Jaguars considering playing some games in Orlando

B-Rich

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^^^

That is odd...and dissapointing. Doesn't quite look as bad as St. Louis, but still...

Curious how bad St. Louis looks?

I read a lot of people suggesting the dome was never louder than it was at times last Sunday. The Rams are competitive again. Fans are back, end of story. Once again, the Rams will not move because of fan support. We as fans don't have 200 million dollars to build a new stadium, so we'll see how that plays out, but ticket sales are not going to lead to the Rams move, period.

I can't help but take the bait once a month or so.

I think it was a reference to the photo at the top of the previous page from the Chiefs-Rams game that was predominantly red. Kansas City fans ... empty seats ... either way it was a bad visual, so "not as bad as St. Louis looks" might have just been a comparison of the Rams and Jaguars photos (which are very different angles, I might add). But I don't want to speak for Dust Devil.

I think it was a reference to the photo at the top of the previous page from the Chiefs-Rams game that was predominantly red. Kansas City fans ... empty seats ... either way it was a bad visual, so "not as bad as St. Louis looks" might have just been a comparison of the Rams and Jaguars photos (which are very different angles, I might add). But I don't want to speak for Dust Devil.

Yea, that was pretty much it...empty seats never look good when the team is decent (Jacksonville) or half-decent (St. Louis, pun intended if they do go 8-8) and blackouts are barely avoided. It's good in pointing out the whole angle thing, as well, but when you hear of a team being locally broadcasted in its market and yet there are patches of empty seats, I feel kind of decieved to an extent. Of course, a blackout does not equal a sellout, but you would think that the lower bowl seats would be very near full if a blackout was avoided.

It's almost as though the broadcasting teams are told to point the camera at select sections of the stadium to make the market look viable. I'm not trying to say that Jacksonville or St. Louis aren't capable of supporting an NFL team each, but it's beginning to look like a season of avoided blackouts (for both cities) doesn't quite hold the weight that it once seemed to do.

Of course, that St. Louis picture was taken towards the end of the first quarter, and as a Utah Jazz fan, I know that early in many home games (about up to halfway through the first quarter), fans are still coming in to sit down, so a first-quarter picture isn't always the best gague for attendance.

However, there is no real open parking next to the Building Formerly Known as the Delta Center, and I don't know about the parking by the Edward Jones Dome or EverBank Stadium (if those are indeed the names). But an NFL quarter is 15 minutes as opposed to 12 minutes for an NBA quarter, and there are only 8 home games in the NFL regular season as opposed to 41 for the NBA, and an NBA arena, on average, holds about 20,000 people instead of 60,000+ for the NFL, as well as tailgating for most NFL games, so I wouldn't know for sure.

All I saw was a bunch of red at the Ed in St. Louis when the Kansas City Chiefs were in town, and plenty of teal--as in empty seats at EverBank--with a Week 16 Jaguars team that could win a division with Peyton Manning and the Colts in it. Both stadims had red and teal well into the lower bowl.

So, I won't try to harp on the Rams' or Jaguars' attendance like that again, as it's too early to say that either trend of avoiding blackouts (or selling out the building) will continue into 2011 and 2012 (if the 2011 season is played), but it's not entirely the rosy picture many have said about either city.

All this said, however, kudos to the Jaguars and Rams for avoiding the blackouts in the first place.

^^^^

That is odd...and dissapointing. Doesn't quite look as bad as St. Louis, but still...

Curious how bad St. Louis looks?

I read a lot of people suggesting the dome was never louder than it was at times last Sunday. The Rams are competitive again. Fans are back, end of story. Once again, the Rams will not move because of fan support. We as fans don't have 200 million dollars to build a new stadium, so we'll see how that plays out, but ticket sales are not going to lead to the Rams move, period.

I can't help but take the bait once a month or so.

No they aren't.

2010 attendance average: 52,922

2009 attendance average: 55,237 :blink:

Personally I think the Dome seemed incredibly loud because folks remembered (or were reminded by the players) that they are allowed to make noise period after 3-4 years of silence.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

All this said, however, kudos to the Jaguars and Rams for avoiding the blackouts in the first place.

It's not that hard....assuming ownership is willing to eat the loss on the tickets. Really, there is no reason any NFL team should be blacked out ever.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Interesting thing from that article - club seats apparently don't count against the blackouts. So you can have lousy markets like Jacksonville and (yes, I'm sorry to say) St Louis, and manage to avoid blackouts by eating up the unsold cheap seats.

If teams had to eat the cost of higher-priced tickets as well as the Uecker seats, they wouldn't be able to hide mediocre fanbases so easily.

Archived