3D Rendered Helmet Tutorial

Davidson

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could somebody create a layer with a stripe on it by chance? I've tried to draw one on photoshop elements 7 many times and just can't get it to look smooth whatsoever on my helmet. It comes out very blocky looking.

4. once you have done that you should start to see the semblance of a 3d helmet. however we need to create an alpha channel to separate the helmet from the background and get rid of the scraggy edges. the next bit is slightly tricky. it goes as follows.

a. open the 'mask' layer in a new window.

b. copy the mask.

c. select the folder in the helmet file you have just created and click the 'add layer mask' button at the bottom of the 'layer console' (it is shown as a white circle in a dark square)

d. now hit the channel tab to open the channel console, inside the channel console you will see 5 layers. RGB, Red, Green, Blue and lastly a layer called 'mask'.

e. click the little eye icon to make this layer visible and paste the mask layer into it.

f. now click the eye off to get rid of the red visible mask.

your channel console should now look like this:

Masking.png

5. your helmet should now look like this:

TEMPLATE_perspective_Test.png

6. finally by playing around with the ColourDesign layer you can add logos, stripes, change the colours and totally customise your own helmet.

below are my customised design layer and the finished helmet.

TEMPLATE_perspective_ExampleColourD.png

TEMPLATE_perspective_Example.png

i hope this is helpful. please post your own creations here for others to see.

if you would like other angles of the helmet, you can request them here and i will upload the respective layers.

cheers

fraser

• 1 month later...

now all we need is a tutorial on how to make our helmet stripes and logos realistically curved. :)

simple but requires illustrator:

1. take your logo.

warp1.png

2. draw a square around it and place your logo in the respective corner, depending upon how you want it to curve.

in this case, i would like it to curve up and to the left away from the camera so it goes top left. group the objects

warp2.png

3. apply warp>fisheye until satisfied. by moving the square about behind the logo you can achieve the correct perspective

by adjusting in real time.

warp3.png

4. expand the whole group, delete the square, et voila.

warp4.png

and thats how you warp your logo.

youll have to hand draw your stripes, but its really not that difficult. use the pen tool and adjust to fit.

fd

Appreciate all the templates and the tutorial. I'm attempting to warp a logo I have in illustrator per the instructions above. I actually did it with my first attempt. But now I can't get by a certain point. I apply the fisheye to image, but when I "delete the square", it removes the fisheye from the image. I have tried "ungrouping" the image and square first but this also removes the fisheye. How do I delete the square without removing the fisheye from the image?

Thanks!

now all we need is a tutorial on how to make our helmet stripes and logos realistically curved. :)

1. take your logo.

warp1.png

2. draw a square around it and place your logo in the respective corner, depending upon how you want it to curve.

in this case, i would like it to curve up and to the left away from the camera so it goes top left. group the objects

warp2.png

3. apply warp>fisheye until satisfied. by moving the square about behind the logo you can achieve the correct perspective

warp3.png

warp4.png

youll have to hand draw your stripes, but its really not that difficult. use the pen tool and adjust to fit.

fd

Appreciate all the templates and the tutorial. I'm attempting to warp a logo I have in illustrator per the instructions above. I actually did it with my first attempt. But now I can't get by a certain point. I apply the fisheye to image, but when I "delete the square", it removes the fisheye from the image. I have tried "ungrouping" the image and square first but this also removes the fisheye. How do I delete the square without removing the fisheye from the image?

Thanks!

You have to select Object>Expand Appearance THEN delete the square.

Thanks!

You have to select Object>Expand Appearance THEN delete the square.

Thanks so much! I've been kicking myself all day for not being able to figure that out. Appreciate it! Will post my first helmet momentarily!

• 5 weeks later...

Nice work, rhetoric. I think the last one is my favorite.

Here are a couple that I did - I'm having some issues warping the logos, since I don't have Illustrator. The 3D Transform function in Photoshop Elements doesn't quite provide the results I'm looking for, especially when the logo has a lot of straight lines, like the Twisters logo below.

Atoms Helmet.jpg

Brewers Helmet.jpg

Devils Helmet.jpg

Rams Helmet.jpg

Twisters Helmet.jpg

After a bit of Googling, I realized that there's a "Spherize" function in Elements under Filter -> Distort. I think that might do the trick. Check out the difference between these two Brewers helmets (besides the white outline which I forgot to include in the second logo):

Brewers Helmet.jpgBrewers Helmet 2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

1. take your logo.

warp1.png

warp2.png

warp3.png

warp4.png

fd

Does anyone know a way to do this in inkscape?

thanks

yankees-1.png

I'm stuck trying to make the template. I layered all the images, put them in a folder, but what do I do with the mask layer? What do you mean by open it in a new window? I clicked the group folder containing all the layers, and channel mixer, and all I see is this.

mretarded.png

Help me, I'm ready to put my fist through the screen.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived