Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

This is getting a huge bump because UAB's football program might be shut down.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11959176/uab-blazers-coach-bill-clark-fears-football-program-shut-down

If UAB shuts down, could Conference-USA drop UAB for that?

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/104283/uab-football-program-cant-outrun-past-escape-shadow-of-alabama

This article says they will. The C-USA would then have an even number of teams, but damn this sucks for UAB.

Actually, I thought Charlotte is a member of C-USA and will play a full-conference schedule next year. That would make it 13 teams and you get the problem the MAC has. C-USA should add James Madison or Liberty to even the number of teams.

UMass is leaving the MAC, so it will be back to 12 teams after 2015.

I think South Alabama is the logical replacement for UAB in the C-USA. Same state, program on the rise, etc...

I was thinking UMass might make the move to C-USA but I saw an argument on Twitter yesterday (forget who it was, maybe Wolken) that C-USA wants their schools to be all sports members and UMass probably wouldn't want to sacrifice their basketball program for a football home. The Minutemen roundball squad would rather play in the A-10 than C-USA.

I could see a western Fun Belt team trying to go for it such as NMSU, Texas State, ULL, or Arkansas State but South Alabama does allow the league to keep a foothold in the state of Alabama making it easier to pick off those recruits who were just a bit off of being SEC type players.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11959176/uab-blazers-coach-bill-clark-fears-football-program-shut-down

Sort of off-topic, but UAB's situation sounds just like Wisconsin's, where the UW Board Of Regents doesn't even try to pretend that the Badgers are the only athletics that matter to them. They refuse to approve a football team for UWM even though we're the largest school in D1 without one, and they won't let Whitewater upgrade to D2 despite having the quality of programs and facilities to do so.

EDIT: Apparently UWM is #2 in enrollment for non-football schools behind IUPUI. But even then, are we really supposed to believe that Indiana can support 5 D1 football teams (4 FBS, 1 FCS) and an NFL franchise, but Wisconsin can only have the Packers and Badgers?

Sort of off-topic, but UAB's situation sounds just like Wisconsin's, where the UW Board Of Regents doesn't even try to pretend that the Badgers are the only athletics that matter to them. They refuse to approve a football team for UWM even though we're the largest school in D1 without one, and they won't let Whitewater upgrade to D2 despite having the quality of programs and facilities to do so.

EDIT: Apparently UWM is #2 in enrollment for non-football schools behind IUPUI. But even then, are we really supposed to believe that Indiana can support 5 D1 football teams (4 FBS, 1 FCS) and an NFL franchise, but Wisconsin can only have the Packers and Badgers?

Indiana, the state, doesn't really support any of its football teams (Notre Dame survives with the vaunted national footprint.)

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

48,000 fans to see a team as terrible as Purdue is evidence of some type of support.

Even then, it says a lot about the UW System when a friggin basketball state has so many football programs, but a state that loves football as much as Wisconsin has only the Badgers, then a bunch of D3 programs. That'd be like Indiana having no D1 basketball except for the Hoosiers, or Minnesota having no D1 hockey except for the Gophers.

I think it's also worth pointing out that now that UTSA has a football team, Milwaukee is far and away the biggest media market that doesn't host an NFL team or a D1 college football program. If UAB drops football, Birmingham will replace Wichita for #2 on that list.

Apparently the death of UAB football is now official.

Was the UAB football program mismanaged and brought to the D1 level too quickly? Perhaps. But you can't tell me there isn't a market for college football in the biggest city in a state like Alabama. Especially when football programs have been successfully launched at other schools like UTSA, Charlotte, Old Dominion and Georgia State, which all share UAB's general profile (urban campus, large student population, former commuter school now doing research, etc.).

This has as much to do with the flagship school in Tuscaloosa acting in its own self-interest than anything else. They got in the way of every effort UAB made to get an on-campus stadium knowing what a liability Legion Field was to their program... hell, the Tide stopped playing in that cavernous dive themselves for a reason.

Apparently the death of UAB football is now official.

Was the UAB football program mismanaged and brought to the D1 level too quickly? Perhaps. But you can't tell me there isn't a market for college football in the biggest city in a state like Alabama. Especially when football programs have been successfully launched at other schools like UTSA, Charlotte, Old Dominion and Georgia State, which all share UAB's general profile (urban campus, large student population, former commuter school now doing research, etc.).

This has as much to do with the flagship school in Tuscaloosa acting in its own self-interest than anything else. They got in the way of every effort UAB made to get an on-campus stadium knowing what a liability Legion Field was to their program... hell, the Tide stopped playing in that cavernous dive themselves for a reason.

Not only was the stadium issue a part of this, but the Board of Trustees is heavily skewered towards Tuscaloosa. The board's role in the stadium issue and what went down with Jimbo Fisher is a part of the iceberg.

You got Bear Bryant's kid, who is the head of the Board, and I guess back in the early 90's he was pissed at Gene Bartow (former basketball coach and AD at UAB) because Bartow nearly busted Alabama for cheating. It's been said that before he retires, he wants to kill off UAB football as punishment for said actions.

Conference wise... UAB is done in C-USA. The best option is a swap: UAB goes to the Sun Belt (Where it was once a member) and South Alabama goes to C-USA.

I'm not sure C-USA needs Alabama for recruits when it has a presence in south Florida and Texas.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm not sure C-USA needs Alabama for recruits when it has a presence in south Florida and Texas.

Personally, I think it's more about location then recruits. C-USA has had UAB in the fold since the league's beginning, so losing a in Alabama creates a gap in the footprint. Adding South Alabama gives them another school in that state, not to mention that it's location (Mobile) can be quite a gem for the conference.

Personally, I think it's more about location then recruits. C-USA has had UAB in the fold since the league's beginning, so losing a in Alabama creates a gap in the footprint. Adding South Alabama gives them another school in that state, not to mention that it's location (Mobile) can be quite a gem for the conference.

You may literally be the first person in history to use Mobile and gem in the same sentence.

• Like 3
Today, we are all otaku.

You may literally be the first person in history to use Mobile and gem in the same sentence.

Well, I've never been to Mobile, so my assessment might be a tad bit rosy.

Alabama originally wasn't supposed to have a coastline but they wanted one. Florida said, "Sure, whatever. You can have Mobile. Who the :censored: cares about Mobile anyway?" and Alabama was happy.

• Like 1

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Sadly I think it's time for the Big 12 to go back to 12 teams. It was nice getting tons of money due to splitting the revenue only 10 ways but it came back to bite us.

No need for 12 teams. You can get a waiver to host a conference championship game with 10 teams... the SWAC does a CCG with 10 teams. Why can't the Big 12?

reading this thread just shows how stupid college football is. A "waiver" to host a championship game? The NCAA is ridiculous with its seemingly arbitrary rules, and this absurd playoff which is just as silly as the non-playoff. I get if there's a cap on the number of games you can schedule - that makes sense - but what's the rationale of saying yo need 12 teams to have a championship game? Why do they care?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Sadly I think it's time for the Big 12 to go back to 12 teams. It was nice getting tons of money due to splitting the revenue only 10 ways but it came back to bite us.

No need for 12 teams. You can get a waiver to host a conference championship game with 10 teams... the SWAC does a CCG with 10 teams. Why can't the Big 12?

The SWAC gets to have their precious little championship game because they traded playoff participation for it.

Today, we are all otaku.

Believe me if we can I would love that. There are no two teams that we can add that will bring in enough revenue to keep us getting the money we do now. That money really helps.