

blacksweatshirt.jpg

Those are the official Authentic Collection 2010 sweatshirt (aka the 2009 playoff sweatshirt, which is usual MLB protocol. Use new sweatshirt design for the postseason and then have it adapted league-wide the following season). Is it me or does A) seeing it in JUST blue and orange make you feel so good and B) seeing the black with only orange writing is only mildly offensive. Like...obviously still not the Mets identity, but more of a shout out to the NY Giants. Still don't like it, but I thought it was interesting to look at that and say, "hmm...maybe black in their color scheme wouldn't have been terrible if executed differently."

Let me once again rise in defense of a) the black and blue cap and B) black as a functional color within the Mets' scheme. Now, you'll not find me defending the use of the DROP SHADOW anywhere, in any form, but my Mets' set would still include a black alternate jersey and the black and blue cap.

I remember my first encounter with a black with blue bill Mets cap. It was 1991 at the Modell's in the Manhattan Mall. The hat was a fashion hat made by Sports Specialties. It looked like :censored: then and it looks like :censored: now. My dad who's been a Mets fan since 1962 (he's a former Brooklyn Dodgers fan) has constantly complained for the last ten years or so that black's been the seeming primary color of the Mets about how awful the black looks in the color scheme. Over that time his favorite line is "It's bad enough they're play on the field is an embarrassment but their uniforms seem to make it worse."

alternate- all cream, possibly pinstripes, but would prefer plain, possibly with 'metropolitans' written across front to emphaisize retro feel, possibly add orange bill to otherwise plain royal hat, with orange NY.

Yeah, except they've never been the "Metropolitans."

Pah mere details! <_<

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

bluesweatshirt.jpg

***TANGENT ALERT***

Am I the only one who has a hard time getting used to seeing baseball players wearing hooded sweathshirts in the dugout? To me, they just don't look like baseball apparel. Maybe that is because baseball players have been wearing the typical baseball jacket for longer than any (most?) of us have been alive.

NOTE -- I typed "alert" in all caps, and it shows up that way in the box where you type, but it keeps appearing in the post in lower case. Weird.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Bah, I say. A "Metropolitans" alt jersey with either Dodgers or Giants-style script would be fantastic. As would a Grays-style "Nats" alt jersey in Washington.

homestead-nats-jersey.png

It'd be a good thing for both teams to play around with their nicknames a bit.

20082614447.png

Bah, I say. A "Metropolitans" alt jersey with either Dodgers or Giants-style script would be fantastic. As would a Grays-style "Nats" alt jersey in Washington.

homestead-nats-jersey.png

It'd be a good thing for both teams to play around with their nicknames a bit.

I just have to make a comment regarding this whole idea revolving around the apparent "misuse" of "Metropolitans" when referring to the New York Mets.

Yes, although it is true that they have never officially been called the "Metropolitans", its pretty widely accepted as an alternative to "Mets" by their fan base and media for obvious reasons. Its also due to the original "Metropolitan Baseball Club of New York" from the late 1800's. The "Mets" name actually pays homage to that old club. Therefore it makes complete sense to use the nickname "Metropolitans" when referring to the team. Is it much different then when people call the New York Yankees the "Bronx Bombers"? They've never officially been called that but its still widely accepted by their fanbase, so why not the "Metropolitans"????

In regards to having an alt jersey I'm torn. Not sure if I'd like to see that happen in the same way that I'd never want to see the Yankees don a "Bronx Bombers" jersey. But its an interesting idea.

I just have to make a comment regarding this whole idea revolving around the apparent "misuse" of "Metropolitans" when referring to the New York Mets.

Yes, although it is true that they have never officially been called the "Metropolitans", its pretty widely accepted as an alternative to "Mets" by their fan base and media for obvious reasons. Its also due to the original "Metropolitan Baseball Club of New York" from the late 1800's. The "Mets" name actually pays homage to that old club. Therefore it makes complete sense to use the nickname "Metropolitans" when referring to the team. Is it much different then when people call the New York Yankees the "Bronx Bombers"? They've never officially been called that but its still widely accepted by their fanbase, so why not the "Metropolitans"????

In regards to having an alt jersey I'm torn. Not sure if I'd like to see that happen in the same way that I'd never want to see the Yankees don a "Bronx Bombers" jersey. But its an interesting idea.

I have no problem with people casually using the term "Metropolitans" anymore than, as you say, "Bombers." But I'd never want to see it on a jersey, any more than I'd want to see a jersey with "Pinstripers" across the chest.

Or "Bolts" for a team named "Lightning," for that matter, but we all know now professional league would stoop that low. :P

I have no problem with people casually using the term "Metropolitans" anymore than, as you say, "Bombers." But I'd never want to see it on a jersey, any more than I'd want to see a jersey with "Pinstripers" across the chest.

Or "Bolts" for a team named "Lightning," for that matter, but we all know now professional league would stoop that low. :P

I totally agree. Having "Metropolitans" on a jersey just wouldn't seem right for a number of reasons. I like it as a nickname per say, but not as an official identity. BTW, Pinstipers?....holy jeebus. If I ever see an MLB jersey with the name "Pinstripers" across the chest I think I might just pull an Oedipus and gouge my eyes out and swear off baseball for ever.

"Metropolitans" is much too large to legibly fit on a jersey, but I'm 100% in favor of more people calling them the Metropolitans often so as to hush some of the "durrrrr what's a met" thing, and because "Metropolitans" is a pretty neat nickname. I dig secondary (or are they tertiary?) baseball nicknames: Metropolitans, Bombers, Carmines, North Siders, South Siders, Halos, White Elephants, Bums, Gents, Phightins, Redbirds, Crew, Tribe, and any others I've missed. It adds another level of jargon.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Weird, I always assumed "Mets" was an abbreviation for like a longer official team name, kinda like how the NY Knicks are still officially the Knickerbockers or how the state of Rhode Island is officially Rhode Island and Providence Plantations.

What other teams are like that, where their official name is different/longer than the name we're more familiar with (not counting nicknames like the T-Wolves for the Minnesota Timberwolves, etc.)?

Archived