NBA Court Designs - 2009-10

Wasatch

Ok, upon further review, here are my opinions (take them for what they're worth) of the NBA courts.

Charlotte: Desperately needs more color. I'd add orange or blue to the out of bounds area.

Denver: Needs some dark blue to it. I think a two-tone court would look good for Denver with the right combination.

Detroit: One of my favorites. No change needed.

Philadelphia: Great court design. But, the new uniforms seem out of place while in play.

Washington: Needs an overhaul. Less black and more blue. The two-tone doesn't work on this design.

Utah: All the Jazz's court have been a basic design. I'd like to see something more ... modern? Two-tone would work for the Jazz.

Toronto: Not a fan of the midcourt logo. Needs more red somewhere.

San Antonio: Less black. In fact I'd get rid of the black at the FT circle.

Sacramento: Time for a complete overhaul. Not a fan of anything of their package.

Portland: Love it! But, I would get rid of the half red FT circle.

Phoenix: One of the best. They need to deepen the color of the key back to the two-tone.

Orlando: Love the parquet floor. It works for them.

OKC: Move back to Seattle.

New York: Too plain. I would maybe do a two-tone or mix and match the colors a bit.

New Orleans: One of my favorite courts.

New Jersey: A return to the parquet floor would be great.

Minnesota: More color in the out of bounds. Add trees somewhere.

Milwaukee: Good design. It works for the Bucks.

Miami: Good design. I love the use of gold in the court.

Memphis: It works for them. Kinda plain though.

Lakers: More purple or Forum blue would be appreciated.

Clippers: Not bad for a team that has a horrible logo.

Indiana: IMO an unnecessary use of two-tone.

Houston: Much better than the first design. It works for Houston.

Golden State: I guess we'll just have to wait out for the overhaul next year.

Dallas: Good use of blues in the court design. I wouldn't change it.

Cleveland: Get rid of the half red FT circle and change the out of bound fonts both are too cartoony.

Chicago: Get rid of the basketball at midcourt and its perfect.

Boston: The classic court is quickly becoming crowded.

Atlanta: I hate the stained wood on the out of bounds area. Turn it to blue or red.

There you go! Take it for what it's worth!

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Personally, I'd like to see some teams return to the painted three point area courts.

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no.

Oh, but that herringbone Raptors court looks sweeeeeet. The Bucks should use really dark-stained herringbone. That'd look awesome with their colors, I feel.

Knicks thought: they should just put "Madison Square Garden" on the baselines to unclutter the court a bit. If any arena is worthy of having the name go where the team's name should go, it's that one.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Here's a vector version I did of Charlotte's court a while back, I prefer the 3 point area painted as well...looks great:

ColiseumCourt.png

Ok, this is awesome, except I swear the inside of the key had a beehive pattern, and the 3-point paint was all teal instead of half and half.

bSLCtu2.png

Ok, this is awesome, except I swear the inside of the key had a beehive pattern, and the 3-point paint was all teal instead of half and half.

This is what the court looked like in the latter stages, from as long as I can remember, in the late 90's, early 00's...not sure about earlier designs...

I had a few pictures for reference:

LargeDavisWallpaper1.jpg

I'll see if I can dig up a few older pictures...

Found it! You are correct sir, seen here:

1:31 Mark, Mugsy to Glen Rice for the jam :)

Gah, try holding back tears in that video, still breaks my heart...

Wow, great thread. Love seeing all of the courts in one place. It really allows you to compare all of them at once. thank you for this.

I have to say that one of my favorite courts has got to be the Memphis Grizzlies court. Just a really nice clean court. Their Grizzly logo is fantastic at center court. I usually don't like large logos at center court, but I'll make the exception for that one.

Here's a vector version I did of Charlotte's court a while back, I prefer the 3 point area painted as well...looks great:

ColiseumCourt.png

This and still today this day, my favorite court design.

Love it.

4kv29i.jpg

Personally, I'd like to see some teams return to the painted three point area courts. Like these ...

GM%20Place%20-%20GRIZZLIES.jpg

565920479_f8f31faed9.jpg

You gotta love the wood work on that court. Busy as hell, but awesome nonetheless.

I couldn't find decent pictures of Houston, Atlanta and Charlotte's courts, you get the idea.

Why did teams stop painting their courst like this? Anybody knows?

That Celtics court is 2 to 3 iterations old; are you sure you didn't upload an old version or something? Everything else looks so complete and you even have a Celtics logo in your sig!

But anyway, that one is missing the Red Auerbach signature, Celtics.com on the sideline; plus "TD BankNorth Garden" was moved to the center of the baseline for 2008-09 I think, and now is just TD Garden at the center of the baseline.

I really like the new 76ers court. The Bulls should get rid of the basketball behind the logo at center court. The rest of the court stays the same to keep the look like at the Chicago Stadium.

I really miss the court the Bucks had at the MECCA.

I would like to see a draw up of all the NHL rinks. Or the bigger project of the NCAA D-1 basketball.

If I had the skills I would try it.

Incidentally, I think the Celtics court looks pretty bad with ''td garden'' centered at the baseline, it would be much nicer off to once side like in 07-08.

I hated the paint between the 3 point line and key, that never looked professional to me; not clean at all. Especially the basketball for the top of the key looked childish. Courts seem to go through fads very often; there was that busy style of the 90s; we still are at the tail end of the no paint / stain only simplistic phase; and now the horrific two tone fad.

The funny thing is, probably any of these styles would be ok if it was in moderation; they would be unique and interesting. Leave the two tone to Milwaukee, for instance; it fits well with the tradition of the Mecca. But a bunch of copycats just makes things awful.

Found it! You are correct sir, seen here:

1:31 Mark, Mugsy to Glen Rice for the jam :)

Gah, try holding back tears in that video, still breaks my heart...

I am not a Hornets fan, but came close to shedding a tear there. The beehive court I believe was only around for one maybe two seasons. Additionally, the colored in three point line was only for the college three point line. Half was teal and half was purple there was no fade into the two colors.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

Personally, I'd like to see some teams return to the painted three point area courts. Like these ...

565920479_f8f31faed9.jpg

You gotta love the wood work on that court. Busy as hell, but awesome nonetheless.

I couldn't find decent pictures of Houston, Atlanta and Charlotte's courts, you get the idea.

That's a good question. The NBA is such a horrible copycat league that teams probably just went with the next best thing. But, I think one of the factors probably had to do with the change of the Three-Point line. Toronto, Houston, Vancouver, Atlanta and Charlotte did the painted three point line around 1995 and 1996. Most of them went back to a normal painted court in 1998 when the three-point line was moved back. I imagine it cost a pretty penny to repaint the new area. That's just speculation though.

Does anyone have a decent picture of Houston's painted three point area?

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

565920479_f8f31faed9.jpg

That's a good question. The NBA is such a horrible copycat league that teams probably just went with the next best thing. But, I think one of the factors probably had to do with the change of the Three-Point line. Toronto, Houston, Vancouver, Atlanta and Charlotte did the painted three point line around 1995 and 1996. Most of them went back to a normal painted court in 1998 when the three-point line was moved back. I imagine it cost a pretty penny to repaint the new area. That's just speculation though.

Does anyone have a decent picture of Houston's painted three point area?

No, but I found this:

sample.jpg

87Redskins.png

Archived