Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

So reading an article about how the Big XII really wants a larger presence in Florida through their bowl tie-ins but I imagine it goes deeper than that. Could they make a play now for South Florida???

Not a all. They just want to go East and face an more eastern opponent.

From the Orlando Sentinel in January...

The state of Florida currently hosts six bowl games: Orange ,Beef ‘O’ Brady’s, Gator, Outback, Russell Athletic, and Capital One Bowls however none of those game currently feature a tie-in with the Big 12.

The league’s current bowl tie-ins include the Cotton, Holiday, Insight, Meineke, New Era, Ticket City and Alamo Bowls.

ACC hoops really sucked from 79-91 due to a nine team conference.

The ACC had 8 teams during that period. FSU became the 9th team when it joined.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Despite this move by the ACC, I still think we will eventually see 4 power conferences who call the shots.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Despite this move by the ACC, I still think we will eventually see 4 power conferences who call the shots.

I agree - I also agree with you that 20-team conferences are very awkward, but I think that's where we are heading.

I think Big 10 and SEC will remain as conferences with added members, and there will be some kind of consolidation among those left in the PAC 12, ACC and Big 12 leaving only two of those three conferences remaining. How that shakes out will depend on who the SEC and Big 10 select as they expand.

I think you can bank on the Pac 12 (16?) (20?) will be one of the last four. No way are the California schools ever leaving the conference, and no chance the Oregon and Washington schools are leaving for a conference that doesn't have the California schools.

so i guess its a race to gut the big xii if the sec, big10, acc and pac12 are stable and there "can only be 4 power conferences" right?

SEC is your Conference currently lacking a grant of media rights setup. No buyout either.

(Yes, I understand why in both cases.)

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

so i guess its a race to gut the big xii if the sec, big10, acc and pac12 are stable and there "can only be 4 power conferences" right?

SEC is your Conference currently lacking a grant of media rights setup. No buyout either.

(Yes, I understand why in both cases.)

I dont understand why, enlighten me.

Nobody wants to leave the SEC.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Nobody wants to leave the SEC.

The fact that you had to actually explain this is somewhat appalling. I fear for our Interwebs.

butthurt-dweller-on-bed-time-photo-u2.jpg

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I'd say the end of the Big XII is in sight. A few years ago, Nebraska, Missouri, and A&M wouldn't have dreamt of leaving. Nor would the conference brass entertain the thought of TCU joining.

It's only a matter of time.

Sigs are for sissies.

The Big Ten had apparently looked into Oklahoma, Kansas and Vanderbilt. Infer what you will.

http://collegesports...om-big-12.html/

It's also been announced that the semi-finals of the 2014 FBS playoff will take place at the Rose and Sugar Bowls, and the championship game at Cowboys' Stadium in Dallas. If there wasn't pressure for 4 mega-conferences already, I think that the advent of playoffs may force it.

With two semi-finals, you're going to get the champions of 4 major conferences most years. The 5th champion will be left out.

I could honestly see something that looks a lot like NFC (PAC + B1G) versus AFC (SEC + ACC/B12) coming in future years.

UyDgMWP.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Today, we are all otaku.

Southern Conference is looking at VMI

http://www.timesdisp...6d4fcaffa4.html

Its time to bring back the rivalry between The Citadel.

campus visits to ETSU and Mercer later this month too.

Why not take all 3? The SoCon is loseing schools left and right(app st, ga southern., c of c and Davidson)

I think they will most likely take 2 or all 3. If they take all 3 it will put the SoCon at 11 so that probably means 1 more invite, or 1 more departure. If they take 2 they are at a good 10 team conference. I could picture them taking all 3 and UNCG leaves the conference (then you have a full 10 football team league). Alternatively, a team like Elon could be looking to ship out to the CAA.

If they all stay and are at 11 I think CCU is probably the next candidate in line.