BYU in throwbacks against Utah

Mingjai

25th anniversary of the national title...Back when we could have a TRUE national champion, before the money crept in! I think every school which finishes its football season undefeated (INCLUDING the bowl game) but gets shut out of the national title game (think Auburn in '04 and Utah in '08) should stake a claim for national championships for their school!

(waits for members from Fort Worth and Cincy to applaud)

bYhYmxh.png

Obviously you don't know college football. Haven't you ever heard of the few split national champion and well, BYU's title wasn't exactly 100% unanimous as there were many people who didn't think they deserved it.

25th anniversary of the national title...Back when we could have a TRUE national champion, before the money crept in! I think every school which finishes its football season undefeated (INCLUDING the bowl game) but gets shut out of the national title game (think Auburn in '04 and Utah in '08) should stake a claim for national championships for their school!

What about Tulane 1998? They beat BYU in the Liberty Bowl.

And I love that the 1984 bowl game wasn't on TV. At all. Holiday Bowl, yes?

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

Ah yes, I forgot Tulane (My bad-it was actually the last good season the Green Wave have had, from what I remember)

BTW: 500th post (yay!)

bYhYmxh.png

I really thought these looked sharp. The royal blue stood out so much more. Off my memory, this might be the only (or one of the only) throwbacks that someone wore that didn't include a gray mask.

KISSwall09.jpg

Yeah, I hate the BCS too, but really the previous system did nothing to determine the true national champion. What has happened now in the last decade with the advent of the BCS and the promulgation of ESPN is that people are much more concerned with who is the best team. The system hasn't really changed the problem, it has just made a much more accessible target because it actually claims one of the games is the national championship.

I'd like to add that in the final year before the BCS, somehow Nebraska and Michigan both went undefeated and did not play against each other in a bowl game. If these two teams (with their fan bases) went undefeated, the BCS would be jumping at the opportunity to have them play for the national championship.

I wonder, however, if Utah would be considered National champions if the previous season had happened in 1985, as they were the only undefeated team.

The Holiday Bowl was indeed on TV. BYU beat Michigan, coached by Bo "BYU's holding! Passing is for sissies! They don't play like us men in the Big Ten!" Schembechler. Who won one fewer national championship than LaVell Edwards.

Packers-2.png

The Holiday Bowl was indeed on TV. BYU beat Michigan, coached by Bo "BYU's holding! Passing is for sissies! They don't play like us men in the Big Ten!" Schembechler. Who won one fewer national championship than LaVell Edwards.

That one made me smile--I believe the 1984 was on ESPN.

Anyway, here are some pictures:

2161689.jpg

2161388.jpg

2162215.jpg

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

I stand corrected--the pants stripes are the same as the current ones--the Northwestern stripes pattern. It should be a double stripe like the helmets.

Why is it so difficult for Nike and other manufacturers to get these details right?

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

Yeah, I hate the BCS too, but really the previous system did nothing to determine the true national champion. What has happened now in the last decade with the advent of the BCS and the promulgation of ESPN is that people are much more concerned with who is the best team. The system hasn't really changed the problem, it has just made a much more accessible target because it actually claims one of the games is the national championship.

I'd like to add that in the final year before the BCS, somehow Nebraska and Michigan both went undefeated and did not play against each other in a bowl game. If these two teams (with their fan bases) went undefeated, the BCS would be jumping at the opportunity to have them play for the national championship.

I wonder, however, if Utah would be considered National champions if the previous season had happened in 1985, as they were the only undefeated team.

Before the BCS system was set up, the winner of the Big Ten went to the Rose Bowl against the Pac-10 champ. It didn't matter who else was undefeated or what the rankings were, the champions of the Pac-10 and Big Ten played every year.

Back on topic, I really like the royal blue over the darker blue they have now. BYU has a very classic look that is simple but looks great. I think they have one of the better uniforms in the nation.

columbusdestroyersrf6.png

osuzd9.png

I applaud your stance on this! th1-pray.gif

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

So, BYU opts to drop Aggie Blue in favor of Cougar Blue, at least for one game!! (Coming from a Utah State student)

Seriously, current design or not, they need to wear the Royal Blue, not their current BYU Aggie Blue, full time and in all sports.

The BYU championship still stirs up hard feelings--not to take anything away from BYU--because it's just a reminder that Arizona State went unbeaten and untied twice during its time in the WAC and lost out in the title hunt to both Texas (lost to Notre Dame in the Cotton Bowl) and Nebraska (10-1-0) in 1970, then to Oklahoma (11-1-0) in 1975.

Needless to say they were the Utah and Boise State of their time. Fortunately BYU managed to slip in, but I don't think we'll be seeing TCU, Cincinnati, or Boise State in the championship game this year.

Oh yeah, uniforms. I'm no BYU fan but they should be wearing these full-time. And Arizona should go back to the white helmets. They may both be historic rivals, but even rivals should keep their best looks.

Oh yeah, uniforms. I'm no BYU fan but they should be wearing these full-time. And Arizona should go back to the white helmets. They may both be historic rivals, but even rivals should keep their best looks.

Even a Utah fan like me agrees with this!

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

Before the BCS system was set up, the winner of the Big Ten went to the Rose Bowl against the Pac-10 champ. It didn't matter who else was undefeated or what the rankings were, the champions of the Pac-10 and Big Ten played every year.

Back on topic, I really like the royal blue over the darker blue they have now. BYU has a very classic look that is simple but looks great. I think they have one of the better uniforms in the nation.

I know the Rose Bowl was where the Big Ten and Pac 10 champs played, I was just saying that it was an instance where the current system would have given us the right matchup for the "national championship".

And I agree with the royal blue being an upgrade to the navy.

Archived