MiLB 2010 Changes

Blackjack76

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

new syracuse chiefs home jersey with black sleeves. eeeesh....

chiefsjerseysjpg-5ad6ee3f6c1f1df3_large.jpg

jerseylayoutjpg-31980b3dfde9e8a0.jpg

"The new jersey design is similar in color scheme and logo placement to the design introduced as part of the team?s re-branding before the 2007 season. However, the new design features all black sleeves and shoulders. The sleeve and shoulder design was inspired by Negro League uniforms of yesteryear and the Chiefs will be the only Minor League Baseball team to sport such a look in the upcoming season, the Chiefs said."

http://blog.syracuse.com/chiefs/2010/02/syracuse_chiefs_unveil_new_hom.html

I like the idea of the contrast raglans; it's one of those things that at least a couple of big-league teams ought to do. (Though it makes me think of the PCL more than the Negro Leagues.)

But score one for independent baseball, where the Sioux Falls Pheasants beat the Chiefs to the contrast-raglan thing and did a much better job of implementing it. Black over white just isn't an effective use of the style. The style calls for less brightness contrast than that; for Syracuse, blue would have been a better choice than black.

20082614447.png

I respectfully dissent; contrasting raglan sleeves are very minor-league to me. I prefer to keep things simple in the bigs, but I think they can look okay for a few farm clubs. Works well enough for Syracuse.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

IS it me, or does anyone else hate cap logos where the interlocked letters are the City AND Team initials? I suppose it started with the Rockies, but Christ on a cracker, if your city name is one word, use one letter. Quit trying to be all cool and interlocky and stuff.

I also hate ballcap logos where the letter is the team name's initial. Hear that, Goldeyes? Your re-do sucked.

"The new jersey design is similar in color scheme and logo placement to the design introduced as part of the team’s re-branding before the 2007 season. However, the new design features all black sleeves and shoulders. The sleeve and shoulder design was inspired by Negro League uniforms of yesteryear and the Chiefs will be the only Minor League Baseball team to sport such a look in the upcoming season, the Chiefs said."

Huh. And here I thought that the contrast sleeve going all the way to the yoke was because it was a lousy replica type that a lot of minor league teams with vest-styles sell to fans who can't really tell the difference.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

IS it me, or does anyone else hate cap logos where the interlocked letters are the City AND Team initials? I suppose it started with the Rockies, but Christ on a cracker, if your city name is one word, use one letter. Quit trying to be all cool and interlocky and stuff.

Interlocky is cool, but you can't force it. Maybe they're denoting "SyraCuse." I hate those cap logos too. I really dislike the Rockies' cap. Well, I really dislike their whole identity, from the name (all four teams should be Denver teams) to the sartorial (pinstripes on grey, Times New Roman-esque, lack of primary team color, mix-n-match) to clubhouse culture (Team Jesus!). Stupid Rockies.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I also hate ballcap logos where the letter is the team name's initial. Hear that, Goldeyes? Your re-do sucked.

Agree all around. Although I think it was the Brewers who started it with their "MB" glove logo. The California Angels did it the same season as the Rockies, don't know which came up with its design first.

Then there's that mess on the front of the Expos' caps. They not only used the city (sort of) and nickname initials, but they threw in some random letters just for the hell of it.

IS it me, or does anyone else hate cap logos where the interlocked letters are the City AND Team initials?  I suppose it started with the Rockies, but Christ on a cracker, if your city name is one word, use one letter. Quit trying to be all cool and interlocky and stuff.

Then there's that mess on the front of the Expos' caps.  They not only used the city (sort of) and nickname initials, but they threw in some random letters just for the hell of it.

Random letters? They used "ELB," or "Expos League Baseball," and those three letters together looked like a "M," for "Montreal." 

Is it me, or does anyone else hate cap logos where the interlocked letters are the City AND Team initials? I suppose it started with the Rockies, but Christ on a cracker, if your city name is one word, use one letter. Quit trying to be all cool and interlocky and stuff.

The Chiefs put the SC on their alt cap to mimic the DC alt cap of the parent club. Much like how a few years back the Rochester Redwings wore an FC cap in the style of the parent club's TC caps. Though the Redwings cap had the virtue of using initials so completely different from either the team or city names that nobody really had any idea what they were supposed to stand for. Obscurity can be a good thing. (It was like Flower City or something, a civic nickname. Sort of like if the Mets had an alt cap with the letters BA on it. Which, being the Mets, they totally should.)

Anyway, the Chiefs aren't really an example of city-and-team initials, like the Rockies or the Brewers back in the generic years, but an example of forcing the parent club's design onto their uniforms. That it winds up with both initials on the cap is sort of an accident of trying too hard elsewhere.

20082614447.png

Then there's that mess on the front of the Expos' caps. They not only used the city (sort of) and nickname initials, but they threw in some random letters just for the hell of it.

Random letters? They used "ELB," or "Expos League Baseball," and those three letters together looked like a "M," for "Montreal."

According to the Expos' own media guides, the letters were supposed to be an "e", a "b" and an "M". No "l" intended.

But even if they did, "Expos League Baseball" is a meaningless phrase. Doesn't appear to have meant anything to the club, not its legal name. The only reason for "Expos League Baseball" would be backfilling the existing initials. That's what I meant by throwing in random letters.

Not to mention that it barely looks like an "M" - you'd never read it as such without prior knowledge - which is why I said they "sort of" used the city initial.

Looks like we get a peek at the Emeralds' new uniforms, as they have unveiled the new mascot (Sluggo):

evH3dcXP.jpg

If this is it, I like 'em. The pinstripes and piping is a bit busy, but has a visual lineage with the club. And I've never liked using "Ems" on the jersey.

Here's the previous one:

pMLB2-2499335dt.jpg

new syracuse chiefs home jersey with black sleeves. eeeesh....

chiefsjerseysjpg-5ad6ee3f6c1f1df3_large.jpg

jerseylayoutjpg-31980b3dfde9e8a0.jpg

"The new jersey design is similar in color scheme and logo placement to the design introduced as part of the team?s re-branding before the 2007 season. However, the new design features all black sleeves and shoulders. The sleeve and shoulder design was inspired by Negro League uniforms of yesteryear and the Chiefs will be the only Minor League Baseball team to sport such a look in the upcoming season, the Chiefs said."

http://blog.syracuse.com/chiefs/2010/02/syracuse_chiefs_unveil_new_hom.html

If they're going to refuse to be the Jays affiliate they could at least stop using the colour scheme and general similarity of uniforms

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Archived