Jaguars considering playing some games in Orlando

B-Rich

I go by Combined Statistical Areas whenever possible.

Why is that? Not saying you?re wrong by any stretch, just want to know why you lean towards that one.

Here's how Nielsen ranks the media markets. Not sure how this ranking was compiled though - if it's based on population, number of TV sets, households, etc.

http://www.tvjobs.com/cgi-bin/markets/market2.cgi

Combined can be somewhat misleading, as some metro areas are merged. Are DC and Baltimore really the same area? That's a serious question - I'm not sure. From my experiences there, I'd say not, since they each have their own media outlets, and aren't really viewed by locals as neighbors.

Here's the US CSA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_United_States_Combined_Statistical_Areas

Maybe Metropolitan Statistical Area would be a better indicator of a region's true market size?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_metropolitan_areas

Wow, those are some great compilation of statistics! It?s amazing how much different the Metropolitan Statistical Area is to everything else though!

What's the population within say 75 square miles of Salt Lake City? That's the difference between KC and Salt Lake City for sports purposes. KC is probably surrounded by a bunch of little towns that add up to a whole lot of people. The population of the entire state of Utah probably isn't as high as the population of KC and the surrounding area.

The Wasatch Front stretches roughly from Brigham City all the way down to Santaquin (121 miles), which consists of 80% of Utah's population, with Salt Lake City, Provo, and Ogden being the major cities along that range. The population for the Wasatch Front is roughly 2.1 million people. So yes, there are plenty of towns and cities within 75 miles of Salt Lake.

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Salt Lake has to wait behind Los Angeles, San Antonio, and Portland for an NFL team. I don't even know if Salt Lake City would be the 4th option. Either way, that's a whole lot of unnecessary relocation.

If you want to bring cities far away from Salt Lake City in as a factor, then Jacksonville should be raking in people from Orlando.

And if you want to make a case against San Antonio, Austin is only 90 miles away. Combine the Austin and San Antonio metro, that's about 3.7 million people. Austin is one of the fastest growing metropolitan areas in the whole United States, and San Antonio is growing fast as well.

Salt Lake has to wait behind Los Angeles, San Antonio, and Portland for an NFL team. I don't even know if Salt Lake City would be the 4th option. Either way, that's a whole lot of unnecessary relocation.

If you want to bring cities far away from Salt Lake City in as a factor, then Jacksonville should be raking in people from Orlando.

And if you want to make a case against San Antonio, Austin is only 90 miles away. Combine the Austin and San Antonio metro, that's about 3.7 million people. Austin is one of the fastest growing metropolitan areas in the whole United States, and San Antonio is growing fast as well.

And most of them are Cowboys fans. Who in their right mind would go into that situation?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Funny, considering San Antonio backed the Saints really well. Jerry Jones has even mentioned he wouldn't mind a 3rd team in Texas. In fact, he's for it.

I'm not saying it should happen, it's just much more logical and reasonable than an NFL franchise in Utah, whom I'm sure are mostly Broncos fans anyway.

Funny, considering San Antonio backed the Saints really well. Jerry Jones has even mentioned he wouldn't mind a 3rd team in Texas. In fact, he's for it.

I'm not saying it should happen, it's just much more logical and reasonable than an NFL franchise in Utah, whom I'm sure are mostly Broncos fans anyway.

I agree its more reasonable than Utah. But neither market is really a good idea.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I agree its more reasonable than Utah. But neither market is really a good idea.

I?m just saying Pro Football could work and be a success in the Salt Lake area, even though the odds of it happening within the next decade are very improbable. Nobody is saying Salt Lake is more deserving than San Antonio or Portland, but just like them, they have a legitimate shot.

I am led to believe that the DMA market for Salt Lake includes all of the state of Utah. So, that would pull in the entire Wasatch Front and any other town in the state, wether it be Logan, St. George, Cedar City, Moab, Price, Vernal, Kanab, Blanding, Panguitch, Castle Dale, Orderville, Escalante, Bluff, or Ticaboo.

Not to mention that this could also include northern Arizona, southwest Wyoming, southeastern Idaho, and eastern Nevada. That would mean that Preston, ID, Ely, NV, Page, AZ, and Evanston, WY could very likely be included in that DMA.

Then again, the DMA rankings put Jacksonville at 47. While most the attendees would come from Salt Lake, while those away from the Wasatch Front would generally watch on TV, similar to Jazz home games.

That said,I'd love to see a preseason NFL game played in Salt Lake or Provo, or have some kind of offseason camp held in the state. I've even emailed the Cardinals a year or so ago about holding a camp in St. George (to spread their fanbase north into southern Utah). Naturally, I still haven't gotten any returned feedback.

Well, Checketts did say Utah could be ready for the NFL in 10 years (that would mean about 2019 or 2020), so Utah will still primarily be Broncos/49ers/Raiders territory for at least that time.

Well, we do have the UFL looking at SLC, FWIW, so we should at least have some pro football. :upside:

Which even if it does is still only 2.7 million people compared to roughly the same amount in just northeastern Ohio. The point I was trying to make is that Salt Lake City's "market" no matter how much area it covers just isn't that big. I was also pointing out how many people can make up "out of market" fans. The Browns "market" is only about 2.5 million but when you add in the rural "unrated" areas that number easily doubles. That's the area where Salt Lake City would fall short; if we're basing this discussion solely on market size. As we all know, there a many other factors that go into it. For example, Columbus is Ohio's biggest "market" yet The Browns or Bengals would fail miserably if they moved there. Look at my avatar and you'll understand why. :D

Not that it's relevant to this particular discussion but I'd like to point out that despite the perception, Salt Lake City is not "mostly Mormons." I think Mormons only make up about 20% of Salt Lake City's population. Provo is "Mormon central."

BB52Big.jpg

That's what I mean; I'm just saying that, because the DMA includes all of Utah (and possibly then some), it is considered larger than the Kansas City DMA. However, the rest of the state would follow the Utah NFL team in a similar fashion to the Jazz--by watching from a distance in their home towns. That team would be well-known.

The main point I made, however, by that statement is that the DMA isn't just the metro area (for Salt Lake, that would likely mean the Wasatch Front) but rather the whole reach of the team's coverage (all of Utah and then some), so SLC isn't bigger than Kansas City. The other point I meant to make is that I'm not entirely counting out Salt Lake, but I'm certainly not holding my breath on the matter, either.

Well I?ve learned a lot from all your different point of views, and what all of you have brought to this discussion, so I thank you for enlightening me on the prospect of Utah getting an NFL team in the future, which is highly unlikely! thicon_lol.gif

Well I?ve learned a lot from all your different point of views, and what all of you have brought to this discussion, so I thank you for enlightening me on the prospect of Utah getting an NFL team in the future, which is highly unlikely! thicon_lol.gif

Don't give up so easily. No one thought Jacksonville would get a team. Everyone was convinced it would be Baltimore and Charlotte. Then everyone was positive LA would get the franchise that became The Houston Texans. Based on that, I'd have to say that Salt Lake City is the frontrunner. :D

BB52Big.jpg

Don't give up so easily. No one thought Jacksonville would get a team. Everyone was convinced it would be Baltimore and Charlotte. Then everyone was positive LA would get the franchise that became The Houston Texans. Based on that, I'd have to say that Salt Lake City is the frontrunner. :D

But Paul Tagliabue isn't the commish anymore, and the league realizes its mistake.

OK, I'll quit being a naysayer. Honestly, I like small market teams, like the Titans. I just find the idea of a smaller population rallying and backing a pro franchise as... poetic, for a lack of a better word. The reason I don't like the Jags in Jacksonville is because they fail to support them, Florida already had two NFL teams, and the city really backs Gators football.

But Paul Tagliabue isn't the commish anymore, and the league realizes its mistake.

OK, I'll quit being a naysayer. Honestly, I like small market teams, like the Titans. I just find the idea of a smaller population rallying and backing a pro franchise as... poetic, for a lack of a better word. The reason I don't like the Jags in Jacksonville is because they fail to support them, Florida already had two NFL teams, and the city really backs Gators football.

Looks like someone missed the joke.

BB52Big.jpg

I just find the idea of a smaller population rallying and backing a pro franchise as... poetic, for a lack of a better word.

Leaves of Astroturf.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

There was a joke? I could tell some slight sarcasm, but not a joke. I knew you weren't being serious, either way.

There was a joke? I could tell some slight sarcasm, but not a joke. I knew you weren't being serious, either way.

Semantics. And if you knew I wasn't being serious then why bother with a counterpoint? :D

BB52Big.jpg

Semantics. And if you knew I wasn't being serious then why bother with a counterpoint? :D

Because while you weren't being serious (though it's hard to tell on here), I thought it was a pretty interesting thing to say, and I felt the need to give my opinion on small markets and pro franchises. B)

I'd love to see the Jaguars move from Jacksonville to Los Angeles, since it would be a pretty nice move. However, it might create some kind of realignment problem in the AFC. If the Jaguars do indeed move to L.A., they would have to swap divisions with the Kansas City Chiefs. The Chiefs would move to the AFC South and the Jaguars would have to go to the AFC West.

So even though moving the Jaguars to L.A. sounds good, I think moving either the Raiders or the Chargers to Los Angeles would sound better. Meanwhile, I would move the Jaguars to Orlando, since that metropolitan area is larger than Jacksonville, and the Florida Citrus Bowl Stadium will most likely be renovated as part of the city's "Triple Crown for Downtown" project.

YOZXkBG.png?1

Archived